• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

I take it with a grain of salt, since there's no quote from Holland specific to Quincey, but this makes me ill to read:

The Red Wings would be interested in re-signing defenseman Kyle Quincey to a short-term deal if the price was right. But defensemen will be at a premium in a thin free-agent class, so Quincey is sure to explore the market and likely get a better offer from another team.

"I told some of our free agents if the term and number fit what we want to do we're interested," Holland said.

Khan tends to be a pretty good source for info too.

Link

The Red Wings would be interested in re-signing defenseman Kyle Quincey to a short-term deal if the price was right.

Honestly, no one should be surprised by this AT ALL.

I take it with a grain of salt, since there's no quote from Holland specific to Quincey, but this makes me ill to read:

Link

Honestly, everyone wants us to sign a dman in free agency and if he plays like he did end of last year, there's not a ton on the market better. Those that are better want long deals. Lock up Q to play on the third pair while the kids develop and get shots isn't the worst thing that could happen. Plus, the devil you know.. Edited by nawein

Honestly, everyone wants us to sign a dman in free agency and if he plays like he did end of last year, there's not a ton on the market better. Those that are better want long deals. Lock up Q to play on the third pair while the kids develop and get shots isn't the worst thing that could happen. Plus, the devil you know..

Nope. Other players are better, at least until they get to Detroit and people see their flaws, then they suck too.

Honestly, everyone wants us to sign a dman in free agency and if he plays like he did end of last year, there's not a ton on the market better. Those that are better want long deals. Lock up Q to play on the third pair while the kids develop and get shots isn't the worst thing that could happen. Plus, the devil you know..

I was going to say this. The free agent market is thin, and for all of Quincey's short-comings, he does have his strengths that the Wings need. I'm more comfortable with Quincey playing regular minutes than any of the kids from GR. Perhaps at the end of this season I'll think differently, but as it stands I think holding onto Quincey is in the Wings' best interest.

I'd only want Quincey back if he came dirt cheap and was stuck on the third pairing. But then, three years of Quincey on the third pairing, for dirt cheap? Might as well just give Ouellet or Marchenko the spot. So, no - I don't want Quincey back. We wouldn't be bringing him back because he's especially good or helpful, we'd be bringing him back because...um...I dunno. Familiarity? I guess? Um...CUP OR BUST BABY!!! WINGS IN 2015!!! WOOHOO!!!

(All of this assumes there's only one spot on the blue line open, not counting the one that's probably going to go to a kid. So, our solution to this season's problems would basically be re-signing Quincey. Awesome.)

Guest DeGraa55

Problem with Quincey is they don't put him where he belongs. On the third pairing.

I'd put kronwall with smith or dekeyser(smith preferably) then the other with Ericsson and that's a good top four.

Quincey in the third doesn't bother me it's just him with dekeyser or smith that hurts.

Problem with Quincey is they don't put him where he belongs. On the third pairing.

I'd put kronwall with smith or dekeyser(smith preferably) then the other with Ericsson and that's a good top four.

Quincey in the third doesn't bother me it's just him with dekeyser or smith that hurts.

I know you meant to say "on the third" ...but Quincey IN THE THIRD is EXACTLY when he bothers me.

Timely gaffes guaranteed.

Edited by e_prime

Guest DeGraa55

I know you meant to say "on the third" ...but Quincey IN THE THIRD is EXACTLY when he bothers me.

Timely gaffes guaranteed.

Lol ya...on a iPhone of course something is wrong!!

Some would be ok with Q coming back at a good price? WTF? Have you watched him play? Q at ANY price is a bad deal. He has played poorly for us. Maybe it is the pressure maybe it is a lack of talent, thought, or whatever. But the fact remains he has been terrible for us since we spent a 1st round pick to get him. If he was willing to play for free I still don't want him. if we are going to have guys making mistakes on our BL, I would rather it be a 20 year old with upside. They could get better, Q will not.

We are not even to the draft and already the tide is turning for many. Stand pat and we will get better seems to be the new mantra for the month of June. That is NOT a recipe for success in the up coming year. We won 39 of 82 games this past year, squeaked into the PO's and got bounced in 5 games. But some expect us to improve by not adding talent? LOL

Added health of Z and Pav plus the added experience for guys like Gus, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and we will be a better team next year if we go in with the exact same roster. If Boyle gets locked up, Niskanen wants too much money, Mitchell resigns, everyone else moderately young wants a long term deal, who out there do you propose could come in and be decent defensively (which Q was most of last year) and get our system right away without a learning curve? And don't say Greene, because a Greene Lashoff pair would be the slowest defensive pair in the world and get eaten alive by speed.

Link

Unless that price is around the 1 mill per for a year or two range, hard pass.

I don't really want Quincey back either, and I'm sure no one really thinks we should "definitely" bring him back. But I'm in the same boat as a few others, Quincey back would definitely not be the worst thing that we could do. Could we do better? Probably, but to say that "Q at ANY price is a bad deal" is ridiculous. My question to you is Have YOU watched him play? Actually better again Do YOU even watch the "Detroit Red Wings" on a regular basis or do you just catch highlights and check stats? Because some (most) of your posts on here make me believe (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this) that you don't "watch" many games...

Quincey was one of our most consistent defensemen in the second half of the season. He was steady and reliable and bailed us out on a few occasions. There was a point where there wasn't a defender on our team that I would rather defend a two on one then Quincey. But in saying all that he was horrendous in the first half and his huge turnaround could very well have been due to it being a contract year.

I would probably pass on Quincey, because I believe we will have better options and I also believe Quincey will have better options as well. If he was a righty I think I would probably be more inclined in keeping him around but he is not, so I think a player like Tom Gilbert would be a better option.

Added health of Z and Pav plus the added experience for guys like Gus, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and we will be a better team next year if we go in with the exact same roster. If Boyle gets locked up, Niskanen wants too much money, Mitchell resigns, everyone else moderately young wants a long term deal, who out there do you propose could come in and be decent defensively (which Q was most of last year) and get our system right away without a learning curve? And don't say Greene, because a Greene Lashoff pair would be the slowest defensive pair in the world and get eaten alive by speed.

Assuming the health of players who are on the wrong side of 30 in an increasingly more physical league isn't the safe bet to make. I would eat my hat if you don't see one of the Kronwall, Zetterberg, Datsyuk or Howard miss a considerable amount of time, and would dress in drag if all of them played 80 regular season games next year.

The chances of Z and Datsyuk both playing more than 70 games is small. With Kronwall and Franzen both also being in their mid 30 and also dealing with injuries, this is the new norm for all 4 of them. Yes some of the kids will get better. some will remain the same, and some will get worse. happens to every team every year. The sophmore slump will hit several of them. Which ones? No idea. So yes at the end of the year if we stand pat we will end up in a all to familiar spot: fight for the last PO spot, 50-50 chance of making it, and if we do out in the first round. These rinse and repeat seasons are getting old.

Considering they both played 45 last year I'd be okay with them playing 70 each. That would actually be added health, and we'd have a better record because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding a piece on the back end. But I'd rather look beyond the "he's big and strong and can hit" or the "he just scored a lot of points" in a contract year and is going to get more than he's worth. It needs to be the right piece. A guy that can help now that won't need a long term deal and end up holding the kids back. If we go the trade route and can get an elite quality dman for some prospects or young guys, do it. Obviously. I don't want to stand pat, but a third pairing guy who lnows the systems to help the kids wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Considering they both played 45 last year I'd be okay with them playing 70 each. That would actually be added health, and we'd have a better record because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding a piece on the back end. But I'd rather look beyond the "he's big and strong and can hit" or the "he just scored a lot of points" in a contract year and is going to get more than he's worth. It needs to be the right piece. A guy that can help now that won't need a long term deal and end up holding the kids back. If we go the trade route and can get an elite quality dman for some prospects or young guys, do it. Obviously. I don't want to stand pat, but a third pairing guy who lnows the systems to help the kids wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

2 things: Boyle doesn't know the system-never played for Babs before and 2. If all of the kids are in GR how does Boyle help them? he doesn't/can't.

Which brings me back to the begining. What is gained by a Boyle signing? Nothing IMHO.

2 things: Boyle doesn't know the system-never played for Babs before and 2. If all of the kids are in GR how does Boyle help them? he doesn't/can't.

Which brings me back to the begining. What is gained by a Boyle signing? Nothing IMHO.

Here here. :clap:

I was talking about Quincey in this thread, Boyle in the other. Boyle helps our puck movement and PP. Quincey gives the kids a dman that knows our system to play with. Edited by nawein

I was talking about Quincey in this thread, Boyle in the other. Boyle helps our puck movement and PP. Quincey gives the kids a dman that knows our system to play with.

Boyle theoretically helps our PP. Taking on someone of his age doesn't work out just as often as it does. IMO you're better off signing or trading for a guy in his prime and giving the third pair to your two best kids. If they struggle, you can always trade for a third pair stay at home defender for relatively cheap. It's not like we don't have the assets.

Like I said, I don't want Quincey either, but it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. The only guy in his prime we could sign would be Niskanen. And I still think he will want too much money. If he doesn't and we get him, and that makes Smith expendable, that would be perfect. But I don't think that's realistic possibility.