• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Evander Kane may be on the market

Like said a couple weeks ago, kid is a gem. His production thus far puts him where Patrick Kane was at his age, and Patrick Kane has always been surrounded by quality players, whereas Evander Kane has played with plugs. I don't care about his attitude or whatever. Patrick Kane's a ****** nozzle but he's white and he plays for an elite team and he's, like, totally reformed. (SHOWTIME!)

As for the Oilers...pass on all their forwards, unless they're thinking about moving Hall or RNH. I love Klefbom and Nurse.

IF the price were right, I might take a chance on Perron. (I know, I know. Concussion issues.)

Actually what it's saying is since he's 35+ the bonuses might not be deferable and will cause the team to be assessed penalties

No you're definitely interpreting it wrong. It's just outlining the details of over 35 performance based contracts.

There is no mysterious extra penalty.

Under the CBA, Article 50.2(b)(i)©(2), there are only three groups of players which may have performance bonuses tied to their contracts. They are: players on entry-level deals; players who have 400 games of experience and were injured last season; and anybody who is over 35. In both of the latter two cases, the only way performance bonuses are allowed is if the player is on a one-year deal.

At 40 and one a one-year deal, Alfredsson qualifies for such bonuses. Unlike on entry-level deals, performance bonuses for 35+ players are not limited by the Exhibit 5 bonus rules and can be more open-ended. Unfortunately, in this case, we don't know what the specific criteria are for Alfredsson to achieve his two million, but we do know how a similar contract is built.

So there we stand. The Red Wings may exceed the cap by 7.5% through the use of performance bonuses. For this year with the cap being at $64.3M, that amount comes out to $4.8225M.

If Alfredsson earns his $2M in bonuses, that amount will count against this year's cap hit. Some will say it will roll forward to next year, but that's not exactly true. The way it's calculated is that if he earns the bonus, it will count against the Red Wings' cap hit for this year. Given that, if that amount puts the Wings over the $64.3M cap, they will realize the difference as a cap penalty next season, meaning the overage will be deducted from their available space.

While right now, the Wings aren't over the cap and wouldn't see the overage make a difference, we can expect that they might do so. If this is the case, then what the Red Wings are doing is trading future cap space for additional room this season. Considering the salary cap is expected to rise, what they are doing is using the Alfredsson bonus to turn 3.1% of available cap space into a lower percent * simply by virtue of making it count later.

LINK

Guest DeGraa55

Also, the Globe and Mail article says Alfie's 3 million dollar bonus will hurt us significantly, but, if we buyout Tootoo, that takes off 1.9 million. From what I've heard anyway, we won't be pushing up against the cap with Cleary, Sammy, Bert coming off the books.

Ya we won't. Not like Kenny will sign any good UFAS or make some good trades.

The Detroit Red Wings are sticking with Jonas Gustavsson as their backup man.

Indications are the Wings will soon re-sign Gustavsson, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency come July 1.

"I've been talking to Gustavswson's agent,' general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today. "He played good for us. We'd like to keep him."

Gustavsson, 29, went 16-5-4 last season, with a .907 save percentage and 2.63 goals-against average, rebounding from a terrible debut year with Detroit in the lockout-shortened 2013 season.

Gustavsson is coming off a two-year, $3 million deal. He'd like another two-year deal, while the Wings are pushing for a one-year contract.

There had been some debate within the organization whether to risk keeping Gustavsson - as dependable as he was most of last season, he is also dependably hurt for stretches, especially prone to groin pulls - or give young Petr Mrazek a shot. Ultimately the decision favored keeping Gustavsson, a veteran, and leaving Mrazek to mature for another season with Grand Rapids.

LINK

Guest DeGraa55

Gus played well, but this should be a one year deal max. Mrazek needs to play with the big boys

Agreed. But I don't mind two years either considering monster is always injured and mrazek will get his chances.

Crazy upside and potential, IMHO. I feel like he could be a superstar on a more skill-based team...like ours. Really big body. Sick puck skillz. Defensively responsible. I'm just pipedreaming here, because we're not adding a 2C, let alone one we'd have to pay out the ass to acquire (Berglund probably fits that mold, hence me saying this), but...the thought of Zetterberg and Berglund on the same line, and it's our second line, and Mantha's a 30-goal-scorer on the first line, on Datsyuk's right wing...oh man.

While I'm pipedreaming about Blues players, let me say that Shattenkirk is probably #1 on my list of desirables. I'd even take him over Wayne Simmonds.

Berglund never uses his size. He plays like he is 5'4 out there. And he has been horrendous on a much better Blues team. Why would he flower here?

St Louis would gladly send him packing for a beer guy and compensated parking pass.

Shatty is the best player they have that has a chance of moving. And I don't think the Blues would take Z for him. Any trade with Detroit will demand our youth.

No you're definitely interpreting it wrong. It's just outlining the details of over 35 performance based contracts.

There is no mysterious extra penalty.

LINK

Yeah, your link contradicts this:

@TSNBobMckenzie

However much salary cap increases, DET won't be able to take full advantage. Wings have more than $3M in bonus overage carrying forward.

Personally I believe Bob Mckenzie when he says it's more than 3 million than I do a blog that says it's around 2.

Yeah, your link contradicts this:

Personally I believe Bob Mckenzie when he says it's more than 3 million than I do a blog that says it's around 2.

That doesn't say there is some mysterious extra penalty. All it says is that bonuses were more than some think. However, the bonus was $2million. He is correct, where his understanding falls short is that the wings were allowed to allocate even more cap space to this season. I believe it was somewhere in the range of $4mil so they chose to differ an extra mil or so in order to ice a full lineup.

Typical Holland....re-sign Monster and be riddles with injuries again... Holland is an idiot if he re-signs monster, there are FAR better back-ups out there to sign and at the same price and term...oh wait, we got a far better one in Mrazek already signed. Get ready for Q and Cleary to be back along with Alfredsson. The only UFA's you are going to see Holland get are unproven, undrafted projects... No Cup again. Holland could give two s***s about getting Datsyuk another Cup in the next 3 years....didn't he learn from the Lidstrom retirement that once your star realizes that you aren't making any efforts to get the Cup, he will stop re-signing. Holland probably thinks that in 3 years Datsyuk will start signing one year contracts until he is 42. Think again Holland, youf****** idiot. Hey, instead of finding healthier, better players, lets just keep the ones that SUCKED the entire year. f*** this!

Hey Kenny, it didn't work last season, so lets keep the same players and cross our fingers this year! I'm sorry, but the only team IMO that should be looking to keep 99% of the same players is the LA Kings, the 29 other teams should be looking for changes, from the contenders tweaking to the pretenders making huge changes. The Wings fall closer to the pretender category than they do contender, so they need significant upgrades in certain area's and re-signing players that consistently hurt you is not the way to go...need upgrade is scoring, defense and goaltending...we don't need to sign someone and hope he stays healthy...especially one who has been hurt EVERY year of his career thus far!

Edited by LeftWinger

Berglund never uses his size. He plays like he is 5'4 out there. And he has been horrendous on a much better Blues team. Why would he flower here?

St Louis would gladly send him packing for a beer guy and compensated parking pass.

Shatty is the best player they have that has a chance of moving. And I don't think the Blues would take Z for him. Any trade with Detroit will demand our youth.

I wasn't saying we should move Z. I was saying I'd like to see Z and Berglund as linemates on the Wings. Though, while we're on the subject, I have a feeling they'd be pretty ok with Zetterberg for Shattenkirk.

I like Berglund a lot. Typically, if I say I like a certain player, I've got a mental list of at least a dozen solid reasons why I'd like him on the Wings. Not so with Berglund. It's mostly just "a feeling." FWIW, there's some fancy stats informing that feeling, but I'm choosing to embrace one of two diametrically opposed conclusions that one could draw from some of the underlying numbers in question, and I'm doing so based on a fuzzy notion that isn't quantifiable in terms of any established metric. (I don't think 3C on the Blues is the optimal spot for him. I believe he's better suited for our team and style and systems, given the right linemates and usage and whatnot.)

You're right that he probably wouldn't cost much at all, but I interpet the Berglund+Rattie+something for Spezza talk as an indication that we'd probably have to overpay for him, simply because they might be able to get Jason Spezza for him (I believe they might be able to), and if so, we'd have to offer something better than Jason Spezza, which would mean "paying out the ass" for him.

I know it doesn't make sense. I know calling him defensively responsible would make a lot of Blues fans s*** their pants. But Gaborik to LA had everyone scratching their heads. Granted, Team Lombardi had really done their homework. I don't have those resources; I'm not a GM. But if you put a gun to my head and said HONORS THESIS ABOUT THE WONDERS OF PATRIK BERGLUND, I could probably make a compelling case.

Also, he's Swedish.

Edited by Dabura

Typical Holland....re-sign Monster and be riddles with injuries again... Holland is an idiot if he re-signs monster, there are FAR better back-ups out there to sign and at the same price and term...oh wait, we got a far better one in Mrazek already signed. Get ready for Q and Cleary to be back along with Alfredsson. The only UFA's you are going to see Holland get are unproven, undrafted projects... No Cup again. Holland could give two s***s about getting Datsyuk another Cup in the next 3 years....didn't he learn from the Lidstrom retirement that once your star realizes that you aren't making any efforts to get the Cup, he will stop re-signing. Holland probably thinks that in 3 years Datsyuk will start signing one year contracts until he is 42. Think again Holland, youf****** idiot. Hey, instead of finding healthier, better players, lets just keep the ones that SUCKED the entire year. f*** this!

I think an injury prone Monster for one year would actually be a really good situation. That way, Mrazek gets another year being Starter in GR, but also gets to play some NHL games when Monster inevitably goes down with the pulled groin.

I previously said I wanted Nabokov - and he would be great -, but it's going to be hard to get any quality backup to come here for just one year. Because of his injury problems, Monster probably wouldn't be in huge demand and hopefully will be willing to make it a one year deal. If he signs for 2 years I won't like it.

P.S. Impressive Rant.

Aren't they really high on him?

They may be. I can see why. ...but if they're unwilling to trade Hall, Eberle, RNH and MacT wants to make some moves, Perron may be tradeable. Other than that it's Gagner and Yak that I can see as movable pieces. I've no interest in Gagner and Yakupov isn't the high on my list either.

P.S. Impressive Rant.

Don't encourage him.

Cue mass destruction.. from St. James

"The team also has been in talks with forward Cleary; despite a subpar and injury-plagued season, the Wings will be good to the word they gave to Cleary last fall when he left behind money and terms with Philadelphia to sign for one year and $1.75 million with Detroit. At the time, there was a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary past 2013-14. The most likely scenario has Cleary agreeing to a two-way contract that would enable the Wings to put him in the minors if he does not succeed in challenging for a job at training camp."

:scared:

Cue mass destruction.. from St. James

"The team also has been in talks with forward Cleary; despite a subpar and injury-plagued season, the Wings will be good to the word they gave to Cleary last fall when he left behind money and terms with Philadelphia to sign for one year and $1.75 million with Detroit. At the time, there was a verbal agreement the Wings would take care of Cleary past 2013-14. The most likely scenario has Cleary agreeing to a two-way contract that would enable the Wings to put him in the minors if he does not succeed in challenging for a job at training camp."

:scared:

Seriously?

......Seriously?

Ales Hemsky's rights are being shopped by Ottawa now that he rejected a 3 year 10 million dollar deal per Lebrun.

Yea, don't overpay for that garbage. He should have taken that money and ran with it. He fit really well in Ottawa

Having thought about Gus coming back on a 1 year deal, actually it makes a lot of sense:

• Gus played well and carried us last year for a good portion when Howie was out and struggling. Nothing wrong knowing you've got a capable backup there who can step in. Plus, I thought he played well on very short notice in the playoffs.
  • Mrazek only has 11 games NHL experience. I know, I know, I think he'll be our number 1 guy in 3 years time, but is there really the need to rush him? I'm postulating here, not stating this as my opinion - I'd personally like to see Mrazek as the backup
  • This is the last year of that Mrazek is waiver exempt, so this is likely the last chance he'll get to have some 'seasoning' and say for example, he started struggling if the Wings brought him up, they could send him back down to GR to work on his game.
  • Not suggesting this is the way the Wings operate, but as Mrazek is an RFA next season, if he doesn't play many more NHL games, he hasn't got a lot of bargaining power. I think the Wings might be fully aware of the fact that this guy is going to be damn good, and now they've got Howard locked up for 5 years, I don't know if they'd want to face the scenario where Howard's got 3 years left on his deal and Mrazek is already showing he's a better goalie. Keeping Mrazek down for another year means the Wings can better control his salary increments so that it doesn't clash too much with Jimmy. Just my thoughts

As for Clearly, if it's a 2 way deal then fine. Just as long as he plays well if/when he gets called up to Detroit.