• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Watching NHL network right now while I have the time, and couldn't help but mention that they interviewed Poile and he stated that he's still modeling the Preds off the wings current system. He also mentioned the spurs, comparing them to the wings, but ya kno, more basketballish

If your entire strategy for winning a Cup someday is "the kids will fix it", doesn't it behoove you to actually...ya know...get the kids in the lineup?

Since it's pretty clear there's no will to go trade or get a free agent who would actually improve this team, why bother signing anyone at all? Personally, I'd much rather see Sproul and Marchenko/Ouellet as a third pair, and Jurco, Mantha, or Pulkkinen than see us go out and acquire somebody like Stralman, Gilbert, Boyle, Alfredsson, Cleary, etc. etc. etc.

At this point, the most optimistic outcome is that all available spots go to the kids who most deserve them. But even that is starting to look like a pipedream. What the f***?

Edited by kipwinger

I'm going to reserve my frustration, depression, loss of will to live, rage towards Ken Holland's existence till after July 1st.

We've got the draft upcoming - June 27, 28.

Compliance buyouts that can happen until June 30th and Free Agency that begins on the first.

This is a frustrating two weeks where the Finals are over and almost nothing but speculation can happen.

So, let's all take a deep breath and collect ourselves. Some of us are beginning to sound like frantic lunatics.

Some of us are already there.

Hell, maybe the site needs to change it's name for the week.

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

I'm not overly concerned about our lack of size up front. Suppose we sign Pouliot and trade, I dunno, Tatar and a pick and a prospect for Blake Wheeler. In theory, we could have...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Mantha

Franzen Weiss Wheeler

Pouliot Sheahan Nyquist

Abdelkader Helm Jurco

We also have Campbell, Nastasiuk, Athanasiou, and Nosek in the pipeline, and we might add, say, Brendan Perlini at the draft.

Rosterbation!

I'm going to reserve my frustration, depression, loss of will to live, rage towards Ken Holland's existence till after July 1st.

Compliance buyouts that can happen until June 30th and Free Agency that begins on the first.

This is a frustrating two weeks where the Finals are over and almost nothing but speculation can happen.

So, let's all take a deep breath and collect ourselves. Some of us are beginning to sound like frantic lunatics.

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

I get what you're saying buddy, and we spoke about this last night. I definitely don't want to fall into doomsday land, but at the same time I legitimately feel like many of us are dangerously close to crossing the line between wanting to acquire players that help us win, and wanting to acquire players just so we don't feel like management has lost it. I'm all about the former, but believe doing nothing at all is better than than the latter. If stop gaps are all that's likely to happen, I'd prefer to see these young guys begin their careers right now. At least that will help us in the long run. Signing mediocre hacks like Stralman or Gilbert accomplishes nothing (aside from being able to say "look we signed a puckmover!"). It would be Ian White 2.0. "No need to acquire real talent like Wisniewski or Erhoff, we got Ian White and Mike Commodore and at bargain prices too!"

I'm not overly concerned about our lack of size up front. Suppose we sign Pouliot and trade, I dunno, Tatar and a pick and a prospect for Blake Wheeler. In theory, we could have...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Mantha

Franzen Weiss Wheeler

Pouliot Sheahan Nyquist

Abdelkader Helm Jurco

We also have Campbell, Nastasiuk, Athanasiou, and Nosek in the pipeline, and we might add, say, Brendan Perlini at the draft.

Rosterbation!

Do you think the Jets would take Tatar and a 3rd round pick for Wheeler? Because you've used your 1st on Perlini and we don't have a second on account of that totally sweet trade for Legwand. If that's the case maybe we can trade Smith and our 4th or 5th for Byfuglien as well lol.

Do you think the Jets would take Tatar and a 3rd round pick for Wheeler? Because you've used your 1st on Perlini and we don't have a second on account of that totally sweet trade for Legwand. If that's the case maybe we can trade Smith and our 4th or 5th for Byfuglien as well lol.

All depends on where Cheveldayoff wants to go with the team. Are they going to push for the playoffs and possibly legitimate contention in the here and now, or does he move a couple core players to get some exceptional young players that might make for a Realgud Jets team several years from now (call it Team Trouba). If they want to go for it now, I don't think we're really in the discussion for any of their players. But if they want young assets? Then I think we have a shot at any of their big names.

FWIW, they lack depth at center and LW.

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

I sincerely dont mean any offens when I say this.

But if thats your idea of a voice of reason, you should go get some help.

This goes to almost every one on here.

I dig the passion for the wings and all, but, its a game.

Its supposed to bring you enjoyment, not cause irrational panic.

I get you all have your ideas on how to make the perfect team and all that, but the people that you're constantly cursing are largely recognized around the NHL as the best coach, and gm.

Can you say you honestly believe you could do a better job than ken Holland has done consistently over the past 20+ years?

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

I agree. Right now, everything you read is bs because nothing can realistically happen (besides a few players being bought out) until the draft next week.

I do feel that there is that fine line also. Part of me would love for management to go 'screw it', kids all the way, and stick Mantha, Jurco up from the beginning along with Mrazek, Sproul and Ouellet.

And then the other half of me wants KH to go and acquire a top end D man or a forward with some size and grit. All we can really do is wait and speculate. I know 3/4 of this forum wants to go and tear down the Joe because of the Cleary news, but maybe we could focus on the positives coming up next week?

I get what you're saying buddy, and we spoke about this last night. I definitely don't want to fall into doomsday land, but at the same time I legitimately feel like many of us are dangerously close to crossing the line between wanting to acquire players that help us win, and wanting to acquire players just so we don't feel like management has lost it. I'm all about the former, but believe doing nothing at all is better than than the latter. If stop gaps are all that's likely to happen, I'd prefer to see these young guys begin their careers right now. At least that will help us in the long run. Signing mediocre hacks like Stralman or Gilbert accomplishes nothing (aside from being able to say "look we signed a puckmover!"). It would be Ian White 2.0. "No need to acquire real talent like Wisniewski or Erhoff, we got Ian White and Mike Commodore and at bargain prices too!"

The start of that was beautifully put.

A lot of posters here are so damn bi polar with what they want the team to do.

And those stop gaps are there for depth, because they know people are going to get hurt, and some of the kids are going to have slumps, and the young d men could get in over there head and those vets help add a comfort level you need all around you.

Any trade for a top 4 d man in their prime is going to cost us a pick and a prospect, but you just ranted about wanting all the kids careers to start now.

Well.

Do you want to throw them in over their heads with no one to help show them the ropes, or should we make sure they can tread by themselves first?

Kh not making any moves.

Heard the complaints all season, then he makes one and every one loses it.

This fan base is soo damn spoiled, and (not necessarily directing this at you) don't seem to know what they're talking about.

Honestly it Bums me out how down on the wings most of you guys seem to be.

I expect to argue about mistakes kh and/or babs have made/do make.

But to constantly have to try to argue with people about why ken Holland(the worst gm ever, for the last 20+ successful years) and mike (jack adams finalist) babcock shouldnt be fired.

Its kinda ridiculous.

This is the Detroit red wings.

Everything will be fine.

Why can't we all just enjoy the ride?

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Booth doesn't sound that weird to me. He sounds like 60% of Michigan guys. At any rate, I wonder if he'd be worth a look? I haven't watched him for a long time, and he definitely seems like a project, but since he's being bought out he could be had for a more reasonable price. I know we have a lot of bottom 6 guys, but I wouldn't mind re-tooling that bottom six to be better at puck possession, which I think Booth might help with.

I didn't read any if the reports, just didn't feel like linking the article.

Ha.

And I don't know.

Hes a former 30 Goal scorer.

Who's been abysmal the last few years.

And I haven't looked at possession stats, but from what I seen of him this year he was bad.

Hes fast as all hell though, it might be worth a million for a year to see what him and helm could do together.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

1. Any trade for a top 4 d man in their prime is going to cost us a pick and a prospect, but you just ranted about wanting all the kids careers to start now.

2. Do you want to throw them in over their heads with no one to help show them the ropes, or should we make sure they can tread by themselves first?

3. Kh not making any moves.

Heard the complaints all season, then he makes one and every one loses it.

4. This fan base is soo damn spoiled, and (not necessarily directing this at you) don't seem to know what they're talking about.

You wrote a lot, and some of it I agree with. So I just kept what I wanted to address, and numbered them to make my responses easier to follow.

1. I'd like to know whether our organizational philosophy is going to be "tread water until the kids are ready to win" or "try to win now while keeping as many kids as possible for the future". Either way we've got more kids than we can fit, now or in the future. There's no way that Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman, Jensen, Smith, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, can all be on the same team at the same time. Figure out who factors into our future plans and who doesn't. Then trade whoever is left over in packages for future picks (if we're going the tread water route), or impact players (if we're going the win now route). Then, depending on which philosophy you pick, get your kids (or your newly acquired impact players) into the lineup.

2. These guys have plenty of people to "show them the ropes". Kronwall and Ericsson specifically. They've also got Dats, Z, and (probably Alfie) too. How much more leadership does this team need? All the guys I just mentioned have had more successful careers than any possible stop gap acquisition we'd make.

3. I don't think anyone here would suggest that KH should make any moves "just to make them". I think the reason SOME people were upset about the Legwand trade is because we massively overpayed for a guy that the coach used on the fourth line. It's a false dichotomy to think that the only choice is either "be happy with ANY player acquisition" or "be happy with NO player acquisition". What everyone obviously wants is RESPONSIBLE and/or impactful player acquisition. The jury is still out on whether Weiss will be that for us going forward.

4. Nobody is spoiled. We're all fans and we all want to win. Those who want change feel that not enough has been done to ensure that this team is competitive in recent years. And the results seem to support that (early playoffs exits). Others are equally disturbed by the results, but probably feel differently about the solutions. Saying people are spoiled because they're sick of early playoff exits is dismissive, and largely inaccurate. But even if it weren't, if wanting to win a Cup rather than get stomped by the Bruins makes us spoiled; it's a moniker I'll gladly carry for a while.

So I'm looking through this article about the top 30 UFA's on Bleacher Report, and while I'm taking their summaries with a grain of salt, there are some interesting options for the Wings if we lose certain players.

If we're forced to part with Tatar in a trade, would Michalek be a suitable replacement? Seems like a similar player but with a bigger frame. His ceiling might not be as high as Tatar (he's 29 and probably as good as he'll ever be) but it seems like he would fit in on our third line.

If Alfredsson doesn't come back, Cammalleri might be a good replacement. Similar points,short-term contract, similar cap hit. Moulson could be a more long-term replacement, too.

On defense, I'm no longer sure we would go after Niskanen. If his defensive game still requires improvement, $6+ at 7 years might be way too pricey. If Holland can talk him down to the 5 mil range and a shorter term, then there's a chance. Otherwise, it looks like trading is the only way we'll improve our top 4.

I ignored the likes of Stasny and Iginla, who are likely to re-sign with their teams. Maybe Cammalleri will re-sign, too.

In short, there are some options that will improve this team, but there really isn't a Plan B if our targets don't sign with us. We can't afford to stand pat, either, so Holland better get cozy with the idea of trading some of our prospects and roster players.

Well this is interesting. Apparently Campbell is not lovin' the Florida weather.

Everyone has been saying a puck moving D-man is what this team needs. I'm pretty sure that albatross of a contract will be ok with all cap room next year.