• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

I guess I don't know enough about Petry or McBain. Anybody watch them enough to say anything about their games?

They are no better than what we have and the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

Besides, Edmonton and Buffalo have two of the weakest defensive cores in the league...by far. They're turning their attention to UFAs and other players for a reason.

SOW, yes both suck on the whole. But that doesn't mean there isn't talent with each. How many here are hoping Erhoff signs....where is he coming from?

As for Petry you are talking about a 6-3/200 RHed Dman that skates well, plays physical and should get 35-40 points per year with us. Not to mention he is 26 and from Michigan.

I think the biggest need for this team is a new GM. It's obvious the front office hasn't been the same since the Bowman party packed up. I think Holland can be very arrogant even though he's hasn't pulled off a big signing in the last 5 years.

I think the biggest need for this team is a new GM. It's obvious the front office hasn't been the same since the Bowman party packed up. I think Holland can be very arrogant even though he's hasn't pulled off a big signing in the last 5 years.

I agree, time for Holland to go. But now that we've let Nill and Yzerman go to other organizations, we'll probably have to hire someone from outside... which may not be a bad thing.

So now that Quincey has made a defenseman acquisition very unlikely, does Holland push hard for a scoring forward? The price will likely be lower than for a defenseman. Our offense is decent, but without a puck moving defenseman to help improve it, maybe we do need another scorer up front to help us escape the first round of the playoffs. It wouldn't make us a Cup team, but we could make playoffs easier and maybe steal a round or two, which would make us look more attractive to a future d-man. It'd be more obvious that said d-man would be the final piece to the puzzle.

I don't think there are any real options on the UFA market, so maybe Holland should look to trade for a winger. Anyone else agree?

I agree, time for Holland to go. But now that we've let Nill and Yzerman go to other organizations, we'll probably have to hire someone from outside... which may not be a bad thing.

I think the Front office has got a little too comfortable. Wouldn't hurt to shake things up.

HOW?

I guess he plans on moving an existing Dman for another? Like swapping LD+ for RD? I just don't see it happening. By the end of this we will have a D corps that is super expensive in cap but mediocre in talent (Quincey almost makes the same as Kronner and the same as E).

120 pages talking about our needs before UFA started and........ we still have the same needs. Petry is available and we should go get him. Ed. needs is looking for a C. We have a bunch of those.

Last season Petry had 120+ hits, played every game, scored 7 goals but had crappy assist totals. Much of that is due to the crappy forwards/lack of overall scoring. We would be a good pick up for us, and not cost an arm and a leg to get.

Now what would that give us? You can pair Kronwall and Smith. That is one very good pair that should put up 80 points. A second pair of Dekeyser and Petry would be good for 65+ points. Those 2 pairs should also be playing 45+ mins per game leaving the other pair-whose names shall not be mentioned playing less than 15 mins per game.

he may try to package kindl Lashoff and possibly tats for someone big I keep thinking he may try for yandle but his going to giv up alot

At least Yandle is worth it. He plays close to 82 games every year and scores 50 pts like clockwork. I'm afraid we're going go lose a bunch of assets and the return will be some project defenseman like Myers. God forbid Holland ever go for a sure thing.

he may try to package kindl Lashoff and possibly tats for someone big I keep thinking he may try for yandle but his going to giv up alot

While I don't want to see Tatar leave, I actually think Kindl, Lashoff and Tats for Yandle would be an extremely good deal for the Wings. An up and coming forward who has top 6 potential, a reclamation project on D, and a 5-6-7 D man. Might have to throw in a 4th round pick too.

If Holland still wants to pick up 2 defensemen, Morris and Gleason are still available. Those two would make yesterdays tarded outcome a little easier to swallow... that is IF they would even sign here...

We could trade Kindl and give Diesel his salary

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Morris

Ericsson - Gleason

#KFQ/Lashoff

I guess I don't know enough about Petry or McBain. Anybody watch them enough to say anything about their games?

Both Petry and McBain had a rough time with poor defensive teams. Of the two, Petry probably has a slightly higher upside, but he's still a project. Down the road he may develop into a top-4, but he needs time. This is the problem with the Wings current defensive group, while everyone lauds the Wings for bringing prospects along slowly, depending on what you read, defensemen typically require about 100-120 games at the NHL level to get used to the speed and flow of the game. Kronwall, Kindl, Quincy and Ericsson meet that guideline with Smith and Lashoff just getting over the hurdle... Dekeyser and the rest of the fill-ins are still getting there. This could explain a lot of the struggles on the blueline last season as well as why most people agree that a veteran needs to be brought in to help. This year should be better, but Quincy was about the worst option available (in my opinion) and there are a couple of long-shots that could have been had for much less investment (time and dollars). Might have taken a chance with the playoff streak, but a deep draft in '14 might have made it worth a risk...

I think the Front office has got a little too comfortable. Wouldn't hurt to shake things up.

I couldn't agree more. This is nothing new to business and it's regular for leadership to look for new challenges. Holland has been there for 17 years and has had great success with Cups in '98, '02, and '08. How long is it going to take a replacement to get there? How long before we're ready to start? How many more NHL GMs are going to leave the organization before Holland is comfortable with his replacement?

Maybe it is time to move Holland into a role as just Executive VP and alternate Governor and allow a new GM to make personnel decisions.

At least Yandle is worth it. He plays close to 82 games every year and scores 50 pts like clockwork. I'm afraid we're going go lose a bunch of assets and the return will be some project defenseman like Myers. God forbid Holland ever go for a sure thing.

If we could land Yandle for a reasonable price, great. Tyler Myers could be an interesting option, but unless he's just in severe need of a scenery change, his recent performance doesn't warrant the cap hit...

At this point, it almost has to be Yandle. This acquisition is just as much about changing how the league (and impeding free agents) see the future of Detroit as it is about acquiring a solid defensman to stick into the top pairing. Myers won't change that image. Neither will someone on the level of Niskanen. It has to be a franchise defensman acquisition. It means losing Mantha and/or Nyqvist, plus a handful of others, but it's becoming necessary.

Edited by Echolalia

Pubk daddy had their hits misses andUFA awards up and of course we missed. They went on about the DRW losing their aura etc...... One of their key points was:s don't wan to play for great organizations. Players want to do 2 things-get paid and win. ideally both. Most don't see us doing the later anymore........ so the former don't matter.

At this point, it almost has to be Yandle. This acquisition is just as much about changing how the league (and impeding free agents) see the future of Detroit as it is about acquiring a solid defensman to stick into the top pairing. Myers won't change that image. Neither will someone on the level of Niskanen. It has to be a franchise defensman acquisition. It means losing Mantha and/or Nyqvist, plus a handful of others, but it's becoming necessary.

I agree to a certain degree. It depends on what this team is supposed to be. I think we arrived at a point where the Backoffice has to make fundamental strategic decisions on how to proceed (if they didn't already). Stick with the Lidstrom system in which we build around a strong and deep D with mostly small but fast and skilled forwards or do we change to the Mantha system with a big, strong and highly effective offense but just a decent D-Corps.

I don't want to make it sound like the systems exclude each other but every Team needs a plan, a philosophy around which it is build and I think we lack that right now.

Edited by derblaueClaus

khan seems to think mike green is the most likely trade target for the wings

Mike Green of Washington might be the most viable candidate, and he's probably available after the Capitals signed Niskanen and Brooks Orpik. Injuries have hampered Green in recent years, but he's a tremendous skater who produces offense and can quarterback the power play. That would be enough for the Red Wings to overlook his defensive deficiencies.

Green, 28, is in the final year of his contract at slightly more than $6 million, so the Red Wings might not have to part with a young, top-six forward, a top prospect or a first-round pick for him.

Other potential trade targets could cost more to acquire, including right-handed shooters Tyler Myers (Buffalo), Dustin Byfuglien (Winnipeg), Cody Franson (Toronto) and Jeff Petry (Edmonton) and lefties Keith Yandle (Arizona) and Alexander Edler (Vancouver).

If the Red Wings acquire another defenseman, they likely would trade Jakub Kindl, who has three years at $2.4 million per season remaining on his contract.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/07/detroit_red_wings_can_improve.html