• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

I'm thinking Z will play 70+ games. Datsyuk should come close, too. I just can't believe last year was anything but a ridiculous anomaly. And as long as they're not injured at the same time, we should be fine for a few games without one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg. There's just no way next year is as bad as last year.

Last season I joined the "Helm is made of glass" crowd, so I expect him to be injured. Alfredsson will hopefully be resting throughout the season in back-to-back games, if he comes back. I just think they will manage the injuries better.

There's always a fluke injury that sidelines someone for practically the whole season, but maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be one of the filler guys instead of one of the superstars we rely on.

Yup, I would definitely have season tickets as well. I'll settle for watching every game online though. :)

I've seen the majority of games the past 3 years, but I won't miss any at all this year. So stoked to see all the boys, especially Mantha and Athanasiou and another year of Jurco and Pulkkinen as well. :cool:

I'm also expecting a Nestrasil to continue his steady play and for Frk to finally find his game at the pro level, and the slim chance that Tvrdon grabs a spot with the Griffs...

Well Ferraro and Callahan would have to clear waivers to be sent back down, I wouldn't mind the chance in losing Ferraro but I would hate the 24 hours praying that Callahan clears. I love that kid.

Yup, I would definitely have season tickets as well. I'll settle for watching every game online though. :)

I've seen the majority of games the past 3 years, but I won't miss any at all this year. So stoked to see all the boys, especially Mantha and Athanasiou and another year of Jurco and Pulkkinen as well. :cool:

I'm also expecting a Nestrasil to continue his steady play and for Frk to finally find his game at the pro level, and the slim chance that Tvrdon grabs a spot with the Griffs...

Well Ferraro and Callahan would have to clear waivers to be sent back down, I wouldn't mind the chance in losing Ferraro but I would hate the 24 hours praying that Callahan clears. I love that kid.

It'll be interesting to see how the rosters play out. I just don't see Ferraro or Callahan making the big club.

If they're on the AHL roster then I don't think Nestrasil/Frk/Tvrdon will make it. There just won't be room. Probably be ECHL bound again.

I see one of them (hopefully Callahan) making the big club as a 14th forward. I think Nestrasil will definitely be on the Griffins roster, and I'd be really disappointed if Frk is sent down to Toledo again. I think Tvrdon and Nedomlel will play the majority of the season with the Walleye.

I see one of them (hopefully Callahan) making the big club as a 14th forward. I think Nestrasil will definitely be on the Griffins roster, and I'd be really disappointed if Frk is sent down to Toledo again. I think Tvrdon and Nedomlel will play the majority of the season with the Walleye.

I sure hope not. A year and a half or so ago I stated that Pulkkinen would be a bust and Nedomlel would be a sleeper. Pulkkinen is already making me look bad, Nedomlel really needs to step up.

Lol I'm sure you must hate how well Pulkkinen is doing... :lol:

I'm still hoping Frk can turn things around this season. I think he will have another slow start but finally find his game half way through this season. I predict he finishes this season with around 50 points with the Griffs...

Guest DeGraa55

The issues Hank have been having have been repaired. Weiss will be fine. He was stubborn and played hurt, and made things worst. He will be healthy and good to go this season. The extra long summer will help Datsyuk a lot. There are also no olympics to cause him to keep playing hurt so he can represent his country. Franzen being out from time to time won;t be the end of the world with the depth in the system. In the end, it is highly unlikely these guys combined miss anywhere close to what they did last year. Wouldn't be a foolish bet what so ever.

I certainly hope you're right. Just consider me a realist or in the wait and see crowd. Cause the only thing we have to go off is their recent history.

A realist would realize just how bizarre last season was when it came to injuries

exactly, no way andersson plays top 6 minutes again, guys were dropping like flies last year, and the olympics didn't help. This year we can expect a much more resilient team, and a better outcome at the end of the year

Moves will be made when the time is right. It is the right move to let the kids show what they can do first. The team has a nice mix of youth and vets right now as it is, so the team will be fine. When they are on the cusp of being able to make a run, moves will happen.

I agree with this! I don't think Holland does, though. Retaining and/or adding veterans doesn't give the kids a chance, it shuts them out. That's been his M.O. for the last few off-seasons, despite what the younger guys have shown.

Not much progress seems to have happened when looking at the teams stats, but when you look at the roster, they have come such a long way. The team was able to reload quickly when the cap era began, as the defense was still led by #5. This reload is taking much longer, as the bulk of the defense right now is very young. But they'll get there. I said it many times before, but I'd bet money this season is when we start to see the upswing.

In some ways, I agree here also. The D is young and promising. In a couple years, they'll have some pieces to trade away, as they won't have room for everyone. The reload is a long process, but it leads to frustrating seasons where the team is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot, but not good enough to make a run. Holland doesn't make moves to bolster the team for a playoff run or to accumulate assets for the future. He almost seems content with the status-quo. I'd be OK with making moves to get Datsyuk and Zetterberg one more Cup, I'd be better with moving some vets out to make room for more young guys to get a shot. Holland leans one way and then the other, but never really commits to a direction./

That was just bad, unlucky timing. Holland had high hopes of landing one of the UFA's, and by then Stuart was already moved. But them's the breaks

Just like not knowing why free agents don't come here, it's his job to be on top of that stuff. He can't have tunnel vision.

Guest DeGraa55

A realist would realize just how bizarre last season was when it came to injuries

But it's not just last year it's the last couple years really...

16th ranked offense last year due to probably the most bizarre rash of injuries to key players we've ever witnessed.

16th ranked defense last year due again to significant injuries, but mostly because of our young blue line getting accustomed to the NHL.

*** Please do not say that we are going to be more injured than last season because all of our players are a year older... It just won't happen.

I will bet most if not all of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Ericsson and DeKeyser will play more games than last season.

Our roster is not "over full", although I would like to rid ourselves of a couple spare parts (Andersson, Kindl). I'm one of the few that would like to see all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha start the season in Grand Rapids.

We are not "out of cap space already". We should still have over 6 million after Tatar and DeKeyser are signed.

As of today, I would bet we could challenge for the Division but more realistically we would finish around 4th or 5th in the Conference.

We have had serious injury issues for three season now. Yes getting rid of Bert and Sammy will help. But the others are still here. Do I expect D and Z to play more games this season? yes i do. But that alone will not make a dramatic improvement in our team. Even when healthy we are not a great team, we are average at best. Plus the more they play the less others will play. The minutes have to come from somewhere.

As for the cap, the best guess is on cap geek. per cap geek we have 6.5 million left in cap today BEFORE resigning Tatar and Dekeyser. Resigning those 2 will eat up another 3.5-4 million. That will leave us around 3 million heading into the fall, baring any other moves. If/when Alfie and Cleary are resigned, most of that will be gone. You have to keep in mind we are 3 million short in cap space this year because of bonuses paid for last season-most of which goes to Alfie. So yes my original statement stands: roster is full and we are out of cap space. Could moves be made to change that? Yes. Will any happen? Doubtful.

Its been a 3 year issue, which of course you know. same cast of players is not going to fix that problem. make all the excuses you want, but we will have 250+ man games lost by the end of the 2014/15 season.

We have had serious injury issues for three season now. Yes getting rid of Bert and Sammy will help. But the others are still here. Do I expect D and Z to play more games this season? yes i do. But that alone will not make a dramatic improvement in our team. Even when healthy we are not a great team, we are average at best. Plus the more they play the less others will play. The minutes have to come from somewhere.

As for the cap, the best guess is on cap geek. per cap geek we have 6.5 million left in cap today BEFORE resigning Tatar and Dekeyser. Resigning those 2 will eat up another 3.5-4 million. That will leave us around 3 million heading into the fall, baring any other moves. If/when Alfie and Cleary are resigned, most of that will be gone. You have to keep in mind we are 3 million short in cap space this year because of bonuses paid for last season-most of which goes to Alfie. So yes my original statement stands: roster is full and we are out of cap space. Could moves be made to change that? Yes. Will any happen? Doubtful.

Its been a 3 year issue, which of course you know. same cast of players is not going to fix that problem. make all the excuses you want, but we will have 250+ man games lost by the end of the 2014/15 season.

Actually with the bonuses factored in (which capgeek already does) we have just over $10mil in cap space. So no were not up against the cap

Actually with the bonuses factored in (which capgeek already does) we have just over $10mil in cap space. So no were not up against the cap

Actually, it's just under not over $10million. Either way, here's the link: http://capgeek.com/redwings/

See. There are good things on the internet.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that there are only five little lock icons denoting NTC/NMC on our roster. Is this correct?

Dats, Weiss, Kronner, Ericsson, and Howard.

Edited by e_prime

All this talk about Green, what about any of the other solid right handed defenders in the league? Obviously a lot of the guys we would want would be close to untouchable but what about a young kid like Jacob Trouba from Winnipeg? What do people think it would take to get him, and would it be worth it? I personally think the kid is going to be unreal in a few years, and I'm guessing the Jets probably feel the same about him. So it may be costly, but how much would it cost us?

What about a trade something like:

To Detroit - Jacob Trouba

To Winnipeg - Tomas Tatar, Jakub Kindl, Xavier Ouellet, Landon Ferraro, 2015 2nd (or 1st if that's the only way the deal gets done)

Imagine a top 6 in a couple years of:

DeKeyser - Trouba

Smith - Sproul

Kronwall - Ericsson / Backman / Marchenko

All this talk about Green, what about any of the other solid right handed defenders in the league? Obviously a lot of the guys we would want would be close to untouchable but what about a young kid like Jacob Trouba from Winnipeg? What do people think it would take to get him, and would it be worth it? I personally think the kid is going to be unreal in a few years, and I'm guessing the Jets probably feel the same about him. So it may be costly, but how much would it cost us?

What about a trade something like:

To Detroit - Jacob Trouba

To Winnipeg - Tomas Tatar, Jakub Kindl, Xavier Ouellet, Landon Ferraro, 2015 2nd (or 1st if that's the only way the deal gets done)

Imagine a top 6 in a couple years of:

DeKeyser - Trouba

Smith - Sproul

Kronwall - Ericsson / Backman / Marchenko

That guy combined with Scheifele is probably at the top of Cheveldayoffs untouchable list.

Dickie, I definitely would give up that package for Trouba. I think this kid has Doughty potential all over him. So what about all those pieces, minus the draft pick?

I agree Frank, that's why my offer would be so high. Any deal can get done, but what would it cost us?...

Dickie, I definitely would give up that package for Trouba. I think this kid has Doughty potential all over him. So what about all those pieces, minus the draft pick?

I agree Frank, that's why my offer would be so high. Any deal can get done, but what would it cost us?...

Oh and I don't know but it would for sure be something ridiculous:

Winnipeg: Nyquist, 1st 2015, Dekeyser (they would be asking for a top D man coming back...)

Detroit: Jacob Trouba

Which would leave us with the same problem we already have

Now THAT is massive overpayment for ya Dickie lol. There is no way the Jets would be asking for those three pieces...

I think Ouellet would be capable in stepping in on the Jets blue line to start this season and making an impact. Tatar would be an obvious key piece to the deal. Kindl can be a serviceable 6th defenseman, maybe even more in a different system. Likewise, Ferraro could be a serviceable 4th line center or winger for the Jets. Add in a high pick and I think that is pretty fair...

The main issue with this team last year was injuries....which was something of a blessing in disguise with Shehan, Nyquist and Jurco getting time to develop, but we could have seen that with Hank and Pavel healthy too.

We had problems on D obviously...Kindl and Lashoff regressed...more so Kindl. Smith and Quincey were inconsistent but both had good second halves. Quincey was pretty solid defensively around the cage...he leverages his body well. Smith finished well in the playoffs, so I hope he builds on that.

Longer term...we quit drafting guys like Datsyuk in the later rounds and started drafting guys like Gennady Stolyarov so we had to rely on crapshoot signings like Sammy, Bert, Tootoo and Cleary ....but that may have changed in the last couple of drafts. 2010 and 2011 look really good and what collective insanity lead NHL teams to allow Mantha to slip all the way to 20th?

I think Smith's slow development, Helm's injuries and Abdelkader's inability to develop an offensive game hurt the team a lot. Abdelkader looked like he had the potential to be a 15-20 goal guy at one point but that hasn't happened...not even playing alongside Datsyuk. He's a quality 4th line wing...maybe even 3rd line. But Pavel likes him so he rolls on the top line.

Lol I'm sure you must hate how well Pulkkinen is doing... :lol:

I'm still hoping Frk can turn things around this season. I think he will have another slow start but finally find his game half way through this season. I predict he finishes this season with around 50 points with the Griffs...

Not really, I'd prefer the team be good than me be right.