• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Lol I'm sure you must hate how well Pulkkinen is doing... :lol:

I'm still hoping Frk can turn things around this season. I think he will have another slow start but finally find his game half way through this season. I predict he finishes this season with around 50 points with the Griffs...

Jurco had a rough rookie season as a pro, too. While Frk is a different player, I imagine he'll have a much better season this year.

Speaking of Jurco: http://i.instagram.com/p/qPeVbkgiTO/

Jurco had a rough rookie season as a pro, too. While Frk is a different player, I imagine he'll have a much better season this year.

Speaking of Jurco: http://i.instagram.com/p/qPeVbkgiTO/

I agree with you, but from what I understand a lot of Frk's problems stem from being bad positionally and not being a good enough skater to make up for it. Jurco has good skating at least so the learning curve was shorter. As I understand it, Frk (by virtue of playing with MacKinnon and Drouin) had a lot of success without ever learning how to be positionally sound. But now that his line can't steamroll people he's finding he's got neither the positioning nor the wheels to make up for it.

I think Blash will get him going. But he's basically learning the "correct" way to play hockey at a MUCH higher level than most guys do.

what it would take to get Trouba here would be too much. I would be happier just keeping Ouellet and Tatar and especially that 1st or 2nd pick. Besides, Trouba isn't really what we need here. I am not saying Green is the answer, but he addresses a pressing need and would cost tons less in assets. Plus he is still only 28, so if we get him to re-sign, we'd have him for 3-4 prime years. Not saying Trouba wouldn't be dynamic here, but the price in return would hurt us more in the long run AND he is just entering his prime (or not even yet) so that would be 6-8 years of him making $7M+ more than likely once he gets his next contract...he is good, even borderline approaching great, but I am just looking at a business aspect of it. Plus giving up those young players you pretty much waste all you high drafting for the last few years.

I agree with you, but from what I understand a lot of Frk's problems stem from being bad positionally and not being a good enough skater to make up for it. Jurco has good skating at least so the learning curve was shorter. As I understand it, Frk (by virtue of playing with MacKinnon and Drouin) had a lot of success without ever learning how to be positionally sound. But now that his line can't steamroll people he's finding he's got neither the positioning nor the wheels to make up for it.

I think Blash will get him going. But he's basically learning the "correct" way to play hockey at a MUCH higher level than most guys do.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Frk's ever going to get his positioning together, but I do think he can fit into a niche if he puts in the proper off-season work. I agree that he benefited from his teammates, and his skating and lackluster two-way play hurt him. I still think he's going to have a better season than last - although, I do believe that he's going to have to impress Blashill right off the bat to get minutes.

If I'm Frk, I bust my hide in the gym and turn into a puck hound. He's still got that wicked shot, but I think he's the kind of guy who'd be smart to become a "piano puller" on a line - dig for pucks in the corner, get in front of the net, etc. He's never going to be the catalyst on a line, but I think he could be a good complimentary piece/PP guy.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Frk's ever going to get his positioning together, but I do think he can fit into a niche if he puts in the proper off-season work. I agree that he benefited from his teammates, and his skating and lackluster two-way play hurt him. I still think he's going to have a better season than last - although, I do believe that he's going to have to impress Blashill right off the bat to get minutes.

If I'm Frk, I bust my hide in the gym and turn into a puck hound. He's still got that wicked shot, but I think he's the kind of guy who'd be smart to become a "piano puller" on a line - dig for pucks in the corner, get in front of the net, etc. He's never going to be the catalyst on a line, but I think he could be a good complimentary piece/PP guy.

I agree. I always thought that in the best case scenario he'd model his game off of Vanek. He's not the greatest skater in the world either, but he's got a good shot, is sturdy down around the crease, and is a physically strong guy who's not afraid of contact.

I don't know if it's too late for Frk to be a poor man's Vanek, but that's probably the guy I see in him the most.

Everything I saw of Frk after the draft was impressive. Stellar international play mostly. I personally think he has what it takes to regain form. But it's not looking great for him at the moment.

Like I said, it really seems to be a matter of fundamentals. A lot of guys on good teams get away with bad habits in juniors. And even when they come up to the AHL their skating makes up for their lack of positioning. His just doesn't, so he gets exposed. But I agree, he's not done. He's just got to learn the right way to play hockey now.

Like I said, it really seems to be a matter of fundamentals. A lot of guys on good teams get away with bad habits in juniors. And even when they come up to the AHL their skating makes up for their lack of positioning. His just doesn't, so he gets exposed. But I agree, he's not done. He's just got to learn the right way to play hockey now.

I was amazed how gritty he was for an average sized high scoring European winger. He had a level of intensity that you couldn't help but notice all the time. Haven't seen much of him as of late but doesn't sound like it's working.

I was amazed how gritty he was for an average sized high scoring European winger. He had a level of intensity that you couldn't help but notice all the time. Haven't seen much of him as of late but doesn't sound like it's working.

Not so far, but he did finish a little stronger at the end of last season. Then again, he was completely buried in the depth chart too so it's not like he's had a chance to play much.

Edited by kipwinger

I agree what you guys are saying about Frk, but I really think he will find his game this season. Like I said, I expect him to be slow coming out of the gate again, but will catch fire after a month or two and finish with a solid 50 points. I follow a lot of our guys as soon as they're drafted, right through junior to Grand Rapids to Detroit, and I was just as excited about Frk as I was Jurco, and that's saying something... Sadly Frk hasn't shown the same promise as Jurco yet, and at this point I don't see him coming close to as good as Jurco, but there is still plenty of time to round out his game, and if he could become a grittier / hungrier Jiri Hudler, that would be great.

No, please no! No more Jiri Hudler references!!! We already had Hudler 2.0 in Brunner, now if Frk can become a grittier, hungrier Hudler....ARGH! I can't take it! I thought I was rid of the little Pidler forever!!!

Ok, seriously though, Frk is 6' 205lbs already...Pidler is 5'10" 185lbs soaking wet, so Frk has an advantage on him to start. I certainly hope he is better than Pidler by time he hits the NHL, if not, then may as well trade him today...projecting to be a Pidler type player is not exactly comforting to hear. I am glad after reading his profile on the other site, that Pidler is not mentioned once. Whew! :lol:

I'm not sure who compared Brunner to Hudler but I can honestly say I've never seen that. Exactly, Frk already has the size advantage and has shown the willingness to get his nose dirty, which is why I said I can see him becoming a grittier / hungrier Hudler, which in my mind isn't a bad thing at all. What were the biggest knocks against Hudler? He was very timid most of the time, and seemed to be frightened to death to take a hit. He was also a very poor skater, with a wicked shot, which again is why I compare him to Frk. There are a lot of similarities in their game, other than size and handedness, which is great for us. I hope he can become a bigger, grittier Hudler...

I'm not sure who compared Brunner to Hudler but I can honestly say I've never seen that. Exactly, Frk already has the size advantage and has shown the willingness to get his nose dirty, which is why I said I can see him becoming a grittier / hungrier Hudler, which in my mind isn't a bad thing at all. What were the biggest knocks against Hudler? He was very timid most of the time, and seemed to be frightened to death to take a hit. He was also a very poor skater, with a wicked shot, which again is why I compare him to Frk. There are a lot of similarities in their game, other than size and handedness, which is great for us. I hope he can become a bigger, grittier Hudler...

but can Frk be as happy? and will he remember the stairs? these are the real questions....

Ok had the wrong remaining amount, but the point is/was valid and true. We had 9.5 mil to spend. Just used 1.5 of it on Cleary-one way deal as well. Tatar and Dekeyser will eat up 3.5-4 million of the remaining 8, so that leaves 4 or so to spend. Alfie will get resigned and that will eat up the balance. Roster is overfull and cap is gone. Yippy! I am so excited about the upcoming season!

31 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If we dont get Dahlin in the upcoming draft, who are the guys we target and why?  What holes need to be filled?  For me, it's Dahlin or bust

You're gauging success vs failure on a damn lottery. You've already lost. 

8 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

While I've been critical of the guy for some time - me thinks Kenny works by 'committee', and has no trouble seeking advice from his scouting staff.

2019, and 2020 apparently will also be strong classes...Hopefully we can load up these next few seasons.

I agree. As much as people hated extending the streak those last few years, Holland still managed to draft some pretty good players. And now with a couple of good draft classes coming up, the rebuild is coming at a really good time.