• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#2021 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

The issue is, this team should have been last year's opening roster. A starting, healthy forwards corps on this team is very respectable:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfie
Mule-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Miller-Helm-Andelkader

Scratches:

Andersson

Glendening

It's when you throw in those past-their-prime vets, and incur an insane number of injuries that things go south. I really think the forwards on this team are solid. That healthy line-up, along with a boost on the back-end would fare well, IMO.

Edited by Jesusberg, 17 June 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#2022 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is it starting to become clear to anyone else that with the exception of some lame ass acquisition like Dan Boyle or Tom Gilbert we're going to have the EXACT same team as last year? 

All the resources in the world won't make a difference if there's no will to use them.  Puke.

Expect D and Z to be hurt again, expect the kids to have good but not great seasons, expect Alfie to be re-signed and then be hurt/run out of gas, and expect our defense to be poor again.  Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Did someone hack your account today?  This is the most negative post I've seen from you this off-season.

I'm worried.  Please let me know if you're okay.  ;)

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#2023 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Did someone hack your account today?  This is the most negative post I've seen from you this off-season.

I'm worried.  Please let me know if you're okay.  ;)

It's nice of you to care lol.  I was already having a bad morning and the thoughts of bringing back Cleary, Alfie, and Gustavsson (who I'm actually fine with) temporarily overwhelmed the better angels of my nature.  I'm still (cautiously) hoping for something substantial.  We'll find out in a couple of weeks. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#2024 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

J, sorry mate but that is not a very good F corp. maybe 5 years ago it was, but not today. between Z, dat, frazen, Weiss, Alfie and helm, we will be lucky if they average 65 games played. Miller and Abby are not offensive players, and the other 4 will all be sophm. and there will be some slumps. There is still no toughness, grit, or any real size. The last official study I saw was from 2009/10. That year the average size of a NHL player was 6-1 1/4 tall and 208 pounds. Only franzen is over thatsize with Sheahan and Abby being that size. All the rest or BELOW that size.

#2025 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

J, sorry mate but that is not a very good F corp. maybe 5 years ago it was, but not today. between Z, dat, frazen, Weiss, Alfie and helm, we will be lucky if they average 65 games played. Miller and Abby are not offensive players, and the other 4 will all be sophm. and there will be some slumps. There is still no toughness, grit, or any real size. The last official study I saw was from 2009/10. That year the average size of a NHL player was 6-1 1/4 tall and 208 pounds. Only franzen is over thatsize with Sheahan and Abby being that size. All the rest or BELOW that size.

How big were the Wings that year? Cause they had just been to the Cup finals two years in a row...

Posted Image

#2026 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yes and we had just at F: Bert 6-3/230, Cleary 6-0/210, Homer 6-0/215, May 6-0/220, Abby and franzen. So yes in fact the 09/10 Red Wings were much bigger up front. All of those guys were still producing at a good level. Not to mention we had Nicky and Stewy on the BL. One is the best ever and the other was a good stay at home physical Dman.

#2027 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

Produce a link and I'll believe that "Study"

#2028 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

Watching NHL network right now while I have the time, and couldn't help but mention that they interviewed Poile and he stated that he's still modeling the Preds off the wings current system. He also mentioned the spurs, comparing them to the wings, but ya kno, more basketballish

#2029 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

David Booth may be available as a UFA

#2030 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Ps 2 of the nhl networks experts just agreed that Alfie is the 6th best FA on the market. Take that for what it's worth....

#2031 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

Just heard billy peters of Detroit has been talked about as the new coach of pit

#2032 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Anyone think that Stastny would be a good pickup from Colorado? Heard rumblings he might make it to UFA?

temp 1

#2033 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Anyone think that Stastny would be a good pickup from Colorado? Heard rumblings he might make it to UFA?

That depends. Does $6 mil a year on a long term contract for a second line center sound good?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#2034 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

That depends. Does $6 mil a year on a long term contract for a second line center sound good?

4 years and $5.5m? Or will this just add to our logjam? 

temp 1

#2035 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

4 years and $5.5m? Or will this just add to our logjam? 

I'd he'd sign for that he'd probably stay in Colorado.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#2036 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

Produce a link and I'll believe that "Study"

Are 'Team Grit, Durability, and Truculence,' 'Size/Stature,' and 'Nationality Compliment' seminars available in GM school?

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#2037 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

If your entire strategy for winning a Cup someday is "the kids will fix it", doesn't it behoove you to actually...ya know...get the kids in the lineup?

Since it's pretty clear there's no will to go trade or get a free agent who would actually improve this team, why bother signing anyone at all?  Personally, I'd much rather see Sproul and Marchenko/Ouellet as a third pair, and Jurco, Mantha, or Pulkkinen than see us go out and acquire somebody like Stralman, Gilbert, Boyle, Alfredsson, Cleary, etc. etc. etc. 

At this point, the most optimistic outcome is that all available spots go to the kids who most deserve them.  But even that is starting to look like a pipedream.  What the f***?

Edited by kipwinger, 18 June 2014 - 09:14 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#2038 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

I'm going to reserve my frustration, depression, loss of will to live, rage towards Ken Holland's existence till after July 1st.

We've got the draft upcoming - June 27, 28. 

Compliance buyouts that can happen until June 30th and Free Agency that begins on the first.

This is a frustrating two weeks where the Finals are over and almost nothing but speculation can happen.

So, let's all take a deep breath and collect ourselves. Some of us are beginning to sound like frantic lunatics.

Some of us are already there.

Hell, maybe the site needs to change it's name for the week.

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

#2039 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I'm not overly concerned about our lack of size up front. Suppose we sign Pouliot and trade, I dunno, Tatar and a pick and a prospect for Blake Wheeler. In theory, we could have...

Zetterberg  Datsyuk  Mantha

Franzen  Weiss  Wheeler

Pouliot  Sheahan  Nyquist

Abdelkader  Helm  Jurco

We also have Campbell, Nastasiuk, Athanasiou, and Nosek in the pipeline, and we might add, say, Brendan Perlini at the draft.

Rosterbation!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#2040 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm going to reserve my frustration, depression, loss of will to live, rage towards Ken Holland's existence till after July 1st.

We've got the draft upcoming - June 27, 28. 

Compliance buyouts that can happen until June 30th and Free Agency that begins on the first.

This is a frustrating two weeks where the Finals are over and almost nothing but speculation can happen.

So, let's all take a deep breath and collect ourselves. Some of us are beginning to sound like frantic lunatics.

Some of us are already there.

Hell, maybe the site needs to change it's name for the week.

"LetsAllBreathe"

/voice of reason speech

I get what you're saying buddy, and we spoke about this last night.  I definitely don't want to fall into doomsday land, but at the same time I legitimately feel like many of us are dangerously close to crossing the line between wanting to acquire players that help us win, and wanting to acquire players just so we don't feel like management has lost it.  I'm all about the former, but believe doing nothing at all is better than than the latter.  If stop gaps are all that's likely to happen, I'd prefer to see these young guys begin their careers right now.  At least that will help us in the long run.  Signing mediocre hacks like Stralman or Gilbert accomplishes nothing (aside from being able to say "look we signed a puckmover!").  It would be Ian White 2.0.  "No need to acquire real talent like Wisniewski or Erhoff, we got Ian White and Mike Commodore and at bargain prices too!"

I'm not overly concerned about our lack of size up front. Suppose we sign Pouliot and trade, I dunno, Tatar and a pick and a prospect for Blake Wheeler. In theory, we could have...

Zetterberg  Datsyuk  Mantha

Franzen  Weiss  Wheeler

Pouliot  Sheahan  Nyquist

Abdelkader  Helm  Jurco

We also have Campbell, Nastasiuk, Athanasiou, and Nosek in the pipeline, and we might add, say, Brendan Perlini at the draft.

Rosterbation!

Do you think the Jets would take Tatar and a 3rd round pick for Wheeler?  Because you've used your 1st on Perlini and we don't have a second on account of that totally sweet trade for Legwand.  If that's the case maybe we can trade Smith and our 4th or 5th for Byfuglien as well lol.