• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#2401 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

At this point, it almost has to be Yandle. This acquisition is just as much about changing how the league (and impeding free agents) see the future of Detroit as it is about acquiring a solid defensman to stick into the top pairing. Myers won't change that image. Neither will someone on the level of Niskanen. It has to be a franchise defensman acquisition. It means losing Mantha and/or Nyqvist, plus a handful of others, but it's becoming necessary.

Edited by Echolalia, 02 July 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#2402 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Pubk daddy had their hits misses andUFA awards up and of course we missed. They went on about the DRW losing their aura etc...... One of their key points was:s don't wan to play for great organizations. Players want to do 2 things-get paid and win. ideally both. Most don't see us doing the later anymore........ so the former don't matter.

#2403 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

At this point, it almost has to be Yandle. This acquisition is just as much about changing how the league (and impeding free agents) see the future of Detroit as it is about acquiring a solid defensman to stick into the top pairing. Myers won't change that image. Neither will someone on the level of Niskanen. It has to be a franchise defensman acquisition. It means losing Mantha and/or Nyqvist, plus a handful of others, but it's becoming necessary.

I agree to a certain degree. It depends on what this team is supposed to be. I think we arrived at a point where the Backoffice has to make fundamental strategic decisions on how to proceed (if they didn't already). Stick with the Lidstrom system in which we build around a strong and deep D with mostly small but fast and skilled forwards or do we change to the Mantha system with a big, strong and highly effective offense but just a decent D-Corps.
I don't want to make it sound like the systems exclude each other but every Team needs a plan, a philosophy around which it is build and I think we lack that right now.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 02 July 2014 - 07:24 PM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#2404 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

khan seems to think mike green is the most likely trade target for the wings

Mike Green of Washington might be the most viable candidate, and he's probably available after the Capitals signed Niskanen and Brooks Orpik. Injuries have hampered Green in recent years, but he's a tremendous skater who produces offense and can quarterback the power play. That would be enough for the Red Wings to overlook his defensive deficiencies.

Green, 28, is in the final year of his contract at slightly more than $6 million, so the Red Wings might not have to part with a young, top-six forward, a top prospect or a first-round pick for him.

Other potential trade targets could cost more to acquire, including right-handed shooters Tyler Myers (Buffalo), Dustin Byfuglien (Winnipeg), Cody Franson (Toronto) and Jeff Petry (Edmonton) and lefties Keith Yandle (Arizona) and Alexander Edler (Vancouver).

If the Red Wings acquire another defenseman, they likely would trade Jakub Kindl, who has three years at $2.4 million per season remaining on his contract.

http://www.mlive.com...an_improve.html

#2405 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

khan seems to think mike green is the most likely trade target for the wings

http://www.mlive.com...an_improve.html

They need to do this. Anyone got an idea of what it would cost??

#2406 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

If Holland is able to pull off a cheap trade for a guy like Green then a lot of people will get off his back. Not sure what the Caps asking price would be.

#2407 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Quincey for Green straight up.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#2408 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yup.  Green isn't a great defenseman, but he'll get some points and that's what we need.  We need an offensive defenseman, even if he's a little shoddy on the defensive end.  We have enough defensive defensemen.  Obviously you want someone who is good in all zones, but our glaring deficiency is the one area Green would address.

The key would have to be CHEAP.  Maybe Washington needs to clear a roster spot or cap space?  One year left on the contract, not well-loved in Washington, I don't think.  Shouldn't cost all that much.  A pick and Tatar? We'll even throw in Kindl because no one else will want him later in the summer.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2409 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Another D-man?

So who wants to be on the Jovo-cop welcoming committee? 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#2410 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Sorry to dash everyone's hopes, but chances are, the roster now will be the roster on opening day.

http://www.detroitne...t-Health-growth

"So, unless general manager Ken Holland decides to part with some young talent in a trade — which he says he won’t — the programs from the end of last season might just suffice for next season."

Edited by ShanahanMan, 02 July 2014 - 08:20 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#2411 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Anyone think pulkinen and a 2nd would get us green?

#2412 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

No.  I don't think Pulks has much value.  It'd have to be Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan or Jurco, and I think only the first two would draw any interest.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2413 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

At this point I would be happy if we traded for a RH D.

Somebody like:

Larsson

Green (1 year left)

Boychuk

Shattenkirk

Connor Murphy

Tanev

Gudbranson

Myers

No.  I don't think Pulks has much value.  It'd have to be Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan or Jurco, and I think only the first two would draw any interest.

The thing is - I think Pulks SHOULD have loads of value. I'd avoid selling low on him. He scored 30+ goals in the AHL as a rookie and could do more. I think Tatar should be the guy to move considering his value is pretty high throughout the league and isn't Sheahan/Jurco/Mantha/Nyquist.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#2414 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

A trade for an injury prone, one dimensional, offensive defenseman in the last year of an overpriced contract is going to require a young, future top six, roster player in return?  In what universe?

Edited by kipwinger, 02 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#2415 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I wish Holland had the stones to offer sheet Johansen or O'Reilly. I would give up multiple first rounders for those guys. Worth an overpayment to get a player of that talent and we already have a strong prospect pool (except top 6 C).

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#2416 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

I wish Holland had the stones to offer sheet Johansen or O'Reilly. I would give up multiple first rounders for those guys. Worth an overpayment to get a player of that talent and we already have a strong prospect pool (except top 6 C).

A week ago he probably could have traded for O'Reilly and not had to go to all that effort.  He doesn't want to be there, and had the return been cheaper than his contract Colorado would likely have been able to keep Paul Stastny.  But Holland's player acquisition skills, such as they are, don't allow him to make those sorts of shrewd business moves. 

Also, you're crazy if you'd trade Tatar over Nyquist.  He's harder to play against than Nyquist by a mile.  Everybody is always clamoring for Detroit to get tougher, and then when confronted by two guys who are roughly equal in talent they want to keep the softer one because he's flashier.  Stick Nyquist on the third line and let his ultra lucky shooting percentage come back to earth and they probably produce the same amount of points too. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#2417 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

A week ago he probably could have traded for O'Reilly and not had to go to all that effort.  He doesn't want to be there, and had the return been cheaper than his contract Colorado would likely have been able to keep Paul Stastny.  But Holland's player acquisition skills, such as they are, don't allow him to make those sorts of shrewd business moves. 

Also, you're crazy if you'd trade Tatar over Nyquist.  He's harder to play against than Nyquist by a mile.  Everybody is always clamoring for Detroit to get tougher, and then when confronted by two guys who are roughly equal in talent they want to keep the softer one because he's flashier.  Stick Nyquist on the third line and let his ultra lucky shooting percentage come back to earth and they probably produce the same amount of points too. 

I disagree. I see Tomas Tatar as a 20/20, PK guy the rest of his career settling into a 2nd or 3rd line role...  I see Nyquist as a 30/20 guy, eventually becoming a top-line player.  I know the advanced metrics say he is going to regress this upcoming year, but I do not think it will be so significant that people are going to be screaming for him to be sent back to GR or the third line... He's got top line potential, whereas I see Tatar maxing out as a two-way, 2nd line player.  Those guys can be had... see Abdelkader/Helm.  A top line scorer who makes smart passes and understands the angles and positioning with seemingly ease?  Not so much.

Edited by _SP_, 02 July 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#2418 Fred_Bear

Fred_Bear

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

A trade for an injury prone, one dimensional, offensive defenseman in the last year of an overpriced contract is going to require a young, future top six, roster player in return?  In what universe?

If Detroit (or anyone for that matter) gives up future top six talent for Mike Green, I'd be very surprised. Washington has been trying to move him around injuries for three years and they haven't had a sniff. An offer sheet to Subban would be a smarter move...

Cody Franson might be an interesting idea. Don't know that Shanny's going to do us any favors, but he's another one that hasn't been the most popular guy in town.

#2419 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Tatar isn't a surefire top 6 player yet. What universe? The modern NHL. And the fact that every team has us over a barrel.

But its moot now since it sounds like Holland is set with the team we have.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#2420 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

I disagree. I see Tomas Tatar as a 20/20, PK guy the rest of his career settling into a 2nd or 3rd line role...  I see Nyquist as a 30/20 guy, eventually becoming a top-line player.  I know the advanced metrics say he is going to regress this upcoming year, but I do not think it will be so significant that people are going to be screaming for him to be sent back to GR or the third line... He's got top line potential, whereas I see Tatar maxing out as a two-way, 2nd line player.  Those guys can be had... see Abdelkader/Helm.  A top line scorer who makes smart passes and understands the angles and positioning with seemingly ease?  Not so much.

You maybe be right, I can't really say.  What I can say is that he'll probably only get better from his already impressive rookie year, and that he's NOTHING like Helm or Abby.  His first year in the league is already miles better than anything those two have put together.  I'd trade either of those guys in a heartbeat.  A guy that can score me 20+ goals and it tenacious and gritty?  Not so much.