• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#2541 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

16th ranked offense last year due to probably the most bizarre rash of injuries to key players we've ever witnessed.

16th ranked defense last year due again to significant injuries, but mostly because of our young blue line getting accustomed to the NHL.

*** Please do not say that we are going to be more injured than last season because all of our players are a year older... It just won't happen.

I will bet most if not all of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Ericsson and DeKeyser will play more games than last season.

Our roster is not "over full", although I would like to rid ourselves of a couple spare parts (Andersson, Kindl). I'm one of the few that would like to see all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha start the season in Grand Rapids.

We are not "out of cap space already". We should still have over 6 million after Tatar and DeKeyser are signed.

As of today, I would bet we could challenge for the Division but more realistically we would finish around 4th or 5th in the Conference.

#2542 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

maybe if kids pass him this year then we trade quincey next year. 

Ain't nobody got time for Quincey! But really I doubt anyone tries to pick him up.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#2543 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

16th ranked offense last year due to probably the most bizarre rash of injuries to key players we've ever witnessed.
16th ranked defense last year due again to significant injuries, but mostly because of our young blue line getting accustomed to the NHL.

*** Please do not say that we are going to be more injured than last season because all of our players are a year older... It just won't happen.
I will bet most if not all of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Ericsson and DeKeyser will play more games than last season.

Our roster is not "over full", although I would like to rid ourselves of a couple spare parts (Andersson, Kindl). I'm one of the few that would like to see all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha start the season in Grand Rapids.

We are not "out of cap space already". We should still have over 6 million after Tatar and DeKeyser are signed.

As of today, I would bet we could challenge for the Division but more realistically we would finish around 4th or 5th in the Conference.

It's funny last year I made a thread "is anyone happy". An about 90% of the people on here maybe more were saying the same thing. About how we can compete for the easy etc etc. and we needed up rights where I thought we would. And it'll be the same this year.

The only things that can change that are if Weiss lives up to being a number 2 here. AND the kids have another great year. More specifically Tatar, nyquist, Sheahan, smith dekeyser.

The other thing is which I think will happen is Howard needs to bounce back and have another good year.

The problem is that's too many what ifs.

#2544 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I would bet a large amount of money that our key players play significantly more than they did last season, along with the development of our young guys and as a result we finish significantly higher than we did last season.

#2545 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I would bet a large amount of money that our key players play significantly more than they did last season, along with the development of our young guys and as a result we finish significantly higher than we did last season.

That be a foolish bet. Looking at guys like z dat Weiss and Franzen they're trending down injury wise. So why on earth would you expect it to be different? It's fine to hope and dream but you're basically asking for the sun to rise from the west...

#2546 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

I agree with Pulks, and Mantha for the 1st half of the season. But Jurco? Why? He's shown he's ready. Why in the good lords name should we re-sign Alfie and Cleary hypothetically, to bump down Jurco? I've got no problem with Hollands method with kids, but once a guy has shown he's ready for the dance, get him here full time. No more Nyquist situations.

#NOMOREKINDL

#2547 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

That be a foolish bet. Looking at guys like z dat Weiss and Franzen they're trending down injury wise. So why on earth would you expect it to be different? It's fine to hope and dream but you're basically asking for the sun to rise from the west...

The issues Hank have been having have been repaired. Weiss will be fine. He was stubborn and played hurt, and made things worst. He will be healthy and good to go this season. The extra long summer will help  Datsyuk a lot. There are also no olympics to cause him to keep playing hurt so he can represent his country. Franzen being out from time to time won;t be the end of the world with the depth in the system. In the end, it is highly unlikely these guys combined miss anywhere close to what they did last year. Wouldn't be a foolish bet what so ever.

#2548 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

DeGraa55, make the bet. I'm with marcaractac. There is very little chance for any of those players to miss anything close to what they missed last season. So that along with the young guys having another full season, we will be a much better team. Guaranteed!

Detroit # 1 Fan, I just don't see any harm in Jurco getting top line minutes down in Grand Rapids for another half season or so. Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

#2549 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

I agree with these points but, at the same time, I'd rather see the Tatar-Shaehan-Jurco line continue to develop their chemistry.

They were one of the most exciting lines to watch last season imo and they're only going to get better.

But yeah, not the end of the world if jurco starts in grand rapids....

Edited by amato, 08 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#2550 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

DeGraa55, make the bet. I'm with marcaractac. There is very little chance for any of those players to miss anything close to what they missed last season. So that along with the young guys having another full season, we will be a much better team. Guaranteed!

Detroit # 1 Fan, I just don't see any harm in Jurco getting top line minutes down in Grand Rapids for another half season or so. Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

I agree with you guys, chances are that both Dats and Z play more than 45 games.  They almost certainly will.  But I think it obscures the point a little.  Sure they'll play more than 45 games, but what if they only play 60...65?  We're f***ed either way. 

Hell, what if each Datsyuk and Zetterberg only miss 10 games but they happen to be games against the teams we're competing with for a playoff spot?  Remember how bunched together everyone was last year?

To me, the important point is that without those guys playing 100% on almost every given night, our team isn't very competitive.  Maybe the emergence of Nyquist, Tatar, etc. will render this a moot point...but I'm not sure everyone is convinced of this YET. 

Hence the allure of signing or trading for an impact player.  Then everyone could sigh a little when Dats goes down and say "whew, at least we've got Kesler, or Stastny, or Spezza, or whomever", and not "whew at least we've got Weiss, Helm, or Sheahan". 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#2551 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

What do you guys think of Ryan Malone? I haven't followed him too much after he left Pit, but could he be a in front of the net power forward type we could use?

I see Vancouver bought out Booth and he is a UFA.  Also, I would love to add Jeremy Welsh to our crop of young talent.  Other players that I think would be nice here INSTEAD of re-signing Cleary:

Heatley, Ott, Setoguchi and then the mentioned Booth and Malone..

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#2552 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

What do you guys think of Ryan Malone? I haven't followed him too much after he left Pit, but could he be a in front of the net power forward type we could use?

I see Vancouver bought out Booth and he is a UFA.  Also, I would love to add Jeremy Welsh to our crop of young talent.  Other players that I think would be nice here INSTEAD of re-signing Cleary:

Heatley, Ott, Setoguchi and then the mentioned Booth and Malone..

Malone would basically be a 2nd Abdelkader on our team that doesn't hit as much.  Heatley is a bad idea...he's like a poor man's Franzen these days.  Ott would be great here with his assholey abrasive style.  Not too familiar with Booth these days.  Setoguchi....as a big Jets fan as well, I can tell you I am insanely happy to not have him on the Jets anymore.  He's lazy, he's soft and he misses the net more than Franzen.

So out of those guys, yes to Ott, but only if we can dump Andersson to free up a spot.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#2553 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised to see either Zetterberg or Datsyuk to play close to a full season.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that between the two of them they play over 140 games and put up over 130 points.

I'll add to that by saying that Weiss has a career year putting up over 60 points, and Franzen will be at his usual 55-60 point pace.

I also think Nyquist and Tatar will beat last years point totals and between the both of them, they will put up 100+ points.

I may be a little overly optimistic, but hey, someone needs to counter all of the overly pessimistic people on here... :lol:

#2554 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Ya good luck with that.  Then he'd have to be accountable to the things he says. lol

I'm with ya in terms of those guys starting in the minors. Hell I'd get Griffins season tickets to see that squad. (If I lived there)

Jurco    Athanasiou    Mantha

Nastasiak Miele  Pulkkinen

Ferraro  Nosek   Callahan

Ouellet    Marchenko

Backman   Sproul

Nedomlel  Jensen

Mrazek

*sprinkle in the AHL vets

I also agree that Weiss is going to have a great year.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#2555 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'm thinking Z will play 70+ games.  Datsyuk should come close, too.  I just can't believe last year was anything but a ridiculous anomaly.  And as long as they're not injured at the same time, we should be fine for a few games without one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg.  There's just no way next year is as bad as last year.

Last season I joined the "Helm is made of glass" crowd, so I expect him to be injured.  Alfredsson will hopefully be resting throughout the season in back-to-back games, if he comes back.  I just think they will manage the injuries better.

There's always a fluke injury that sidelines someone for practically the whole season, but maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be one of the filler guys instead of one of the superstars we rely on.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2556 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yup, I would definitely have season tickets as well. I'll settle for watching every game online though. :)

I've seen the majority of games the past 3 years, but I won't miss any at all this year. So stoked to see all the boys, especially Mantha and Athanasiou and another year of Jurco and Pulkkinen as well. :cool:

I'm also expecting a Nestrasil to continue his steady play and for Frk to finally find his game at the pro level, and the slim chance that Tvrdon grabs a spot with the Griffs...

Well Ferraro and Callahan would have to clear waivers to be sent back down, I wouldn't mind the chance in losing Ferraro but I would hate the 24 hours praying that Callahan clears. I love that kid.

#2557 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Ott is washed up. No thanks. Jurco needs to be on the opening night roster.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#2558 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yup, I would definitely have season tickets as well. I'll settle for watching every game online though. :)

I've seen the majority of games the past 3 years, but I won't miss any at all this year. So stoked to see all the boys, especially Mantha and Athanasiou and another year of Jurco and Pulkkinen as well. :cool:

I'm also expecting a Nestrasil to continue his steady play and for Frk to finally find his game at the pro level, and the slim chance that Tvrdon grabs a spot with the Griffs...

Well Ferraro and Callahan would have to clear waivers to be sent back down, I wouldn't mind the chance in losing Ferraro but I would hate the 24 hours praying that Callahan clears. I love that kid.

It'll be interesting to see how the rosters play out.  I just don't see Ferraro or Callahan making the big club.

If they're on the AHL roster then I don't think Nestrasil/Frk/Tvrdon will make it.  There just won't be room.  Probably be ECHL bound again.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#2559 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

I see one of them (hopefully Callahan) making the big club as a 14th forward. I think Nestrasil will definitely be on the Griffins roster, and I'd be really disappointed if Frk is sent down to Toledo again. I think Tvrdon and Nedomlel will play the majority of the season with the Walleye.

#2560 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I see one of them (hopefully Callahan) making the big club as a 14th forward. I think Nestrasil will definitely be on the Griffins roster, and I'd be really disappointed if Frk is sent down to Toledo again. I think Tvrdon and Nedomlel will play the majority of the season with the Walleye.

I sure hope not.  A year and a half or so ago I stated that Pulkkinen would be a bust and Nedomlel would be a sleeper.  Pulkkinen is already making me look bad, Nedomlel really needs to step up. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."