• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

This is probably knee-jerk, emotional on my part, but watching this series reminds me a bit of the '95 sweep loss to the Devils. The Wings have a bunch of Bob Errey types getting pushed around by bigger, stronger players. Could have something to do with Chara being taller than a wookie. Anyhoo, it seems the regular season in the East is the same as in the West: 82 games of exhibition hockey and skills competitions. Now that the playoffs are here, the "big bad East" is looking big and bad.

With that said, I obviously think the Wings need to get bigger. That probably means, among other things, having to move Gus or Tatar for a guy with less slightly offensive potential but a bigger body.

I disagree we cannot trade goose or Tatar tot after seeing how great they were this year.

We need to get rid of sammy, cleary, Bert, Quincy and kindl in the offseason. Then I would like to form some sort of trade for Chris Stewart without giving up goose or Tatar tot. Also I would try to sign danny Boyle which would make our top 4 D much better and more improved.

So we need a new coach, a new GM, a new top Dman, a new top scorer, and a new starting goalie? Agreed?

Do we need a new logo too?

You would think the team has missed the playoffs for 23 straight years given the commentary on this forum.

Here's what we need -> HEALTH.

But also acquiring Kesler and Yandle would be good,

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ALFREDSSON

NYQUIST - KESLER - FRANZEN

TATAR - SHEAHAN - JURCO

ABDELKADER - HELM - MILLER

KRONWALL - ERICSSON

YANDLE - DEKEYSER

SMITH - LASHOFF

HOWARD

MRAZEK

SEE YA Bertuzzi, Cleary, Legwand, Samuelsson, Quincey, Gustavsson,

TRADE - Kindl, Weiss, Frk, Marchenko, Ferraro and draft picks to acquire Kesler and Yandle even though it will take more than that...

I disagree we cannot trade goose or Tatar tot after seeing how great they were this year.

We need to get rid of sammy, cleary, Bert, Quincy and kindl in the offseason. Then I would like to form some sort of trade for Chris Stewart without giving up goose or Tatar tot. Also I would try to sign danny Boyle which would make our top 4 D much better and more improved.

I'm torn. I really don't want to let either of those guys go.

On the other hand, you don't get something for nothing.

I guess the best case for letting one of them go might be Anaheim. That team was stupidly fun to watch in the 90s, with Kariya on one wing and Selanne on the other. They never won the cup, though.

When they finally did, they still had Selanne, but they were rolling out guys like Getzlaf, Penner, Perry.

Unlike the 90s Ducks, I couldn't stand the 00s Ducks. But they won.

Big guys are a dime a dozen. Big guys who skate, pass, and shoot well enough to pull off the pretty give-and-go that Iginla and Lucic had a couple games ago -- those guys *aren't* a dime a dozen. I dunno who's hitting FA this offseason. Maybe that's an option. But it's also possible that some sort of trade would be necessary.

edit: I'm not running any of the kids out of town. Just spitballing, here... A good game 4 and maybe my mind won't be wandering.

Edited by IndianaRedWing

How good is Matt Niskanen? I don't watch many Penguins games, so I'm not too sure. He's a pending UFA and will surely have a lot of teams interested in overpaying for him this summer.

I know he can put up points, but is he reliable defensively?

Call up Jarnkrok, he's been great.... Oh wait.

Seriously though this team can not win with players like Helm, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Franzen, etc occupying top line spots. Helm and Abby are both good players, but Babcock has been trying to use them in roles they don't have the talent to fill. As for Bertuzzi and Franzen? Package them for a 7th and a bag of pucks and hope that the other GM doesn't figure out he got fleeced.

You would think the team has missed the playoffs for 23 straight years given the commentary on this forum.

I have mixed feelings about your post. Sure, fans overreact when their team looks as bad as we have the last couple of games. And obviously, the sky is not falling. You're right, we've made the playoffs a whole bunch of times and in general we're lucky we never have to watch a bottom feeder.

But you also make it seem like we should pat ourselves on the back for making the playoffs as if that's some victory in and of itself. It would be...for the Lions. But given that the Red Wings ALWAYS make it, there's some expectation that periodically they'll challenge for a Cup, or make it to the finals, or even make it to the conference finals...none of which we've done since 2009.

If it's an overreaction to assume that everything about the team sucks and the Wings are terrible, its an equally bad under-reaction to assume that nothing is wrong with the team, and if not for a few less injuries we'd have been competing for Cups these last few years.

I guess all I'm saying is that if you look at it objectively, there is some reason to worry that the team is trending in the wrong direction (e.g. barely making the playoffs, stinking up their first round series' against Nashville and now Boston, blowing 3-1 series leads, etc.)

Edited by kipwinger

Are Tatar/Sheahan unrestricted free agents after next year, or do they have another year of pending RFA status?

They will both be RFA's until they are 27. That is unless they don't get a qualifying offer, which obviously won't happen.

Not sure, but if you are confusing it with waiver exempt status, neither player can go back to GR next season.

How good is Matt Niskanen? I don't watch many Penguins games, so I'm not too sure. He's a pending UFA and will surely have a lot of teams interested in overpaying for him this summer.

I know he can put up points, but is he reliable defensively?

He's all but played Letang out of his top line spot in these playoffs. Which is funny because the Pens just spent a fortune to keep Letang and likely won't be able to resign Niskanen now despite his obviously superior play.

Anyway, Niskenen is like a young Kronwall (without the hits). His defense is average, and his puck moving ability, hockey smarts, and point shot are all above average.

He's all but played Letang out of his top line spot in these playoffs. Which is funny because the Pens just spent a fortune to keep Letang and likely won't be able to resign Niskanen now despite his obviously superior play.

Anyway, Niskenen is like a young Kronwall (without the hits). His defense is average, and his puck moving ability, hockey smarts, and point shot are all above average.

I could maybe see the pens moving letang to keep niskenen

I could maybe see the pens moving letang to keep niskenen

I could see them trying. I don't now who would take Letang. His contract is the only thing more terrible than his defense.

8 years at 7.2 million dollars. Unbelievable.

Edited by kipwinger

same needs that we have had for the last 4 or 5 years. More size, more grit, more toughness. We have lots of guys that can skate, handle the puck and shoot. But we have zero guys that work in front of the net, in the corners, or pound the other teams Dmen. That is, as it has always been, the way you win in the PO's. getting a bunch of shots from 30+ feet away is not going to do it. never has. The problem is, to get what we need we will have to give up some guys that many of us like. There are very few quality UFA's to sign, most of which don't do the things we need. However signing a big name guy like Vanek/Callahan/Moulson does allow you to flip some younger versions of them for our needs. But I expect to largely stand pat in the off season.

It's not that. There's a lot to be hopeful for in the future. But the point is you don't just sit and wait for players to develop in sports. If you can do something to make your team better now, you do. We're improving and we're doing alright, but obviously there's room for improvement anywhere. We cleary, clearly, clearly need improvement on defense. We need a puck-moving defenseman. He doesn't have to be the greatest defender, but we need a Top 2 defenseman who can move the puck, play smart with it and score (or assist).

A bottom pairing shut-down guy is secondary but would help us greatly since the bottom pairing is always a glaring weak link.

We could theoretically run with the forwards we have, but if Holland can improve in this area he should. A big guy would come in handy here, so long as he has a knack for getting to the net. Nyquist and Tatar have that attack mentality that we needed, but they're not big enough.

As for Howard, chances are we keep him. He's not terrible like some say. But again, Holland would be wise to at the very least inquire about possibly replacing him with someone better, only after everything else is fixed. I'm just suggesting we should get away from assuming Howard is untouchable and say we'll only go as far as he takes us. So far, we haven't gotten out of the second round. If a better option presents itself, we should take it.

As others have said, you have to give up something to receive something. It's not that I don't like Gus and Tatar. I do. But perhaps one smallish young forward is enough when the team seems to have other needs.

Call up Jarnkrok, he's been great.... Oh wait.

Seriously though this team can not win with players like Helm, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Franzen, etc occupying top line spots. Helm and Abby are both good players, but Babcock has been trying to use them in roles they don't have the talent to fill. As for Bertuzzi and Franzen? Package them for a 7th and a bag of pucks and hope that the other GM doesn't figure out he got fleeced.

Or we could have the other team fill our pop machines for the next 3 years.

Compliant Buyout Franzen.

Regular Buyout Tootoo.

Trade Stephen Weiss, 2014 1st, and 2015 3rd round pick to St. Louis Blues for rights to RFA LW Patrik Berglund. Immediately sign him to a 4-year, $4.45M/yr contract.

Sign LW Tomas Vanek to 3-year, $9.00M/yr contract.

Sign D Dan Boyle to a 1-year, $6.00M contract.

Re-Sign C David Legwand to a 2-year, $4.50M/yr contract.

Re-Sign D Danny DeKeyser to a 3-year, $3.50M/yr contract.

Re-Sign G Jonas Gustavsson to a 1-year, $3.50M contract.

Re-Sign RFA LW Tomas Tatar to a 1-year, $950K contract.

Re-Sign RFA C Riley Sheahan to a 1-year, $950K contract.

Vanek-Datsyuk-Legwand
Berglund-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Andersson-Glendening

Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-DeKeyser
Marchenko-Boyle

Lashoff

So Gustavsson and Boyle move on/retire after next year. Frees up money for re-signing Gustav Nyquist ($3.75M/yr for 3 years?), Tatar ($2.75M/yr for 4 years?), and Sheahan ($2.75M/yr for 4 years?). The last two basically sacrifice their first year or two years of UFA for a big raise over their RFA years. By the time Legwand is done with his contract, the team will have Mantha, Ouellett, and Sproul up. Only thing the team would be missing is a #1 C for Datsyuk, depending on his health/ability/desire to play in NHL... Vanek would be 34 and the team could assess him then, too.

Edited by _SP_

Brian McGrattan, Colton Orr, Steve MacIntyre, Patrick Bordelaux someone of that pack is hugely needed

then - which is hard to find - defensive help Pittsburgh likely won't have the money to re-sign him so maybe there is a slight chance at Niskanen but I would prefer someone like Luke Schenn (big mean, physical and nasty)

They will both be RFA's until they are 27. That is unless they don't get a qualifying offer, which obviously won't happen.

Not sure, but if you are confusing it with waiver exempt status, neither player can go back to GR next season.

Nah, I was talking about RFA. What's the formula for determining that?

Compliant Buyout Franzen.

Regular Buyout Tootoo.

Trade Stephen Weiss, 2014 2nd, and 2015 3rd round pick to St. Louis Blues for rights to RFA LW Patrik Berglund. Immediately sign him to a 4-year, $4.45M/yr contract.

Sign LW Tomas Vanek to 3-year, $9.00M/yr contract.

Sign D Dan Boyle to a 1-year, $6.00M contract.

Re-Sign C David Legwand to a 2-year, $4.50M/yr contract.

Re-Sign D Danny DeKeyser to a 3-year, $3.50M/yr contract.

Re-Sign G Jonas Gustavsson to a 1-year, $3.50M contract.

Re-Sign RFA LW Tomas Tatar to a 1-year, $950K contract.

Re-Sign RFA C Riley Sheahan to a 1-year, $950K contract.

Vanek-Datsyuk-Legwand

Berglund-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Andersson-Glendening

Kronwall-Smith

Ericsson-DeKeyser

Marchenko-Boyle

Lashoff

So Gustavsson and Boyle move on/retire after next year. Frees up money for re-signing Gustav Nyquist ($3.75M/yr for 3 years?), Tatar ($2.75M/yr for 4 years?), and Sheahan ($2.75M/yr for 4 years?). The last two basically sacrifice their first year or two years of UFA for a big raise over their RFA years. By the time Legwand is done with his contract, the team will have Mantha, Ouellett, and Sproul up. Only thing the team would be missing is a #1 C for Datsyuk, depending on his health/ability/desire to play in NHL... Vanek would be 34 and the team could assess him then, too.

If I were David Legwand and I just got demoted to garbage minutes on the fourth line after I put up more points than anyone on the Red Wings team, waived my no-trade clause to come here in the first place, and centered the team's highest producing line of the year, I'd tell Ken Holland to go f*** himself if he called and asked me to re-sign with no raise.

If I were David Legwand and I just got demoted to garbage minutes on the fourth line after I put up more points than anyone on the Red Wings team, waived my no-trade clause to come here in the first place, and centered the team's highest producing line of the year, I'd tell Ken Holland to go f*** himself if he called and asked me to re-sign with no raise.

Or, it's his hometown team, and it takes more than seven weeks to develop chemistry with players, especially with a number of guys going in and out of the lineup (Datsyuk/Helm/Franzen soon to be Zetterberg, etc.) and he just miiight be looking forward to an opportunity to play on the top line for his favorite team growing up?

Or, it's his hometown team, and it takes more than seven weeks to develop chemistry with players, especially with a number of guys going in and out of the lineup (Datsyuk/Helm/Franzen soon to be Zetterberg, etc.) and he just miiight be looking forward to an opportunity to play on the top line for his favorite team growing up?

Why in the world would he play on the top line, the coach just demoted him to the fourth line and won't move him despite the team's obvious offensive struggles? You think he's going to take less than market value, coming off one of his best years ever, to play for a coach who treats him like a scrub? Good luck.

SP, while I like people thinking outside of the box you have to be somewhat realistic. Weiss, the 2014 2nd round pick-which we don't own, and a 2015 3rd round pick is not going to get us berglund or anyone else in the NHL.

TBH not sure we need or should resign Legwand either. He looks bad vs Bos and has been very average since coming over. He is a 3c at best at this point in his career-33 years old. 2-3 year deal for no more than 3.5 million per is the max I would offer, and that is only if I had to to fill a hole after a trade.