• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#621 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

Boyes is the exact type of player that would sign a longish deal with the wings and completely disappear. Guy isn't reliable if you look at his career stats. 

Well, I certainly wouldn't want a longish deal. Something on the short side. And his current cap hit is, like, $1M. So the thought was he might be one of those ultra-bargain types, like Sammy way back when.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#622 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

1. I say we cut bait on Weiss and use our 2nd compliance buyout on him.

2. Bert, Cleary, Sammy are all gone 

3. Bridge contracts (2 year) for Tatar (about 1M), Sheahan (about 1M), DeKeyser (about 1.4M)

4. Make a run at Ryan Callahan if TB can't resign him before FA.

5. If Alfie wants to come back at take less $ (say 4M next year) then so be it... Jurco starts the season in GR

6. If we don't get a big FA forward, then we think about resigning Legwand - But where does he go? Pav, Helm, and Sheahan are all centering lines next year - Is Legwand better than Helm or Sheahan? Are we going to pay 4M+ for a 3rd or 4th line center?

7. Make an attempt at a top pairing FA D-Man like Markov. Most likely, he will stay in MTL. Unfortunately, there aren't many options better than Quincey out there.

8. Make a trade to free up some room. Would be awesome to get an extra pick or two for the loaded 2015 draft.

Z-Pav-FA (Callahan)

Mule-Helm-Alfie

Gus-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Glendening-Abby

Andersson/Ferraro?

Kronner/Smith

E/DK

Q/Lahoff

Kindl

#623 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

Euro twins and Nyquist

Kid Line

Weiss-Helm-Franzen

Miller-Andersson-Abby

Glendening, Callahan and Ferraro fight it out for the extra spots

I wish Alfie and Legwand good luck with their future endeavors...unless Weiss never recovers, then I probably keep Legwand over Alfie because he's younger and more likely to give me a decent outing on any given night.  Alfie's age has caught up to him.

On defense...If I can't trade for a top 4 guy that can move the puck, I let Quincey walk and elevate Marchenko to the top 6 and let Lashoff and Kindl fight it out for the 6th spot.  If I can get a top 4 guy I let Quincey walk and Marchenko bumps Lashoff.  So the D looks like

Kronwall-?

Ericsson-Dekeyser

Marchenko-Smith

Kindl

Edited by Shinzaki, 31 March 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#624 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

3. Bridge contracts (2 year) for Tatar (about 1M), Sheahan (about 1M), DeKeyser (about 1.4M)

5. If Alfie wants to come back at take less $ (say 4M next year) then so be it... Jurco starts the season in GR

6. If we don't get a big FA forward, then we think about resigning Legwand - But where does he go? Pav, Helm, and Sheahan are all centering lines next year - Is Legwand better than Helm or Sheahan? Are we going to pay 4M+ for a 3rd or 4th line center?

7. Make an attempt at a top pairing FA D-Man like Markov. Most likely, he will stay in MTL. Unfortunately, there aren't many options better than Quincey out there.

8. Make a trade to free up some room. Would be awesome to get an extra pick or two for the loaded 2015 draft.

Z-Pav-FA (Callahan)

Mule-Helm-Alfie

Gus-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Glendening-Abby

Andersson/Ferraro?

Kronner/Smith

E/DK

Q/Lahoff

Kindl

Compliance can not be used on Weiss. He signed a post-lockout deal.

Edited by rick zombo, 31 March 2014 - 08:05 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#625 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Weiss can't be a compliance buyout.  He was signed after the new CBA.

So retaining one or both of Alfie or Legwand will be our usual Holland FA signings.

Definitely want Bert, Clears, and Sammy gone and if we're retaining Alfie & Legwand... this is a done deal.

Bridge contracts seem appropriate for those guys, most definitely.

Ryan Callahan wants too much money for what he brings to the table.

A defenseman that can play in the top two pairings would be nice. I really think it needs to happen via trade as NONE of the pending UFA defensemen really entice me that much.  Markov is too old and broken down. Have you checked his games played over the last few years... really brutal. If there's one thing this team does not need is another injury prone player.

I would use any trade pieces, picks or prospects to get the defenseman.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#626 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Not sure if people know but Tyler Bertuzzi is back from his serious injury earlier this season and is now leading his team in the playoffs.

3 goals and 1 assist in 3 playoff games so far.  I know quite a few (looking at you Richdg) who completely counted this kid out and wrote him off for nothing.

Glad to see he's back and seeing success.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#627 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Not sure if people know but Tyler Bertuzzi is back from his serious injury earlier this season and is now leading his team in the playoffs.

3 goals and 1 assist in 3 playoff games so far.  I know quite a few (looking at you Richdg) who completely counted this kid out and wrote him off for nothing.

Glad to see he's back and seeing success.

Glad to see he's back again and dominating AGAIN. Just like with Helm Z and Franzen this year ppl like rich speculated his hockey career was over. What a buncha malarky

#628 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

We all agree that the Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson all should go.  I think up front we are good even with re-signing Legwand and possibly Alfredsson.  The only guys on the bubble will be Callahan and Ferraro.  Moving Weiss and Andersson to wing will help as well.  Jurco and Glendening (for now) have exemptions left to be able to start the season in GR so we can become compliant.  If Gustavsson can play like yesterday and frickin stay healthy all next season, I am fine with giving him another year to allow Mrazek more time in GR, if not the I would pursue Vokoun again. 

Our pressing need is D.  Not only a top pairing guy, but also better #4 and #6 guys.  Quincey cannot be a Red Wing next season, not even if he took a pay cut.  Kindl has topped and bottomed out already and needs to be gone.  If we cannot get a draft pick for him, then he needs to be the buyout.

I agree that the top pairing guy needs to come via trade, but at what cost? Sure there is always our 1st round pick to ante up, but it will also cost players.  I am fine with getting 2 stay at home vets to fill in the void and let Smith play with Kronwall in the top pairing.  I know you are tired of hearing Mitchell and Morris, but those two would fit the bill wonderfully.  Our D would be 100 times better with those two over Kindl and Quincey.

My only worry is what happens with Jurco and Glendening because you are eventually going to want those two in your lineup.  Sure they will be able to go to GR without losing them, but when do you call them up? Maybe we don't get as injured next season...Almqvist, Ferraro and Callahan to me are tradable, but for what?  Maybe for some draft depth, I sure would hate to lose them for nothing.  Alfredsson I am on the fence over.  I would rather re-sign Legwand if I had to choose, but I cannot ignore the points Alfredsson has given us when healthy.  So my team next season, in no particular order would look similar to this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Weiss - Legwand - Franzen

Abdelkader - Sheahan - Tatar

Miller - Helm - Andersson

Ferraro - Callahan

Kronwall - Smith

Ericsson - Morris

Dekeyser - Mitchell

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson (if not then Vokoun)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#629 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

I swear if Bertuzzi or Cleary come back I'm gonna lose my mind. I'll be ok with Q and Leggy back on decent contracts. Kindl should get a compliance buyout. Tootoo regular buyout unless management are fine with the cap hit for one more year.

#630 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

I swear if Bertuzzi or Cleary come back I'm gonna lose my mind. I'll be ok with Q and Leggy back on decent contracts. Kindl should get a compliance buyout. Tootoo regular buyout unless management are fine with the cap hit for one more year.

I nominate Bert to be the team greeter next year, like they have at Wal-Mart.

Edited by wings87, 31 March 2014 - 11:52 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#631 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Can't use a compliance buyout on Kindl. His extension was signed post lockout. His buyout would cost 788k for the first two years, 288k the third, and 888k for three years after that.

#632 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Can't use a compliance buyout on Kindl. His extension was signed post lockout. His buyout would cost 788k for the first two years, 288k the third, and 888k for three years after that.

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

#633 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Don't think we can find someone for kindl? The term 3 yrs might be a problem but his cap isn't that high

#634 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Don't think we can find someone for kindl? The term 3 yrs might be a problem but his cap isn't that high

I think you could trade him.  I just don't think the return would be great, but who cares right? 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#635 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

There are gonna be so many people on these forums eating crow once Weiss is healthy. And I cannot wait.

#636 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I think you could trade him.  I just don't think the return would be great, but who cares right?

Indeed.  The only way you're going to get great return for him is if he is packaged for a greater return.  In which case, people will complain about overpaying... but whatever.  You trade him to a place that has difficulty signing players.  Like EDM or NYI ...or to a rebuilding team that needs a reasonable cap-hit.  Like CGY or BUF.  

...and there's no way we're moving Weiss in the off-season.  His value is at an all-time low and his potential if he makes a rebound when healthy is way too high.

Edited by e_prime, 31 March 2014 - 01:11 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#637 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Abdelkader go?

Z-D-Gus

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Franzen-Weiss/Legwand-Alfie

Miller-Glendening-Helm

That's what I'd like to see.

#638 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Abdelkader go?

Z-D-Gus

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Franzen-Weiss/Legwand-Alfie

Miller-Glendening-Helm

That's what I'd like to see.

After seeing what Abby brought to the table last years playoffs, we're gonna need him. He also brought a lot of energy in his return last game as well. A lot of tough decisions to be made up front regardless. Good problem to have.

#639 mildmild

mildmild

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Honestly I rather see the mule go before abby....I know I going to get crushes for that but I'm truly over the mules lack of effort

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

#640 tatquist21_14

tatquist21_14

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Need a number 1 D guy. Need a number 4 D guy. Need a power foward/sniper for first line with dats/z. Last but not least need a blessing from the hockey God's for our players to stay healthy.

P.s. wouldn't hurt to upgrade our average goalie who let's in weak goals. But with an upgraded defense it should do.