2594 replies to this topic

#641 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

There are gonna be so many people on these forums eating crow once Weiss is healthy. And I cannot wait.

YsU8Kwn.jpg

#642 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

I think you could trade him.  I just don't think the return would be great, but who cares right?

Who might take a chance on him? Any ideas? I Always think of Edm cause they got so many problems so who knows

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Abdelkader go?

Z-D-Gus
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss/Legwand-Alfie
Miller-Glendening-Helm

That's what I'd like to see.

No way helm and abdelkader are playoff warriors and we need those type of guys to score the odd goals when the top 6 can't score

That's why I'm not sold on glendening and his non existent hockey skills .... Even McCarty came up with some big goals ... Joey kocur .... The grind line , bottom 6 is gonna have to show up to get us to the finals and I don't see how lending will all of a sudden pop a few goals in the playoffs at this point

#643 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Who might take a chance on him? Any ideas? I Always think of Edm cause they got so many problems so who knows

No way helm and abdelkader are playoff warriors and we need those type of guys to score the odd goals when the top 6 can't score

That's why I'm not sold on glendening and his non existent hockey skills .... Even McCarty came up with some big goals ... Joey kocur .... The grind line , bottom 6 is gonna have to show up to get us to the finals and I don't see how lending will all of a sudden pop a few goals in the playoffs at this point

Glendening is shutting down and pissing off the likes of Crosby and Stamkos in his rookie season - and he wasn't even suppposed to be on the roster. That's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Goals will come. He's certainly had his chances.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#644 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I actually think Kindl would be good on a run and gun team like Washington or Florida.  Teams like that usually don't get forechecked too hard and that's Kindl's biggest weakness.  On a team like that I think he'd be good because he's a good skater and his shot is fine.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#645 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Glendening is shutting down and pissing off the likes of Crosby and Stamkos in his rookie season - and he wasn't even suppposed to be on the roster. That's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Goals will come. He's certainly had his chances.

Did you guys hear Ken Daniels quoting Babcock on Glenny:

"Other than Nick Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Crosby, Toews, and Bergeron, Luke Gendening is the most competitive player I've ever coached."

#646 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

"Other than Nick Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Crosby, Toews, and Bergeron, Luke Gendening is the most competitive player I've ever coached."

That's awesome.

The kid is a revelation. What he's doing is, to me, as impressive as what Nyquist is doing on the other end of the rink. The sort-of irony is that having a(n admittedly offensively-challenged) shutdown stud anchoring your fourth line should, in theory, open things up a bit for your other three lines, which can make all the difference in the world in a tight-checking best-of-seven. If, say, Zetterberg doesn't have to shadow the opposition's biggest gun on every shift, he can focus more on scoring, maybe get more o-zone starts, maybe get some favorable line matchups at home. IMHO, that's largely where postseason series are won. The matchups chess match.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#647 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

It also bodes very well for Glendening developing and becoming even better than he is right now.

You can really tell in interviews that the cock just loves Glendening.

Edited by Ekmanc, 31 March 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#648 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

And the penalty he drew, the cross check he took to the head didn't slow him at all. No "omg, I got hit in the side of the head, ouch, look everybody, ouch, someone hit me with their stick! "

#649 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

I heard it that night, but I thought the quote was "...most dependable player." Either way, HUGE compliment. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 31 March 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#650 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

f***....Christian Folan (This year's Dekeyser only he's Swede and right-handed)  signed with Minnesota...

Per Pierre Lebrun

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#651 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

I heard it that night, but I thought the quote was "...most dependable player." Either way, HUGE compliment. 

I recorded the game and remembered it.   He says this at 14:20 of the 2nd period.  This is word for word.

"Mike Babcock got our attention today when he rated Glendening one his top 10 most competitive players he's ever coached.  

I mean he's got Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg...talking about guys like Crosby and Toews.

Here's a kid who was a walk-on in college, undrafted in the NHL, 3rd/4th line minutes in the NHL and ranking right up there with those future hall of famers.

Just the names he said...Yzerman, Lidstrom, Crosby, Toews and Bergeron........and Glendening....."

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#652 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Can we sign one or all 3 of Lidstrom's sons to contracts? I gotta imagine having three mini number 5's on defense wouldnt be so bad.

#653 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Its a nice sentiment but I think it's a bit of an overstatement.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#654 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

I don't think so. He doesn't have the natural god given talent like other players have. But if you watch him every shift he is always bringing it. He gives 100% every single shift.

Franzen can float and give 5% and score because he has some natural god given talent(all wasted I know but still natural talent).

#655 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Why?

#656 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Babcock has a soft spot for mostly plug type guys with hands of lead that work their ape-s***-******* ballz off all the time. Like Cleary used to be (only the newf had pretty good hands)

It’s because he’s from the prairies.  :lol:

He probably slaps Tatar around after every game, while eating steak and watching Justified with Luke. 

Srsly though, Glendenning’s great IMO. 

Edited by rick zombo, 01 April 2014 - 12:03 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#657 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Why?

Let me preface what I'm about to say,so no one gets the wrong idea, by stating that I'm a huge fan of Glendening and hope that he continues to get a chance to develop with the Red Wings.

Glendening is a good fourth liner with potential, that tries every shift, but listing him 8th in competitiveness out of all the players Babs has coached is the essence of Hyperbole. Now I'm not Babs and I can't flat out state that his views are wrong, but how do you quantify a players competitiveness and what makes Glendening more competitive then say, Draper or Cleary? I'm not disputing at all that Glendening is ultra competitive just the fact that after only seeing him for half a season Babs has anointed Glendening as the 8th best competitor he's ever coached, it's too much too soon. If Babs said, "Glendening is one of the most competitive and hard working players I've ever coached" that would be just fine, but IMHO he took it a step too far; which made it seem like an overstatement from a coach that has fallen in love with a player.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#658 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

I don't think so. He doesn't have the natural god given talent like other players have. But if you watch him every shift he is always bringing it. He gives 100% every single shift.

And it's not just what we see of him on the ice in games.

http://www.mlive.com...ening_is_e.html

“Luke Glendening came to Michigan as a recruited walk-on with no promise that he’d ever play,” Berenson said. “He just wanted a chance with the team. He made a mark every day in practice. He ended up being our captain his junior and senior years.

“He never led the team in scoring, but he was our leader on and off the ice. Now he’s showing that he can play pro hockey and now he’s in the NHL. He’s a good example for young kids that aren’t getting all the attention and aren’t draftable and aren’t this and aren’t that, but they really want a chance.”

Edited by Dabura, 01 April 2014 - 12:55 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#659 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Babcock has a soft spot for mostly plug type guys with hands of lead that work their ape-s***-******* ballz off all the time. Like Cleary used to be (only the newf had pretty good hands)

It’s because he’s from the prairies.  :lol:

He probably slaps Tatar around after every game, while eating steak and watching Justified with Luke. 

Srsly though, Glendenning’s great IMO. 

Definitely agree with what you're saying,  but again, not to take too much away from Glendenning at all. He's a hell of a player and if he can keep working as hard as he is, he's going to have a great career and likely pick up his fair share of Selkes.

But the best part of this comment is the image of Babs and Luke's post-game ritual. Hysterical. No wonder Tatar's gotta party so hard when he gets home.

Edited by gcom007, 01 April 2014 - 01:00 AM.

-Elliot

#660 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

And it's not just what we see of him on the ice in games.

http://www.mlive.com...ening_is_e.html

So is there anything not to like about this guy? I really think this guy could be such an important part of this team for some time to come the way he's going. I've always thought that it's really important and beneficial to have guys out there that make it on work ethic alone because they push everybody. If you look at any pursuit in life, there are people who have natural talent and it's a lot easier for them to coast along on it, at least for awhile, but at some point, the people with the fire and passion who outwork everyone around them tend to catch up. Those are the guys that can push all of your players to be better, and they're great guys to build a unit around.

I really think the key to success in the cap era is going to be bargain hunting for a crew of less-skilled guys with tremendous work ethics on your back lines. Those are the guys that are really coachable and can work great in a system; they're a tremendous value for what you get which allows you to spend more on your top lines. They also tend to contribute what they contribute more consistently than the guys you rely on to score. If you can consistently shut down another teams top guys for the most part game after game, even if you're struggling to score yourself, you're going to have a much better chance of grinding out a win.

On that note, and to be more on topic, I'd love to have Eaves back at some point when we have an actual role for him to fit into consistently. Again, another guy with great character and work ethic. On a team where he actually had a consistent role and didn't get tossed around like he has this season due to our roster issues, I think he can become a really important player working on a 3rd line, and the guy does have a bit of offensive upside. It's really too bad he was traded because he would've been real nice to have around if he didn't succumb to injury during this last month or so. And I honestly think if not for some of the injury issues, he'd be a more important part of this team still. He was definitely helpful in the playoffs last year for us, which is all the more impressive considering what he had to come back from to be there.

-Elliot