• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#661 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

He's Maltby with about 15lbs of added muscle.  He could stay stuck on zero goals and still be a key part of a cup winner.

Re Folin...eh...we have two RH shooting Dmen on the GR roster in Sproul and Marchenko who are just about NHL ready from what I've seen and read.   Haven't seen anything of Folin, but that one talking head on CBC said scouts thought he was a notch below Dekeyser

#662 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Ok, lets look at the players a lot of folks here deem expendable and not upcoming UFA's.

Kindl, Andersson, Almqvist, Callahan, Ferraro, Tootoo, and maybe Lashoff, Miller.

Throw in our 1st round pick in any package, and I don't think any combo of the above mentioned is going to bring us a #1/2 defenseman.  That is why, Holland should trim the fat by only re-signing Legwand and MAYBE Alfredsson and Gustavson as UFA's and then making room on his roster by acquiring draft picks for the expendable players that would open up enough roster spots to keep all the kids here and get a couple of solid second to third pairing d-men the make this D tougher to play against.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#663 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's going to be extraordinarily difficult to land a top-end defenseman this summer. I think our best bet is Ehrhoff, as he's a solid #2 who wouldn't cost a thousand roster players. Also, I think we've sort of debunked this idea that his contract would be a tremendous burden. Also #2: Quincey, Lashoff, and Kindl are replaceable, so it's not like adding a defenseman or two would necessarily mean that there'll be no room for up-and-coming Griffins. Plus, Almqvist's future probably doesn't lie with the Wings (watch him become the next Lidstrom on another team), and one of Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko would be going to Buffalo for Ehrhoff.

Kronwall  Ericsson

Ehrhoff  DeKeyser

Smith  Marchenko

Something like that, maybe. I guess Marchenko could be Matt Greene or Derek Morris instead, if only because Smith should probably be paired with a steady vet.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#664 Prashanth Iyer

Prashanth Iyer

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

So I created an offseason gameplan that I think puts the Wings in a good position for coming years. What do you guys think? 

http://thehockeywrit...eason-gameplan/

#665 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Looks pretty good. I think there is a good chance legwand is resigned however. 

#666 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

So I created an offseason gameplan that I think puts the Wings in a good position for coming years. What do you guys think? 

http://thehockeywrit...eason-gameplan/

Meh. I wouldn't complain too much since there isn't really a ton of options out there, but I'd like to see a bit more on defense, and I'd like a penalty killer with some scoring upside. Someone who could be a direct upgrade over Miller, Andersson, or Glendening.

#667 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

I want the WIngs to heavily invest in cloning, and have a Nyquist on every line.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#668 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

I want the WIngs to heavily invest in cloning, and have a Nyquist on every line.

If we're going with cloning, I think it's high time we get that Lidstrom out of cryo freeze...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#669 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

If we're going with cloning, I think it's high time we get that Lidstrom out of cryo freeze...

He's not ready yet, he's too busy partying with Ted Williams. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#670 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

Man mattias backman's team lost 8-2 today and he somehow managed to pull off being a +1 LOL .... I think that says a lot about him , he also finished first in +/- in the swedish elite league

Think we might have a good one there

#671 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Figured I'd put this here.  I think there's already far far too many new threads being started for needless things.  Really junking up the main forum. /End rant.

Athanasiou with another amazing move.  This time in a playoff game when down 4-0. Hence why there's no celebration.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#672 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

If Darren Helm and Jesus had a baby, it would be Andreas Anatahanasiounosaoisuou.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#673 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Next season needs more Hampus and a whole lotta Melen.

I'm getting tired of waiting. Get your s*** together Holland!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#674 trule23

trule23

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

Anyone think we'll get a defenseman in the offseason? Or will Holland keep being Holland?

#675 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

We do have dedicated threads already to off season moves we think might happen

#676 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

At this point, I think they could definitely use a stop-gap before Ouellet, Marchenko, Sproul, etc. come up to the big club. I don't want that stop gap to be Kyle Quincey again. Almquist should battle for a spot on the team in camp, and I think he could be an asset on the PP, even just for the short term. Lashoff has been running around too much lately, and I'm not sure how much management trusts him as an every day defender. 

Out of the UFA crop I'd be willing to take a look at Meszaros, Orpik, Mitchell, Greene or Nikitin before I went with Quincey/Lashoff as a regular, even if it's just as a two-year transition period. I know some (maybe most) of those guys will be retained by their current team, but those are pretty much the five I'd take over the current situation. Worst case scenario, so long as Quincey moves on, I'd still be fine with some combination of Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith and DeKeyser as the top 4, with Kindl, Lashoff and Almquist rounding things out.

I just hope Kenny doesn't have some misguided sense of loyalty toward Quincey. He's a product of the team's development and they gave up a 1st for him... but he's still Kyle Quincey. Please, just let him go, Kenny.

#677 trule23

trule23

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

What about Christian Ehrhoff? or am I dreaming?

#678 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

We have stop gaps til the Griffins are ready..their names are Smith, Lashoff and Kindl

#679 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

We have stop gaps til the Griffins are ready..their names are Smith, Lashoff and Kindl

Don't forget about worthless Quincey...

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#680 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Don't forget about worthless Quincey...

I think Quincey's been pretty good lately. Not great or stellar, but solid. Aside from some of the penalties he takes I don't think he's the detriment people make him out to be. Do I wish he contributed more offensively? Sure, but he's not at the top of my list of defensive worries. Kindl on the other hand is infuriating.