• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#861 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

I know this isn't 2002. We've done nothing in the salary cap era except horrible deals. Holland should go too.

Lidstrom definitely won some of those trophies despite stats because of reputation but whatever. His offensive numbers were also always better than Kronwalls. Go through every team's top d-man and you'll see Kronwall has struggled since being "the" guy. That's just a fact. The man can't even hit the net, let alone a player, anymore. You can improve this team but not accepting mediocrity. If Big E and Kronwall are pair 2 and Dekeyser and Smith are pair 3 that solves a lot. Now spend our youth and trade for two top d-men. And sign another forward with cap space.

Good luck fitting your dream defense under the salary cap! And yes, lets trade all of the youth so the team can be good for 2-3 years and then be absolutely screwed. Genius plan. Smelling a dynasty already. 

Seriously though. I'd love to know what magical team(s) is gonna give up 2 top dmen that are better than Kronwall, considering there might be only about 10 of them in the entire league. You know what that means? Kronwall IS a #1 dman. Yoo know what would happen in your dream scenario? There would be no depth because all the cap would be tied up in too few players. If you want the 3rd pairing and 4th line to always be players making league minimum, I guess that works. The problem is, teams in such situations never win. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NHL 14 doesn't work in the real world. 

#862 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

Good luck fitting your dream defense under the salary cap! And yes, lets trade all of the youth so the team can be good for 2-3 years and then be absolutely screwed. Genius plan. Smelling a dynasty already. 

Seriously though. I'd love to know what magical team(s) is gonna give up 2 top dmen that are better than Kronwall, considering there might be only about 10 of them in the entire league. You know what that means? Kronwall IS a #1 dman. Yoo know what would happen in your dream scenario? There would be no depth because all the cap would be tied up in too few players. If you want the 3rd pairing and 4th line to always be players making league minimum, I guess that works. The problem is, teams in such situations never win. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NHL 14 doesn't work in the real world. 

The Blackhawks have all their money tied up in a few guys...Hmm....

And why only 2-3 years? Did I say sign 37+ year olds? No, so not sure where you got that from.

And it's your opinion that there are only 10 defenseman better - in +/- he finished 130. In defenseman only. Pretty good year, right?

I don't even own NHL 14. You're the best at this.

Defense is more important than offense. Also, we need game changers right now or we will just waste the rest of Pav and Z's careers. Give up what you need to for 2 great dman and sign one real power forward. Buyout Franzen.

#863 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m) 
Daniel Alfredsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) 
Riley Sheahan ($1.000m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.000m) 
Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Ben Eager ($1.100m) 
Anthony Mantha ($0.894m) / 
DEFENSEMEN
Matt Niskanen ($4.000m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m) 
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) 
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.000m) 
Andrew Alberts ($1.000m) / 
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) 
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m) 
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,430,000; BONUSES: $195,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,670,000

#864 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

FORWARDS
Daniel Alfredsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) 
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) 
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) 
------

What happened? Nyquist and Howard are gone for nothing? If you aren't going to include them at least trade them in a package for a quality dman.

Neither Niskanen or Boyle are top pairing Dmen and do nothing to solve our problems. What do we do when Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko are ready? There is nowhere to play other than Boyle retiring potentially. 

Mantha up to be a spare forward? Unlikely.

Brodeur? Have you seen him this year - he has been pretty bad and regressed a lot. 

Helm in the top 6 as a winger? Very unlikely to happen considering we have other wingers better suited to that position.

Bolland isn't a first line player - he is a gritty 3C. 

Goc - the last thing we need is another bottom 6 C. Actually 2/3 of the players on each line is a natural C.

I understand you feel we need a big shakeup - but we shouldn't attempt to turn over half the team in one offseason composed mainly of UFA players that are likely going to be overpaid. You have some good thoughts about adding size to the lineup - which I agree with. I also think Kindl and Lashoff should not be in the top 6 next year and should be moved. I just think you went a little far in implementing these ideas. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#865 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

What happened? Nyquist and Howard are gone for nothing? If you aren't going to include them at least trade them in a package for a quality dman.

Neither Niskanen or Boyle are top pairing Dmen and do nothing to solve our problems. What do we do when Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko are ready? There is nowhere to play other than Boyle retiring potentially. 

Mantha up to be a spare forward? Unlikely.

Brodeur? Have you seen him this year - he has been pretty bad and regressed a lot. 

Helm in the top 6 as a winger? Very unlikely to happen considering we have other wingers better suited to that position.

Bolland isn't a first line player - he is a gritty 3C. 

Goc - the last thing we need is another bottom 6 C. Actually 2/3 of the players on each line is a natural C.

I understand you feel we need a big shakeup - but we shouldn't attempt to turn over half the team in one offseason composed mainly of UFA players that are likely going to be overpaid. You have some good thoughts about adding size to the lineup - which I agree with. I also think Kindl and Lashoff should not be in the top 6 next year and should be moved. I just think you went a little far in implementing these ideas. 

Dude, I don't know how to use capgeek that well. Haha. So yeah, we could get players for Nyquist and Howard. For sure.

Brodeur is the best goalie of all time, let him teach Petr for a season. Maybe he will be better in a new uniform. If nothing else, a great mentor.

Helm's speed is perfect for Dats and Jagr. I disagree with you there. Also, it's possible Helm just isn't a good center. Goc is tougher than our whole team. We need toughness. We should sign both those defenseman. Maybe Big E plays with Boyle and Matty plays with Kronwall. But we need to improve there. Also, if Sproul or Oullett are ready, they will find a spot on the team. The kids will get more ready by playing with solid veterans.

Edited by wings7, 28 April 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#866 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Dude, I don't know how to use capgeek that well. Haha. So yeah, we could get players for Nyquist and Howard. For sure.

Brodeur is the best goalie of all time, let him teach Petr for a season. Maybe he will be better in a new uniform. If nothing else, a great mentor.

Helm's speed is perfect for Dats and Jagr. I disagree with you there. Also, it's possible Helm just isn't a good center. Goc is tougher than our whole team. We need toughness. We should sign both those defenseman. Maybe Big E plays with Boyle and Matty plays with Kronwall. But we need to improve there. Also, if Sproul or Oullett are ready, they will find a spot on the team. The kids will get more ready by playing with solid veterans.

I agree with your thought process to a point. Time for some big moves. Yes that means taking.......RISKS! But we are not going to go out and turn over 50% of our roster in 1 year. No team does that.

As for some of your moves, no thanks. There are better options out there and some of your salaries are way off. Buyout Franzen-yes. No thanks on Alfie-he is done. Mrasek isn't ready and Broduer can't do it anymore. Howard is better than both right now. Not a fan of Boyle either. he is soft. Dekeyser will be making a lot more than 1 million next year. Somewhere in the 2.5 million range.

#867 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

I agree with your thought process to a point. Time for some big moves. Yes that means taking.......RISKS! But we are not going to go out and turn over 50% of our roster in 1 year. No team does that.

As for some of your moves, no thanks. There are better options out there and some of your salaries are way off. Buyout Franzen-yes. No thanks on Alfie-he is done. Mrasek isn't ready and Broduer can't do it anymore. Howard is better than both right now. Not a fan of Boyle either. he is soft. Dekeyser will be making a lot more than 1 million next year. Somewhere in the 2.5 million range.

That would be terrible GM-ing. After 1, ONE!, season you should not be making 2.5 million. Dekeyser looked very human against Boston. Let's not overreact on him yet. He could easily be the next Big E. It's easy to play well in your first partial NHL season when no one knows you and you have no pressure to do well...

We give people raises way too quickly. And then we wonder why we have a bad team. I can go either way with Alfie, but I think he can be a great signing if he isn't making too much. 

#868 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) 
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) 
------

Not sure if serious.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#869 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

That would be terrible GM-ing. After 1, ONE!, season you should not be making 2.5 million. Dekeyser looked very human against Boston. Let's not overreact on him yet. He could easily be the next Big E. It's easy to play well in your first partial NHL season when no one knows you and you have no pressure to do well...

We give people raises way too quickly. And then we wonder why we have a bad team. I can go either way with Alfie, but I think he can be a great signing if he isn't making too much. 

LOL

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) 
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) 
------

And this would be AWESOME GM-ing!!! :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#870 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

LOL

And this would be AWESOME GM-ing!!! :lol:

I'm not a GM. He is. I'm allowed to have fun on CapGeek.

Also, that roster is much improved. Borders on finishing 4-5 not 8-9. 

Plus we'd get another top player for trading Howard and Nyquist. Maybe a Yandle or someone.

I love people like you. Get all sarcastic and hide behind their computer. Mr. Tough Guy. Are you Tatar in disguise?

#871 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm not a GM. He is. I'm allowed to have fun on CapGeek.

Also, that roster is much improved. Borders on finishing 4-5 not 8-9. 

Plus we'd get another top player for trading Howard and Nyquist. Maybe a Yandle or someone.

I love people like you. Get all sarcastic and hide behind their computer. Mr. Tough Guy. Are you Tatar in disguise?

Yes, you've said that already.

Edited by rick zombo, 28 April 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#872 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m) 
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) 
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m) 
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m) 
------

Aside from all of the other true head scratchers of this "roster", a soon-to-be-and-declining 42 year old Marty Brodeur (currently making $4M per) @$6M?

Somebody needs to take CapGeek away from this fella....

#873 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

We signed an aging Hasek. He won us a Cup and helped Osgood redefine himself.

Why not let Petr learn from the best?

I was just having fun anyways. I don't think the Wings are going to let me GM (thank god) [burn!]

#874 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

As long as the people in the organization who matter get it, we'll be okay....

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...3#ixzz30C20gWZn

#875 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

You may not like it, but he will be in that area for his next contract which is this summer. He is a RFA. We have plenty of cap space. bad GMing would be to sign him to a 8 year 40 million contract like many teams do. Do a 3 year transition contract, which Holland gets a lot of credit for around the league.

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

yup. Add to it Babcocks coments about being a soft out, and yeah the streak means less and less. As always there is 1 champion and 29 first losers.

#876 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

At least Zetterberg gets it.  Looking to the future is good and all, but you've got to try to win now, not just sit and hope things work out in 5 years.  I hope the organization is tired of losing like Zetterberg says and is ready to make some aggressive (but smart) moves.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#877 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

That's an interseting quote for sure.

Other than the influx of Kronwall. Filpulla, and Hudler in 2006, which eventually lead to a cup in 2008, when have "we seen that before" during Zetterberg's time here. I love Zetterberg as much as the next guy/gal, and I get what he's trying to say, but this is the first big youth push we've had since 2006.

#878 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Zetterberg is a true leader he gets it as does Babcock. Building a winner to me is more important than a streak. That means no more short-term fixes and no heavily over the hill signings (Boyle, Jagr, Brodeur...) Times have changed and the model to follow now is the Boston model, Bans said it best they are what we were in 2008.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#879 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Zetterberg is a true leader he gets it as does Babcock. Building a winner to me is more important than a streak. That means no more short-term fixes and no heavily over the hill signings (Boyle, Jagr, Brodeur...) Times have changed and the model to follow now is the Boston model, Bans said it best they are what we were in 2008.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#880 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

I agree with this post.

However, I would take Boyle on a 1 year deal just to give the kids in GRs another year.

Also, I get really angry when Wings fans are jealous of Boston and want to build a team like that. We've recently had our time and they are having theirs now. In addition, they may be in the position we were in in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but the two teams are completely different.

I feel like some people who want the Wings to be bigger and more physical are using Boston's team as a self-serving example.

I'd rather have a young, highly skilled, hard working, super hungry team with a bit of grit (Drake, Stuart, McCarty) and two elite D-men, like the 2008 Red Wings team than have a team full of apes (Lucic and Chara) and hillbilly D-bags (Marchand). Personal preference I guess.

Edited by rick zombo, 28 April 2014 - 10:50 AM.