• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#901 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't think we're landing a big, physical scoring winger and a top-four defenseman in one summer. But if I were going to try to swing it, I'd realize that Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, and Smith - they're Wings for the long haul, and that's going to be an issue because Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman, and maybe Almqvist are all looking like they're going to be pretty good NHL defensemen. Package one or two of them along with one of Nyquist/Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco and a pick and/or a roster player or two (Andersson? Kindl? Lashoff?), and I think that winger or defenseman might be obtainable. Then make a splash in free agency for the other half, and there is your winger+dman double shot espresso.

THIS. Either we go balls to the walls to make a trade for someone worthwhile or we should promote the kids. Some fringe top 4 dman via free agency only makes things worse long term when our D prospects get poached when they run out of options. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#902 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Calgary is a team that was getting old all around, with absolutely no youth ready to come in because they either traded them all away or just flat out sucked at drafting. So please continue to tell me how the Wings relate to that. The team is loaded with young talent. They aren't gonna become impact NHL'ers over night. You, along with many, are wanting a knee jerk quick fix to get the team at the top of the league. Quick fixes do not work in the cap era. 

You know what? People might take the time to debate things with you like an adult if you didn't keep conducting yourself like a child in these forums. 

It seems you know nothing about Calgary then. Their 'core' were pretty young, their oldest core player was Kipper for a lot of years. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#903 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

It seems you know nothing about Calgary then. Their 'core' were pretty young, their oldest core player was Kipper for a lot of years. 

Their big problem was having zero depth in their prospect pool. It is not an issue the Wings have. You think the likes of Hank, Dats and Kronwall are gonna sit by and accept tanking a season?

#904 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Sorry you guys feel I am being rude. I feel like you guys are starting with me. Name calling when I bring up my ideas. I've apologized to St. John's once. This is a second time. (His apology count? Zero). 

Sorry for coming off like a child as you say. But when I just post my idea of a lineup and then it's ripped and I'm called names and what have you, I will retaliate. It's what makes online debating so great and awful at the same time. 

Don't act like you are being respectful but I am not. 

#905 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Well that's just plain wrong..  Conroy, Staios, Morrison and Langkow were all older than Kipper and Iginla, Jokinen, Sarich, Tanguay, and Regehr (among others) are right around the same age. Their core was not "young".

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#906 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

I get it, the Wings just got eliminated, emotions are running hot right now. Keep this thread on topic, do not resort to personal attacks or other similar remarks in attempt to get your point across. This is your only notification, any further derailing or insults thrown at each other, warnings and/or suspensions will be handed out. Keep it civil.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#907 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Well that's just plain wrong..  Conroy, Staios, Morrison and Langkow were all older than Kipper and Iginla, Jokinen, Sarich, Tanguay, and Regehr (among others) are right around the same age. Their core was not "young".

Exactly. They had that run to the finals, and they tried to squeeze every last bit they could out of that team for quite a few years following. On top of those aging vets, they had little to no depth in the prospect pool to develop. The Wings have the luxury of having loads of depth in the prospect pool. Along with having guys like Dats, Hank and Kronwall around for them to learn from. 

#908 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Exactly. They had that run to the finals, and they tried to squeeze every last bit they could out of that team for quite a few years following. On top of those aging vets, they had little to no depth in the prospect pool to develop. The Wings have the luxury of having loads of depth in the prospect pool. Along with having guys like Dats, Hank and Kronwall around for them to learn from. 

Lets see when this period began around 2008, their top three forwards were younger than Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Alfie. They also had Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Rene Bourque, etc who are all younger as as talented as analogous players on Detroit. And their prospect pool wasn't bad, it was full of the same type of players ours is currently full of: Boom/Bust prospects and few blue chip guys. The blue chip prospects they did have they would trade at the deadline for that 'one last piece' to get them into the dance. Sounds a lot like Detroit, doesn't it? 

Edited by Shaman, 28 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#909 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Most fans wouldn't have a problem reigning Alfie, and that's just fine, but at some point we have to stop signing 35+ year olds who are on the downside of their careers. Why not spend the 3-4 mil Alfie will cost on a younger version of him.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#910 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Lets see when this period began around 2008, their top three forwards were younger than Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Alfie. They also had Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Rene Bourque, etc who are all younger as as talented as analogous players on Detroit. And their prospect pool wasn't bad, it was full of the same type of players ours is currently full of: Boom/Bust prospects and few blue chip guys. The blue chip prospects they did have they would trade at the deadline for that 'one last piece' to get them into the dance. Sounds a lot like Detroit, doesn't it? 

Problem is, they didn't make it to the dance. This team is in sooooo much better shape than Calgary has been in years.

#911 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Problem is, they didn't make it to the dance. This team is in sooooo much better shape than Calgary has been in years.

No it's not, outside of Mantha there is no player that has a good chance or replacing Datsyuk or Zetterberg's production. Detroit is thin at center, and goaltending and they are still a little thin on blue chip defense prospects, Sproul and Ouellet both project to be top 4, but neither slot in as a #1. Calgary in 2008 was stronger than Detroit is today on defense and goaltending and defense. As for their prospect pool then compared to ours, I would say ours is only slightly stronger, and if Holland pulls another Legwand it will become a wash.

Edited by Shaman, 28 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#912 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

No it's not, outside of Mantha there is no player that has a good chance or replacing Datsyuk or Zetterberg's production. Detroit is thin at center, and goaltending and they are still a little thin on blue chip defense prospects, Sproul and Ouellet both project to be top 4, but neither slot in as a #1. Calgary in 2008 was stronger than Detroit is today on defense and goaltending and defense. As for their prospect pool then compared to ours, I would say ours is only slightly stronger, and if Holland pulls another Legwand it will become a wash.

You are looking at things from an absolute worst case scenario. There is enough youth in the system to keep the team competitive. More than enough. When the time is right and guys are far enough developed at the NHL level, the time will be right to make moves to add any missing pieces for a run. Tanking a season and losing our best players is not the answer. That would be becoming the Edmonton Oilers. 

I know people like to use Colorado as an example of why the Wings should tank. But Colorado had to suck for a long time to get where they are. Sucking for one year didn't get them there.

#913 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Most fans wouldn't have a problem reigning Alfie, and that's just fine, but at some point we have to stop signing 35+ year olds who are on the downside of their careers. Why not spend the 3-4 mil Alfie will cost on a younger version of him.

I don't agree with this logic.  Lots of people share your view, but having on old vet doesn't kill a team's chances to win anything.  I don't care if they sign a 40 year old vet every year, so long as the vet helps and they don't load up with them.  People get caught up in minor details like this and forget that winning a Cup is all about a holistic approach.

You don't win by having no 40 year olds, or all tough guys, or all big guys, or all skill guys.  You need a perfect balance.  And like Datsyuk said, nobody knows the magic balance.  You just keep trying to find it.  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#914 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

Well I sure as hell know what we don't need: A sniper for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, a solid puck-moving defenseman, a shutdown defenseman, a power forward for the top 6, and a physical 4th liner.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 28 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#915 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't agree with this logic.  Lots of people share your view, but having on old vet doesn't kill a team's chances to win anything.  I don't care if they sign a 40 year old vet every year, so long as the vet helps and they don't load up with them.  People get caught up in minor details like this and forget that winning a Cup is all about a holistic approach.

You don't win by having no 40 year olds, or all tough guys, or all big guys, or all skill guys.  You need a perfect balance.  And like Datsyuk said, nobody knows the magic balance.  You just keep trying to find it.  

Truth. I do hope Alfie sticks around. With the guys getting conditioned this summer, it would lead to a lot less stress next season as long as the right moves are made in July. Giving Alfie rest during the season (like on back to back games and what not) to have him ready for the playoffs would be huge. He is a leader and can still get it done when healthy. It also never hurts to have someone like him around to try and win it for.

#916 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Not at all what I said. Alfie is a 40 year that's just about done, he has to play with Pav or Z to contribute; if he's not on the top 2 lines he'll disappear-just like he did for much of the second half.

His Job was to shoot first pass later, yet most of the time he got the puck late in the season and into the playoffs, he would instead differ to other players to take the shot. Some of that may have been injury related, or his confidence was down, I just didn't like what I saw from him.  

But to your point; the league over time has seen plenty of 40 year old's that could still play with younger players and there have been some that have dominated into their 40's, but unfortunately Alfie is not one of them. Can he still play? Yes, but I don't have the same loyalty towards him that Sens fans would have towards him, so I'd prefer to move on. That being said I'm not blind to the circumstances, if he wants to continue to play; Holland will welcome him back. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#917 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

The streak is a joke. Over half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs (about 54% of teams), this isn't like the Atlanta Brave's streak of 14 years where one team per division makes the playoffs plus one wild card (26% of teams). I really don't get why people are so up their own asses about it.

You can keep saying this--you can even stomp your feet and hold your breath--but it won't change the ownership or Holland's minds. You opinion doesn't matter. Theirs does and the streak is clearly a priority to them.

Additionally, if the streak were such a joke, half of the teams in the NHL would have active twenty year streaks. That's what your math suggests, right?

#918 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

You can keep saying this--you can even stomp your feet and hold your breath--but it won't change the ownership or Holland's minds. You opinion doesn't matter. Theirs does and the streak is clearly a priority to them.

Additionally, if the streak were such a joke, half of the teams in the NHL would have active twenty year streaks. That's what your math suggests, right?

You do realize that 20 year playoff streaks have happened 7 times in NHL history, right? It's not that special.

And the Illitchs seem to be more concerned with the Tigers, as for Holland, his motto lately has been 'If you can't be successful, redefine what success is'. It use to be a season was a waste if they weren't making the conference finals, then it was a waste if they weren't contenders at least, now it's a waste if they don't eek into the playoffs.

Edited by Shaman, 28 April 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#919 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

This was my argument last year. Don't sign Alfie and have nyquist start in his spot from day one.

#920 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

You do realize that 20 year playoff streaks have happened 7 times in NHL history, right? It's not that special.

THE WINGS OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT THINK THE STREAK SPECIAL.

Repeat that 3 times and I'll bang my head on the desk for luck.