• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#981 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

The Wings have 2 directions they can go.  They can go all in, trade a bunch of youth for guys who will help them win now, and end up with a lot less future depth.  Or they can let the kids develop and Datsyuk and Zetterberg probably won't win another Cup in Detroit.  If they try to go halfway and do both, I think they're going to end up being stuck in the middle of the pack.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#982 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Spot on DD. TBH I don't care which we do. Pick one, be open and honest about it, and then go 100% in that direction.

#983 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

I would be legitimately happy if Holland did nothing else but sign Niskanen and let all the obvious free agents walk.  You can always fill needs at the deadline, but I'd be perfectly happy going into next season with...

Z-Dats-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Kronwall-Ericsson
Niskenen-Dekeyser
Smith-Quellet
Sproul/Marchenko

Edit:  Obviously the means trading Andersson, Kindl, and Lashoff for whatever you can get (not roster players).

Agreed. Although I'd also like a veteran 3rd line d man and alfie resigned, I'll be happy enough with your scenario.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#984 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

I would be legitimately happy if Holland did nothing else but sign Niskanen and let all the obvious free agents walk.  You can always fill needs at the deadline, but I'd be perfectly happy going into next season with...

Z-Dats-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Kronwall-Ericsson
Niskenen-Dekeyser
Smith-Quellet
Sproul/Marchenko

Edit:  Obviously the means trading Andersson, Kindl, and Lashoff for whatever you can get (not roster players).

I can't get behind this, if I have to sit through another year of Abby on the top line, I'm going to lose it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#985 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

I can't get behind this, if I have to sit through another year of Abby on the top line, I'm going to lose it.

I share you concern, but he's not going anywhere and at least Dats would have Zetterberg so it's not like he wouldn't have a quality winger.  I don't love Abby up there, but I don't see any realistic alternative either.  Plus, you can always make a trade later. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#986 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

I share you concern, but he's not going anywhere and at least Dats would have Zetterberg so it's not like he wouldn't have a quality winger.  I don't love Abby up there, but I don't see any realistic alternative either.  Plus, you can always make a trade later. 

Holmgren is known for awful trades, lets go after Simmonds lol

#987 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I see a team that went from in the course of 5 years, being one of the safest bets to be a presidents cup and Stanley Cup winner to being a team that analysts can make a case for them missing the playoffs, or being first round fodder. Barely making the playoffs, then being bounced in 5 games isn't success, it's mediocrity. I am tired of it, I am tired of watching Holland every year putting together a team then blaming the fates for it failing. For the last three years it's been 'well if only X would have or wouldn't have happened...' and 'You just need to make the dance then anything can happen', it's starting to become plainly obvious the problem isn't luck, it's philosophy  and it needs to change soon, or they will have multiple seasons where they don't make the dance. The Wings are not immune to the same ills that plague other teams, and I really don't want them to become like the Flames or Predators.

First off, Thank you for the civility in your argument.
I agree with you completely, but I think where we differ are the ways to go about it.
I want the wings to break the playoff streak, but I want to win cups during the remaining span.
I'd also love to be the first team to transition to the next era without needing to tank, or have a few first over all picks.
I take a lot of pride in the wings, and I'd take pride in these accomplishments.
But if we end up like the flames I'll be furious.

#988 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Holmgren is known for awful trades, lets go after Simmonds lol

It'll never work, Holmgren only makes shockingly poor decisions when 30 goal forwards are involved (Richards, Carter, Lecavalier, Van Riemsdyk).  Simmonds has only ever had 29.  To think, one more goal and Holmgren would probably have shipped him to Detroit for Daniel Alfredsson's youth. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#989 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

I think Shero will trade Letang instead of letting Niskenen go.

#990 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Sheahan would do better on the 1st line than Abby? He played pretty good in front of the net this season and has shown he has good hands. Obviously I'd rather have a guy like Vanek or Moulson on the top line, but if we strike out on FA then I would give Sheahan a look on the top line.

Plays like these make me very curious as to how he could do with Z and Dats.

I'd like to run this lineup a couple games just to see what happens. We know Nyquist and Franzen have shown good chemistry so that line could score some goals if Weiss can get healthy. A third line of Tatar-Helm-Jurco would be FAST. They could really change the pace of the game. 4th line is probably the best checking line we could do with our current roster. 

Z-Dats-Sheahan

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Jurco

Miller-Glendening-Abby

#991 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

you are all leaving out Almqvist, Callahan and Ferraro, who are ALL out of exemptions.  Glendening is also now out of exemptions by 1 game.  Trades ARE going to have to be made, so maybe there is a scenario that we make a nice deal at the draft for something we really need...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#992 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Sheahan would do better on the 1st line than Abby? He played pretty good in front of the net this season and has shown he has good hands. Obviously I'd rather have a guy like Vanek or Moulson on the top line, but if we strike out on FA then I would give Sheahan a look on the top line.

I'd like to run this lineup a couple games just to see what happens. We know Nyquist and Franzen have shown good chemistry so that line could score some goals if Weiss can get healthy. A third line of Tatar-Helm-Jurco would be FAST. They could really change the pace of the game. 4th line is probably the best checking line we could do with our current roster. 

Z-Dats-Sheahan
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Helm-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Abby

If we get NO free agents, and don't sign our own I think that's the best case scenario.
I'm less weary of putting sheahan on the wing than I am Weiss, but still.
I think we need to put the kids line back together.

#993 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I also fully believe that Mantha will get a SERIOUS look this September and 90% chance of making the team...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#994 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

AGREED. Sheahan is actually willing to play in front of the net and cycles really well with the puck - holds it well. Franzen doesn't go to the net much or work very hard and Abby doesn't possess the talent to keep up or contribute much to that line. If we had to move a C to wing to make room for Malykhin I think Sheahan would be a good option. I don't think Glendening is going to be a 4C on a cup winner - he should be a right wing with Helm. I think Mantha will likely make the team next year and take the wing with Z and Pavs though.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#995 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Here is a chart of our depth right now at each position (I included players I think will likely make the NHL at each position within the next 2 years). In order to manage our assets we have to think about what we will do with these players before they run out of options. Signing UFA's just bumps these kids down the chart so we definitely can make a trade for an impact player or two. Players in brackets are current roster players I don't think should be here next year.

LW                       C                    RW

Zetterberg           Datsyuk          Franzen

Tatar                    Weiss             Mantha

Abdelkader         Sheahan         Nyquist

Miller                   Helm              Jurco

Glendening     Pulkkinen

Ferraro            Callahan

(Andersson)

LD                RD

Kronwall       Marchenko

Ericsson       Sproul

Dekeyser

Smith

Ouellet

Backman

Almquist

(Kindl)

(Lashoff)

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#996 trule23

trule23

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I don't think Mantha will be on the team next year. Holland will keep with GR at least one year. called up occasionally maybe but that's it.

#997 trule23

trule23

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

We shouldn't rush Mantha into the NHL, he isn't ready just yet. NHL level hockey is a lot more than that of the QMJHL. Put him in the NHL now and it will ruin his confidence

#998 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Whether manthas ready or not.
We have the most skilled rws.

#999 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

I think Shero will trade Letang instead of letting Niskenen go.

Anyone who's watched the playoffs and is willing to pick up Letang's contract has no business being an NHL General Manager.  But I'm sure he'll try. 

#1000 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Oh yeah Abby is here to stay, I'm just hoping that Holland goes out and signs Moulson or Vanek- I know wishful thinking- and Abby moves to the bottom six where he would do the most good.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen