• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1181 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

I just want to point out that Ouellet isn't like most Dmen. Babs said it himself that Ouellet always makes the right play. He isn't going to have very many growing pains or rookie mistakes from everything we have seen so far. He is very poised out there and actually played physical against Boston too in front of the net and along the boards (actually afraid he would be penalized). Its not the end of the world to pair him with someone who isn't a vet dman. I don't think pairing him with Marchenko or Dekeyser would really make a difference.

Ya saw a tweet about ouellet being his regular reliable self tonight as always and I heard backman dove on empty net shot attempt to prevent a goal

I'm really optimistic about our future d

#1182 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

People hate Franzen because he's lazy and immensely streaky and way past his prime and he's had several concussions and we're stuck with him until the end of time and he's a huge body but plays like he's 5'4 and we need him to be a leader more than ever but he was completely invisible in the playoffs and if he's not scoring he's really not adding much that someone else couldn't add and he says things like "We need more joy" and Hossa.

I wish Holland kept his mouth shut about buying out Tootoo. We really should have waited to see what Mantha can do in camp and then if he can make the jump just buyout or trade Franzen. If we can replace his size with Mantha we are good going forward in the long term with a younger, cheaper, and harder working player. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1183 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

I wish Holland kept his mouth shut about buying out Tootoo. We really should have waited to see what Mantha can do in camp and then if he can make the jump just buyout or trade Franzen. If we can replace his size with Mantha we are good going forward in the long term with a younger, cheaper, and harder working player. 

The buyout time ends in July I believe. But I could be wrong.

#1184 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

The buyout time ends in July I believe. But I could be wrong.

Ah I forgot about that. Well at least it overlaps with Free agency. So if we can make a run at a moulson or vanek then holland should at least CONSIDER using the buyout on franzen for long term purposes and his gradual decline. 

#1185 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Ah I forgot about that. Well at least it overlaps with Free agency. So if we can make a run at a moulson or vanek then holland should at least CONSIDER using the buyout on franzen for long term purposes and his gradual decline. 

I completely agree. You know I'm on the buyout Franzen side. It's just another way holland is going about something that's so simple in the wrong way.

#1186 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

If I recall correctly the buyout period ended two or three days before free agency last year.  I don't know if it will be the same this year though. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1187 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Maybe I should look this up before I start mass confusion. 

#1188 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Just looked it up:

The buyout period typically begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on June 30. In 2013, it begins 48 hours after the Final ends and it concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.

That's from capgeek. For last year obviously so I'd assume it's close to the same for this year.

Edited by DeGraa55, 02 May 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#1189 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Never mind. There is no overlap: "The buyout window slams shut for good at 5 p.m. ET on June 30. Bought-out players become unrestricted free agents and can sign with a new club on July 1."

http://www.sportsnet...n-what-we-know/

Edited by dirtydangles, 02 May 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#1190 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

This is my hypothetical version of what I'd love to see:

2014 1st Round Pick

2015 3rd Round Pick

Thomas Tatar

Xavier Ouellet

Johan Franzen

Jakub Kindl

Joakim Andersson

for

Tyler Myers

Chris Stewart

2014 2nd Round Pick (I'd do the trade even if they aren't willing to give us this pick)

Thoughts? Too much to give? Not enough to receive? Horrible idea? Great idea that perfectly fills ours needs? ...... personally, I think it's the perfect two pieces that could be obtainable. The other perfect team to make a similar trade with if this wouldn't work is with Winnipeg... Bogosian and Kane. But I feel as if that would cost us more than the trade I proposed. Also, I apologize for making such a huge post! 

TL;DR

Make a blockbuster with Buffalo that would give us Chris Stewart and Tyler Myers. Two young right-handed players whom are oozing with potential. In my opinion, it perfectly fills our two biggest needs. 

Are you insane? Did you not see what happened when Jarnkrok was traded? Now you want to give up Tatar, Ouellet, a 1st, and Franzen(we are all frustrated with him, but come on)? If that happened LGW will be forced to shut down, and I like coming here. 

P.S. Didn't mean to get on you, but come on calling that an over-payment is putting it mildly.

Edited by wings87, 03 May 2014 - 11:14 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1191 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

sign vanek, downie, callahan and tallinder.

vanek brings scoring. downie is a 30 pointer with tougness. callahan is a 50-60 pointer who also gives us physical play. tallinder is a good gritty veteran.

give legwand A REAL shoot.

callahan - datsuyk - vanek

zetterberg - legwand - nyqvist

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

Edited by matemate, 03 May 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#1192 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

vanek brings scoring. downie is a 30 pointer with tougness. callahan is a 50-60 pointer who also gives us physical play. tallinder is a good gritty veteran.

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

For those who want Franzen gone, Vanek is not the answer. 

#1193 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

jurco - sheahan - tatar
downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith
niskanen - dekeyser
ericsson - tallinder

I really like Callahan. But I don't the wings can sign all those players. I'm also a vanek fan but I'm sure he will get too much money so I'd prolly say no to him :(

#1194 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

jurco - sheahan - tatar
downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith
niskanen - dekeyser
ericsson - tallinder

You're forgetting to include Weiss a guy that costs about 5 mil a year and has 4 years left on his contract. I really don't want Legwand back, if he was an actual asset he would have been playing top 6 minutes in the playoffs and not rotting on the wing on line 3.

For those who want Franzen gone, Vanek is not the answer.

He might not be the perfect answer, as he does tend to float, but the guy knows how to hit the back of the net. My biggest frustration with the Wings offensively is that they have no aim, which leads to unfinished scoring chances. I don't think I've even seen a team miss the net as much as the current team does.

On a side note I think Moulson would be the better choice.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1195 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I just realized we're not getting that awesome top-four defenseman. Certainly not Matt Niskanen.

Think about it.

Fischer has now gone on record saying we have, like, 107 NHL-level D prospects. That they're all amazing, and, seriously, he just can't begin to tell you how amazing they all are.

Holland has gone on record saying the usual stuff he says about everything.

Even if we move Kindl and Lashoff and let Quincey walk, that's still only two spots up for grabs. You don't think we're gonna use this year to get a sense of what we really have on the farm? You think we're gonna outbid 25 other teams for Niskanen's services and leave all of one spot open for the kids to fight over? Does that really sound like something that's gonna happen?

Not that I like what I'm saying. But I'm trying to be realistic.

This also applies to the big scoring winger thing. Who, besides maybe Dustin Penner (because he should come dirt cheap), do we actually have a realistic shot at? None of the better free agents, because we don't do bidding wars. A trade? Well, it'd have to be a big trade, otherwise we'd just go with what we have. But if it's a big trade, that means we're moving a young gun and a top prospect and a pick and probably more. Really? Ken Holland's going to do that?

If we can at least sign Benoit Pouliot, I'll be really happy. Such are my expectations.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1196 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Man niskanen just made a brutal mistake and went to the corner and left Richards alone

2-0 ny lol love it ... f*** the pens

Thank God B.Smith has never made a mistake like that...

#1197 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

This thread needs more Steve Downie.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#1198 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

I just realized we're not getting that awesome top-four defenseman. Certainly not Matt Niskanen.

Think about it.

Fischer has now gone on record saying we have, like, 107 NHL-level D prospects. That they're all amazing, and, seriously, he just can't begin to tell you how amazing they all are.

Holland has gone on record saying the usual stuff he says about everything.

Even if we move Kindl and Lashoff and let Quincey walk, that's still only two spots up for grabs. You don't think we're gonna use this year to get a sense of what we really have on the farm? You think we're gonna outbid 25 other teams for Niskanen's services and leave all of one spot open for the kids to fight over? Does that really sound like something that's gonna happen?

Not that I like what I'm saying. But I'm trying to be realistic.

This also applies to the big scoring winger thing. Who, besides maybe Dustin Penner (because he should come dirt cheap), do we actually have a realistic shot at? None of the better free agents, because we don't do bidding wars. A trade? Well, it'd have to be a big trade, otherwise we'd just go with what we have. But if it's a big trade, that means we're moving a young gun and a top prospect and a pick and probably more. Really? Ken Holland's going to do that?

If we can at least sign Benoit Pouliot, I'll be really happy. Such are my expectations.

If we swap Q and Lashoff with XO and Marchenko, we'll see a difference.  Both are steady Dmen that make a good 1st pass.  Q's 1st pass is usually to the other team, and Lashoff was exposed badly this season when he had to play more minutes.  I still think that Ouellet is our best D prospect overall.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#1199 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

If we swap Q and Lashoff with XO and Marchenko, we'll see a difference.  Both are steady Dmen that make a good 1st pass.  Q's 1st pass is usually to the other team, and Lashoff was exposed badly this season when he had to play more minutes.  I still think that Ouellet is our best D prospect overall.

I don't mean to diss what we've got on the farm. I just want that top-four guy, who we should've added the moment Lids said goodbye but has instead been put off because something something you can't replace Nick Lidstrom something something there's no hockey store something something a trade requires two teams something something we're not going to move top prospects something something Colaiacovo Quincey something something DeKeyser is lost forever with a broken finger something something Ericsson is lost forever with a broken finger something something...

Edited by Dabura, 05 May 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1200 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

The back-end really needs to generate more offense. After Kronwall, there's just such a big drop off in point totals. While I'm all for the youth movement, I want to see DeKeyser paired with a right-handed veteran who can put up some points - or Derek Morris as a fallback option. I really think you'd see some higher point totals with something along the lines of Kronwall-Smith, DeKeyser-Niskanen/Boyle and Ericsson-Sproul/Marchenko.

I just think it's too much to throw two younger guys in at once. There needs to be some stability for Smith and DK for them to develop a little more, IMO.