2594 replies to this topic

#1221 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

read some of the threads and you'll reconsider

I've read plenty, thanks. Like I said there are some posts that are bonkers, but most are well thought out.

Edited by wings87, 05 May 2014 - 11:03 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1222 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:41 AM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-???(Ericsson)
Nyquist-Weiss-???(Smith)
Tatar-Shehan-Jurco
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader
Miller/Callahan

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Quincey-Marchenko
Ouelette-Sproul
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Ideally, I'd like to see the Wings add 2 big guys with speed and toughness to fill the 1st and 2nd line holes. But maybe they can slide a couple bigger dmen up since there seems to be a log jam on the blue line.

#1223 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

Nyquist-Weiss-???(Smith)
Tatar-Shehan-Jurco
Miller/Callahan

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Quincey-Marchenko
Ouelette-Sproul
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Ideally, I'd like to see the Wings add 2 big guys with speed and toughness to fill the 1st and 2nd line holes. But maybe they can slide a couple bigger dmen up since there seems to be a log jam on the blue line.

Are you serious????

#1224 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Are you serious????

Don't feed the troll.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1225 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Dear Kenny,

Pretty much anyone in the Freeway Series series would be a good add for the Red Wings. Non pipe dream possibilities include Devante Smith-Pelly and Alec Martinez. Also, because I know you're into this kind of thing, Jonas Hiller will be a free agent on the wrong side of 30 looking for a fresh start because of some meddling kids. Mrazek 1A, Hiller 1B (if he's willing), Howard to Winnipeg?

Edited by Dabura, 06 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1226 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Nyquist-Weiss-???(Smith)
Tatar-Shehan-Jurco
Miller/Callahan

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Quincey-Marchenko
Ouelette-Sproul
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

I actually like your thinking here.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1227 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

I've read plenty, thanks. Like I said there are some posts that are bonkers, but most are well thought out.

95% are crazy

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 06 May 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#1228 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Lazy who scores 50 goals..which scoring is this teams biggest need

well no s*** i would want him but if we are going to trade for players that are the best in the league how about backes, weber, stamkos, giroux.

ovi at 10 million, -35  +/-. i can think of ten guys id rather have.

#1229 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'm not making excuses for Ovechkin, I think he is pretty lazy defensively, but look at the big picture. We need goals, he scores a lot of them. Our PP is pretty much awful, Ovechkin is a PP monster, also accounting for his plus minus as a lot of his goals come on the PP and don't count as a +1 or else that area of his stats would look much better. Ovechkin hits, a lot, we need a strong physical presence that will throw the body around and threaten the opposition. He's a scoring winger, a need most of us have claimed we are in desperate need of for a few seasons now. 

Ovechkin would land in my top 3 of guys i'd want to come play here, I think he would thrive and his production and overall value vastly outweighs his lack of defensive play.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#1230 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

I'm not making excuses for Ovechkin, I think he is pretty lazy defensively, but look at the big picture. We need goals, he scores a lot of them. Our PP is pretty much awful, Ovechkin is a PP monster, also accounting for his plus minus as a lot of his goals come on the PP and don't count as a +1 or else that area of his stats would look much better. Ovechkin hits, a lot, we need a strong physical presence that will throw the body around and threaten the opposition. He's a scoring winger, a need most of us have claimed we are in desperate need of for a few seasons now. 

Ovechkin would land in my top 3 of guys i'd want to come play here, I think he would thrive and his production and overall value vastly outweighs his lack of defensive play.

Dude whatever.  Ovie sucks.  No way could some bum, who doesn't play defense, is notoriously selfish, and and only stands around looking for the one-timer, help us.  Even if he's good on the PP.

Wait...what's that?...You've got a picture for me...oh.  FML. 

brett-hull-with-the-2002-stanley-cup-10-

Edited by kipwinger, 06 May 2014 - 12:50 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#1231 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hull was pre-cap. And he was a complimentary player. Back then you could pay a 4th line winger 5M and only have to answer to Mr. Illitch. Remember the year that Detroit was paying something like 12M on goalies alone (with Cujo + Hasek + Legace)?

Today, if you're going to tie 1/8 of your team's salary to just one player, he better have at least some sort of pulse when he's on the "other" side of center ice. I don't care how many goals he can score.

Pre-cap? Give me Ovechkin any day of the week. Hell, I'll take two.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1232 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

I actually like your thinking here.

I'm not saying that I don't want to see the Wings add Lucic, Simmonds, and Carter in the off-season. I'm just working with what we have. The UFA pool doesn't seemed to be stocked too well with big tough wingers who can score, so the next best thing is big tough wingers. We've got a few guys with speed and size on D who have played wing in the past, as well as a logjam of young defensemen who are NHL ready. If we can lure Stamkos over from Tampa Bay for prospects and picks, I'm 100% for it. But I'm a realist. The 2 holes we have are going to cost more than we have to fill properly. So what's the next best alternative?

#1233 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

well no s*** i would want him but if we are going to trade for players that are the best in the league how about backes, weber, stamkos, giroux.
ovi at 10 million, -35  +/-. i can think of ten guys id rather have.

Datsyuk...Zetterberg ...and Ovechkin...you have to give up something to get something and besides, Ovechkin may become available where everyone on your list with the exception of maybe Weber won't be available

#1234 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Moving one of our best defensemen and another who may be one of our best, neither of whom is particularly tough, to forward, replacing one of our best scorers and a potentially good UFA, then filling the defensive holes with Q and 3 rookies is not, I think, what any sane person would consider the next best alternative. Not even in the top 50 best alternatives. In fact, I can't think of a whole lot of worse alternatives that don't involve acts of terrorism.

#1235 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Moving one of our best defensemen and another who may be one of our best, neither of whom is particularly tough, to forward, replacing one of our best scorers and a potentially good UFA, then filling the defensive holes with Q and 3 rookies is not, I think, what any sane person would consider the next best alternative. Not even in the top 50 best alternatives. In fact, I can't think of a whole lot of worse alternatives that don't involve acts of terrorism.

I'm fairly sure that this guy is the same troll who frequents Mlive.  There's a guy over there who constantly rants about getting Ovechkin and moving Ericsson and Smith to forward.  It's super clever. 

#1236 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Moving one of our best defensemen and another who may be best, neither of whom is particularly tough, to forward, replacing one of our best scorers and a potentially good UFA,

then filling the defensive holes with Q and 3 rookies is not, I think, what any sane person would consider the next best alternative. Not even in the top 50 best alternatives. In fact, I can't think of a whole lot of worse alternatives that don't involve acts of terrorism.

I forgot Franzen, and that's a big issue. Smith and Ericsson have played forward before, so that isn't as big a stretch. For me, resigning aging veterans (Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, etc.) When they are on the decline falls into the "outside of the 50 best aLternatives" box. But that happened. So Im all ears for better ideas. Who do you think we could get?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-???
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Shehan-Jurco
Miller-Calahan

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Smith
Ouelette-Marchenko
Sproul

Id like To keep Quincey and Kindl as trade bait for that top line forward.

#1237 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I forgot Franzen, and that's a big issue. Smith and Ericsson have played forward before, so that isn't as big a stretch. For me, resigning aging veterans (Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, etc.) When they are on the decline falls into the "outside of the 50 best aLternatives" box. But that happened. So Im all ears for better ideas. Who do you think we could get?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-???
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Shehan-Jurco
Miller-Calahan

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Smith
Ouelette-Marchenko
Sproul

Id like To keep Quincey and Kindl as trade bait for that top line forward.

There's several actual wingers that could possibly make it to free agency this year.
Gaborik
jokinen
Setoguchi
Vanek
Moulson
Cammalleri
Vrbata
Hemsky
Callahan
Even stastny could be signed if he makes it to free agency (although he is a center). No need to move defensemen up, even if they have played wing before

Edited by wingsfan4795, 06 May 2014 - 04:33 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#1238 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

I'm fairly sure that this guy is the same troll who frequents Mlive.  There's a guy over there who constantly rants about getting Ovechkin and moving Ericsson and Smith to forward.  It's super clever. 

Im letting your insults go for now. Next one i report to site host/moderator. Its not acceptable per forum guidelines, which I have read.

Thank you for your understanding, kipwinger.

#1239 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

all joking apart, Ovie could actually be in play. God knows what it'd take to get Ovie thou, although I'm not sure it'd be a good idea.

my choice would be to try and get Vanek as the top 6 guy.

then i'd beef up the fourth line with either Marcus Foligno

or Zack Kassian (both ideally) then add a cheeky contract

offer to Justin Shultz for the D. Pick up Matt Greene as the 

vet exp on the D.

Vanek  Datsyuk  Nyqvist

Zetterberg  Weiss Franzen

Abdelkader  Helm  Tatar

Kassian  Sheanhan  Foligno

Miller Glendening Jurco

Kronwall  Schultz

DeKeyser  Smith

Ericsson  Marchenko

Greene

Howard  Gustavsson.

All ufa's let go bar Monster. 

Trade or waive Lashoff, Kindl Andersson in any deals that we can.

Jurco and Glendening could go back to GR if need be.

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 06 May 2014 - 04:57 PM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1240 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

There's several actual wingers that could possibly make it to free agency this year.
Gaborik
jokinen
Setoguchi
Vanek
Moulson
Cammalleri
Vrbata
Hemsky
Callahan
Even stastny could be signed if he makes it to free agency (although he is a center). No need to move defensemen up, even if they have played wing before

I like this list for skilled winger side. But we have those covered. We need the Shanahan type of winger side. And Abdelkader and his 26 pts a season is NOT the answer.