• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1241 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I like this list for skilled winger side. But we have those covered. We need the Shanahan type of winger side. And Abdelkader and his 26 pts a season is NOT the answer.

Skilled wingers still fill the holes better than defensemen do
And Callahan would fill the need for a physical winger

Plus I think we need a scorer more than we need a big winger

Edited by wingsfan4795, 06 May 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#1242 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Skilled wingers still fill the holes better than defensemen do
And Callahan would fill the need for a physical winger

Plus I think we need a scorer more than we need a big winger

Vanek should be our target then, right?

#1243 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Vanek should be our target then, right?

Good God no.  Vanek isn't worth close to what he's going to get on the market.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1244 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

My tops would be Gaborik, Callahan, moulson and stastny. Unfortunately, I think Gaborik and Stastny won't hit the market and Callahan and Moulson will cost a fortune

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#1245 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

My tops would be Gaborik, Callahan, moulson and stastny. Unfortunately, I think Gaborik and Stastny won't hit the market and Callahan and Moulson will cost a fortune

So would it be better to resign Quincey and package him with Kindl and a pick(s) for a top notch 2015 UFA come february/march?

#1246 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Buddy, you're going to have to have some thicker skin to succeed on this forum. Just a friendly suggestion.

I've been reading this forum for so long I forgot troll was an insult.

Back pn topic, if we get a great puck moving dman or scoring increases and we don't need a scoring winner as much. Top 4 puck mover is our biggest need.

Edited by nawein, 06 May 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#1247 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I've been reading this forum for so long I forgot troll was an insult.

Back pn topic, if we get a great puck moving dman or scoring increases and we don't need a scoring winner as much. Top 4 puck mover is our biggest need.

There aren't too many puck movers available. Also, Babcock and Holland both said there will be a youth movement on D this year, so I think there may not be any major signings

Edited by wingsfan4795, 06 May 2014 - 05:58 PM.

-Buppy

#1248 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

There aren't too many puck movers available. Also, Babcock and Holland both said there will be a youth movement on D this year, so I think there may not be any major signings

Does this mean Quincey, Kindl, and Lashoff are out?

#1249 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Quincey yes.  LAshoff is fine as #7.  IDK what to think about Kindl.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1250 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'm not Holland. If it were my choice I would dump them all except maybe Quincey (if he would be willing to take a pay cut, which probably won't happen).

As far as puck movers go, I would take Niskanen if he could be had at a reasonable price (he can't) or Boyle if he would take a 1-2 year deal

I would have no problem with holland replacing Quincey, kindl and lashoff with sproul, ouellette and Marchenko

Edited by wingsfan4795, 06 May 2014 - 06:22 PM.

-Buppy

#1251 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Just saying with the amount of times Holland and Babs talked about the need for a RH shot on defense I doubt we don't sign no one. We have some good prospects in the waiting but I still think they will hold them back one more year. 

#1252 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Just saying with the amount of times Holland and Babs talked about the need for a RH shot on defense I doubt we don't sign no one. We have some good prospects in the waiting but I still think they will hold them back one more year. 

Maybe, but I thought sproul looked like an improvement over kindl and lashoff when he played, and he is right handed.
I would be happy if they sign a good RH defenseman, but I wouldn't be too upset if they hold on to what they have

-Buppy

#1253 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Maybe, but I thought sproul looked like an improvement over kindl and lashoff when he played, and he is right handed.
I would be happy if they sign a good RH defenseman, but I wouldn't be too upset if they hold on to what they have

I don't disagree that Sproul looked very good for his age. But they are looking for someone on the PP and a top 2 dman. If Holland doesn't land anyone I can see Sproul getting some looks but I doubt you will see him on the PP next year. 

#1254 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

I don't disagree that Sproul looked very good for his age. But they are looking for someone on the PP and a top 2 dman. If Holland doesn't land anyone I can see Sproul getting some looks but I doubt you will see him on the PP next year. 

I know they're going to look to improve the D through trade or free agency. I just don't know if there will be enough available that holland will bite on.
What would you think about getting into a bidding war over Niskanen? In my opinion he is overrated. His recent hot streak and the lack of depth in the UFA pool will cause GMs to grossly overpay.
I would happily take him at 4-4.5 mill max but I doubt he'll be that cheap

-Buppy

#1255 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

What is everyone's thoughts on gaborik? Really playing well for la right now. Has a lot of speed and a nice shot
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#1256 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

That is far too small of a sample size to go on. Remember how amazing E looked in his first call up? Then boom, 3 years of struggling before he started to get it right. 

#1257 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

That is far too small of a sample size to go on. Remember how amazing E looked in his first call up? Then boom, 3 years of struggling before he started to get it right. 

I'm not saying I would rather have him than one of the free agents, I just wouldn't be upset if they gave him a shot. Everyone has to get their start sometime

-Buppy

#1258 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm not saying I would rather have him than one of the free agents, I just wouldn't be upset if they gave him a shot. Everyone has to get their start sometime

Oh for sure. Just trying to keep expectations in check when it comes to Sproul automatically being an improvement over Kindl and Lashoff is all lol. I have no doubt that will end up being the case.  I just figure it may very well take some time.

#1259 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Oh for sure. Just trying to keep expectations in check when it comes to Sproul automatically being an improvement over Kindl and Lashoff is all lol. I have no doubt that will end up being the case.  I just figure it may very well take some time.

Even if he isn't an instant improvement, at least he can move the puck and create offense. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations, but I understand the concern considering the mentality of other posters

-Buppy

#1260 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Even if he isn't an instant improvement, at least he can move the puck and create offense. I don't think I have unrealistic expectations, but I understand the concern considering the mentality of other posters

If all else fails, disney.com