• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1421 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

I can see Tatar packaged for Buff and than Kenny going after Niskanen/Boyle, so it will give us something like :

Z - Dats - *Buff*

Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist

Jurco - She - Pulks

Abdelkader - Helm - Callahan/LG

Kronwall - Smith

DeKe - Niskanen/Boyle

E - Ouellete/Marchenko

You "can" see it, or you "want to" see it.  Because moving a smallish european skilled player for Dustin Byfuglien isn't the kind of move Holland would make at all.  I don't know why you'd think that was a probable roster move, regardless of how you felt about it personally. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1422 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

If the defense improves I can definitely see us being contenders. You guys forget that we are also getting back a healthy Stephen Weiss. Guys gonnabe good for around 50 points. I really think that mantha should be on this team riding shotgun withd and z. Add Boyle, zidlicky, or niskanen and I can see us getting out of the easy for sure

#1423 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

why do some want Boyle? the guy is on the decline, he posted the worst +- on the Sharks D last year he'll be 38 by the start of the 

coming season and there's a reason that San Jose are letting him go, so why take on other teams not wanted?

Niskanen has had 2 good season's in his NHL stint. His first year in Dallas and his last one in Pittsburgh, which happens to be his contract year.

He's a R/H shot and fairly young at 27 with almost 500 reg games under his belt. He is not the #1 guy that the Wings seek. Id say a #2/3 at the 

most and we have those within the organisation.

Trading is the only way we'll get a #1 D guy this year and next years (2015) UFA list doesn't offer much either. I doubt very much that Kenny will

be looking at a trade for a big name player, but the guys that he should look at Weber, Keith, Pietrangelo, etc will be too dear for him. 

A vet player thats an upgrade on Quincey would be the way to go on a year maybe 2 at max deal and let the rookie's fight it out for the 6/7

spots. Id have no problem letting Marchenko come up full time.

UFA's:  Tom Gilbert, Nikita Nikitin, Anton Stralman, and maybe Ron Hainsey would be 

Kronwall DeKeyser

Smith Nikitin

Ericsson Marchenko

Kindl/Lashoff whoever isnt traded.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1424 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

why do some want Boyle? the guy is on the decline, he posted the worst +- on the Sharks D last year he'll be 38 by the start of the 

coming season and there's a reason that San Jose are letting him go, so why take on other teams not wanted?

Niskanen has had 2 good season's in his NHL stint. His first year in Dallas and his last one in Pittsburgh, which happens to be his contract year.

He's a R/H shot and fairly young at 27 with almost 500 reg games under his belt. He is not the #1 guy that the Wings seek. Id say a #2/3 at the 

most and we have those within the organisation.

Trading is the only way we'll get a #1 D guy this year and next years (2015) UFA list doesn't offer much either. I doubt very much that Kenny will

be looking at a trade for a big name player, but the guys that he should look at Weber, Keith, Pietrangelo, etc will be too dear for him. 

A vet player thats an upgrade on Quincey would be the way to go on a year maybe 2 at max deal and let the rookie's fight it out for the 6/7

spots. Id have no problem letting Marchenko come up full time.

UFA's:  Tom Gilbert, Nikita Nikitin, Anton Stralman, and maybe Ron Hainsey would be 

Kronwall DeKeyser

Smith Nikitin

Ericsson Marchenko

Kindl/Lashoff whoever isnt traded.

You don't want Boyle, who in his worst year he still had more points than any of those guys at the bottom have ever had in their careers. Other than maybe Gilbert I wouldn't want any of those guys. Stralman has never played a full season and only came close once. The other guys don't put up much for points either. I'd rather go with kids if we're gonna have stats that low, at least they'd be cheaper. I just don't see how any of those guys would make us a better team. Niskanen may not be a number one but I'd rather have a bunch of 2's and 3's than a bunch of 3's and 4's. 

#1425 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

You "can" see it, or you "want to" see it.  Because moving a smallish european skilled player for Dustin Byfuglien isn't the kind of move Holland would make at all.  I don't know why you'd think that was a probable roster move, regardless of how you felt about it personally. 

Kenny already traded high prospect in Jarnkrok for nothing... right?

Kenny offered Nyquist, Smith and 1st (Mantha) for Edler... right?

Now regarding Buff it's been speculated over a year that he's available. Khan, Savage and Puckdaddy identified him as a potential target since he can play Def and Forward.

I don't think that Nyquist will be traded, they seems to like Pulks... but again it's my opinion and if you don't agree it's fine...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#1426 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

When it comes to big names on the market we have...

Nyquist

Mantha

Tatar

Jurco

Sheahan

Backman

Sproul

Ouellet

Mrazek

Pulkkinen

Marchenko

Athanasiou

Callahan

Think we should pursue any of those guys? that's only like 13 players that could probably step in and half ass Niskanen or Alfredsson's job at a fraction of the price. Screw it sign Niskanen and Iginla and let those losers walk 

#1427 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

I would package Nyquist in a trade for a proven sniper. Nyquist's stock is as high as it's ever going to be and although I think he is a good player, I don't see him sustaining his scoring like he did on his goal streak.

#1428 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Carefull Dat, you just painted a target on yourself. How dare you point out and say those things about Nyquist........

#1429 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yep Nyquist is 25 after all, he is clearly not going to get any better...

#1430 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

So you want the goal reviewed for goalie interference, but you miss the holding/hooking call that leads to the penalty shot for Nyquist?

There's no distinct kicking motion. (...of goaltender) The call on the ice stands.

The penalty shot doesn't automatically = goal.  The running of the skate into the goalie's skate- in his crease- directly led to a goal.  It doesn't need to be a kicking motion to be goaltender interference? Where'd you learn that interpretation of the rule?

#1431 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Carefull Dat, you just painted a target on yourself. How dare you point out and say those things about Nyquist........

I'm not saying Nyquist isn't a really good player and it's a risk trading him but how many people would have liked the Wings to trade the mule when his stock was high.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 18 May 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#1432 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

We can't be a talent factory for other teams.

And as for Nyquist not scoring as much as during his streak, he doesn't need to... during that time he was almost a goal a game player, that's something no one in this entire league is, if he scores half or even a third of that he'll stil be a great player for us.

Edited by Ekmanc, 18 May 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#1433 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I don't think many, if any, NHL GMs are going to base Nyquist's value on his hot streak. I doubt anyone really expects him to be a 40+ goal scorer, or 30+ even. I think if he scores 20+g, 50+p next year it would raise his value. And if he were to sign a new deal at a good hit, say 4 yrs @ <=$3M/yr, it would raise even further.

#1434 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

I don't think many, if any, NHL GMs are going to base Nyquist's value on his hot streak. I doubt anyone really expects him to be a 40+ goal scorer, or 30+ even. I think if he scores 20+g, 50+p next year it would raise his value. And if he were to sign a new deal at a good hit, say 4 yrs @ <=$3M/yr, it would raise even further.

I agree with that I think if he can reach 20 - 25 goals that would be great, expectations are already through the roof for him and just because of one hot streak (every player goes through that)

If we could get a legit top pairing defenseman for him I'd do that trade everytime.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#1435 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

A lot of the Wings needs, are already kind of filled.  If we let these young guys grow, the holes in our roster will slowly melt away.  Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, DeKeyser need to be untouchable right now.  They'll get better and better each year and the need for a goal scoring snipers, two way shutdown forwards and solid two way defensive men will go away without having to overpay for some name on the free agent market.

I think Holland will do what he's been doing, use cap space to lock up young guns and pick up some players that can fit into our system at a good price.  While in the past this strategy has annoyed me, we're no longer in the "win now" way of thinking, which is unfortunate for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but its what's best for the long term success of the franchise.

I think if Holland stays the course, we'll be a strong Cup contender in 2-3 years.  The young guys have given me hope and showed a lot more quicker than I expected.  Granted it was only a couple hockey analysts, but hearing people mention Nyquist's name for the Hart is very promising.

#1436 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

The penalty shot doesn't automatically = goal.  The running of the skate into the goalie's skate- in his crease- directly led to a goal.  It doesn't need to be a kicking motion to be goaltender interference? Where'd you learn that interpretation of the rule?

Let me break it down for you.

1. Never stated that a penalty shot = goal. In the history of internet posters talking about wanting a penalty shot, no one has ever thought that a penalty shot equals automatic goal.  ...but it doesn't mean that there shouldn't have been a penalty shot.

Furthermore, and to address the non-calls on both players.  If you're a ref and you ignore the obvious holding/hooking on Nyquist, you also should ignore the almost non-existent interference on the goalie.

2. Second part = joke. sarcasm. funny stuff. "interpretation of the rule" was a play on the kicking a goal in rule vs. the no rule about kicking a goaltender and getting a goal.   it's all right there.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1437 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

XM I disagree. 3 years from now when the young guys you mention are developed-which they will be, Datsyuk will be gone, Z and Kronwall will be in the late 30's-who knows how much they will still be able to produce, Franzen will be gone I HOPE! Ericsson mid 30's etc.... The point is, the young guys are not coming fast enough to replace what we will be losing, which in fact has been the problem the last 4 or 5 years.

Even if all of the young guys that have already made it to detroit pan out-which history says they will not, none of them are guys any sees a future 80 point guy. Most look like good solid 2nd and 3rd line players. Guys that will score between 15-25 goals with 40-50 points per year. Yes every team needs guys like that. But it is your point per game guys that win cups. Or if a team is able to shut down those point per game guys.

#1438 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

XM I disagree. 3 years from now when the young guys you mention are developed-which they will be, Datsyuk will be gone, Z and Kronwall will be in the late 30's-who knows how much they will still be able to produce, Franzen will be gone I HOPE! Ericsson mid 30's etc.... The point is, the young guys are not coming fast enough to replace what we will be losing, which in fact has been the problem the last 4 or 5 years.
Even if all of the young guys that have already made it to detroit pan out-which history says they will not, none of them are guys any sees a future 80 point guy. Most look like good solid 2nd and 3rd line players. Guys that will score between 15-25 goals with 40-50 points per year. Yes every team needs guys like that. But it is your point per game guys that win cups. Or if a team is able to shut down those point per game guys.

I can see nyquist putting up 70 points/year by then

#1439 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Possible. But we know that we are losing a 80 point guy in Datsyuk by then, and Z will be 37/38 and a shadow as well. Which is the point. The only other guy that we currently have in the system that could be a big timer is Mantha, and he has yet to play a pro game.

But regardless of which guys turn out or not, we have to replace talent that is already gone AND the talent we will be losing over the next 5 years, just to be a team capable of making deep playoff runs. For us to do that we need more talent than just the standard 7 picks in the draft each year can provide. We need to either pick up veteran players or more 1st round picks.

#1440 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

I don't see his points being that high . Dats and Z have been the only guys that have done that for us in the last ten years and even though Nyquist has major skill, he isn't Dats or Z.