• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1821 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't think Smith is a top 4 dman?

nope

#1822 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Gaborik can't stay healthy

Just like half of the Wings team. I think he is worth the risk. A winger with a great shot and a proven goal scorer with every team he has been on. Gaborik with Datsyuk would be salivating.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 09 June 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#1823 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Just like half of the Wings team. I think he is worth the risk. A winger with a great shot and a proven goal scorer with every team he has been on. Gaborik with Datsyuk would be salivating.

I like gaborik just like vanek. But they won't be worth the cost they'll most likely get.

#1824 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

it ain't me...i like smith, but would trade him for Kesler in a heartbeat... Must be kip. But just because we put him in a trade scenario doesn't mean we do think he isn't top 4. I think he can be, especially here if we don't add any better d.

btw, I still would like to know who the kid is that was talked about in Russian...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1825 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

it ain't me...i like smith, but would trade him for Kesler in a heartbeat... Must be kip. But just because we put him in a trade scenario doesn't mean we do think he isn't top 4. I think he can be, especially here if we don't add any better d.

btw, I still would like to know who the kid is that was talked about in Russian...

I would trade smith for kesler too. That being said, I wouldn't move smith in a deal for anything other than a top c or a top pairing d - otherwise might as well keep him. I really like smith and this year is a big year for him - if he solidifies himself we may see a guy like E traded soon - if smith falters he may find his job in jeopardy from the kids in gr soon. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1826 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

You and the biased one kip or left? Can't remember. But opinions aside STATS prove he is. And with the lack of experience he SHOULD only get better.

I agree he should get better, and he SHOULD become a top 4 guy. But he isn't right now. All the stats prove is that he played like one for a few months. So did Kindl in a shortened season. I'm not convinced. I just don't think the mental part of his game is there yet.

#1827 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

I agree he should get better, and he SHOULD become a top 4 guy. But he isn't right now. All the stats prove is that he played like one for a few months. So did Kindl in a shortened season. I'm not convinced. I just don't think the mental part of his game is there yet.

The stats were for the entire season....

#1828 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Ekbald's fav player "perfect human"
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#1829 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Is Smith a top 4 damn? No. Is he one of our 4 best? yes. He is supposed to be an offensive defensemen, but that would mean he scores more than 19 points in a season. he has the talent to be a guy that puts up 40-50 points a year, but it hasn't clicked yet. Just as Dekeyser should become a 30-40 point per year guy.

#1830 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Is Smith a top 4 damn? No. Is he one of our 4 best? yes. He is supposed to be an offensive defensemen, but that would mean he scores more than 19 points in a season. he has the talent to be a guy that puts up 40-50 points a year, but it hasn't clicked yet. Just as Dekeyser should become a 30-40 point per year guy.

I think Smith will have a similar path that Ericsson had. Early in Ericsson's career he had flashes of brilliance laced with terrible defensive mistakes. He eventually learned the game and is now a solid defenseman. I think Smith has a bigger learning curve then we would like but I think the talent and potential is there. Give him one more full season and I don't think we will be discussing trading him.

#1831 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

DD I agree. As has been talked about many times, for whatever reasons Dmen take longer to develop. late 20's seems to be the common age of when most get it. That is part of the question surrounding all the young Dmen prospects. It will be 5+ years before most truly make it, if they ever do. We need help now.

#1832 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

I think Smith will have a similar path that Ericsson had. Early in Ericsson's career he had flashes of brilliance laced with terrible defensive mistakes. He eventually learned the game and is now a solid defenseman. I think Smith has a bigger learning curve then we would like but I think the talent and potential is there. Give him one more full season and I don't think we will be discussing trading him.

I agree, but given the second half of last season and playoffs especially (as well as the bursts of talent that we occasionally see), I'm hoping and expecting Smith to develop at a faster rate than Ericsson did.  Who knows whether he has the same plans, though.

#1833 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

The job of a defender is to prevent others from scoring goals first you have to learn that, before you can become more offensive. Granted there are exceptions from this rule like Pietrangelo, Doughty and Weber, Keith but these guys are elite so you can't compare Smith with them.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1834 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

Sometimes the easiest way to improve is to let your young players get better. Smith is ready to be a top 4 guy. Dekeyser is improving his puck movement. I don't want them to get someone who isn't head and shoulders better than those 2 kids. No Boyle. No Orpik. No Markov.

Kronwall  Smith

DeKeyser  Boyle/Markov

Ericsson  [Kid]

What's wrong with that?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1835 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:07 AM

Kronwall  Smith

DeKeyser  Boyle/Markov

Ericsson  [Kid]

What's wrong with that?

Problem is 4m E shouldn't be in bottom 2. Also I wouldn't want Boyle in top 4....and I like Markov(the good one!!!) but he is lefty :(

#1836 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Kronwall  Smith

DeKeyser  Boyle/Markov

Ericsson  [Kid]

What's wrong with that?

I'd still want Ehrhoff/Yandle over Boyle/Markov which means we'd give up Smith and Kindl plus pieces to Buffalo. (Abdelkader? Andersson?, Almquist's rights?, Monster's rights? forward prospect? a pick or picks?)

A package of Smith + Tatar + pieces to Phoenix. 

(probably viewed as overpayment by most of you, but you all know how that goes.)

Then KH would have to sign a 3rd pairing guy (Green/Mitchell/Tallinder) as well.

Kronwall  Ericsson

DeKeyser Ehrhoff/Yandle

Vet* + [kid]

Lashoff

Edited by e_prime, 10 June 2014 - 08:04 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1837 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

That would be an absolute STEAL... for Phoenix or Buffalo...

Neither Yandle or Ehrhoff are worth that package. I wouldn't involve Smith in any package deal unless it is for an elite right handed defenseman and I wouldn't consider either Yandle or Ehrhoff elite and they're also left handed shots. To add in Tatar plus other picks and prospects is huge over payment for either of those guys in my opinion.

#1838 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

That would be an absolute STEAL... for Phoenix or Buffalo...

Neither Yandle or Ehrhoff are worth that package. I wouldn't involve Smith in any package deal unless it is for an elite right handed defenseman and I wouldn't consider either Yandle or Ehrhoff elite and they're also left handed shots. To add in Tatar plus other picks and prospects is huge over payment for either of those guys in my opinion.

...and would immediately bolster our top 4 D-core.

Lets be honest:  You have to overpay to make a trade these days.  Especially intra-conference (Ehrhoff/Buffalo) or for top flight (maybe not elite - Yandle) players. It's not overpayment, it's the market.

Could you trade Tatar + Kindl+ pieces for Yandle and keep Smith?  I dunno?

I'm not a GM, really just spit-balling here.

Also, Smith is a lefty.  So you're really just trading a lefty with potential for a lefty that's further along in his development.

Edited by e_prime, 10 June 2014 - 08:28 AM.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1839 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Well, let's agree to disagree on this one, I just don't like the trade. But I'm sure Kip and a few other would agree with you ;)

I would just be really reluctant to give up Smith and Tatar, plus other assets, when I believe Smith will be much better than Ehrhoff and on par with Yandle in just a few years. I would prefer to sign a decent UFA this season, and wait for Smith and DeKeyser to reach their potential and then add in Sproul and maybe one other of Ouellet, Backman, Marchenko and Jensen.

#1840 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Agree to disagree.  That's cool.

Understand about the wait and see approach, but I'm thinking that KH has gotta move on either some prospects or Kindl/Smith/Lashoff this offseason.

Who's on your decent UFA list?