• Please log in to reply
2594 replies to this topic

#1881 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Trying to find a middle ground between realistic and pipedreaming, I think I'm settling on this for our blue line:

Kronwall  Smith

DeKeyser  Stralman

Ericsson  Marchenko

I'd be ok with that.

Up front, I'd love to add Pouliot, as I've said. That's almost certainly not happening, but I have him slotted in there for now. I'd also like to trade for Tom Wilson, as I've also said.

Stralman, Wilson, Pouliot. For all my bellyaching and teeth-gnashing and pissing and moaning about making bold deals to make our team a winner, I'd be real happy with just adding those three. I'm not in favor of big moves for the sake of big moves. I do think we're a couple players away from being one of the better teams in the East.

I'ma try and work out some forward lines. I've got custom roster fever again.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1882 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

My middle ground is anything not involving Quincey or Kindl...

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Morris

Ericsson - Marchenko

Works for me.  Especially if I am not trading Smith in ay sort of deal.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1883 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Backstrom
Giroux-Brodziak-Gaborik
Miller-Helm-Neil
Weise-MacKenzie-McGrattan

Kronwall-Dekeyser
Ericsson-Giordano
Greene-Engelland

This seems to be working well for me in my Dynasty Mode. Ken should give it a try.

Nyquist Mackinnon Drouin
Mantha Dal Colle Jurco
Kulemin McDavid Eaves
Miller Ferraro some bum

Dekeyser Ouellet
Sproul Ekblad
Roland Mckeown Julius Honka

Quick
McCollum.

I expect this roster by 2019 because I have won 6 straight cups. If only video games were reality and half of that could be real life. I'd kill for McDavid and MacKinnon. Mainly because this team needs a future #1 C. As far as next year, I'm beginning to warm to the idea of trading up to get DalColle or Ekblad. Ekblad might be able to step right in.

#1884 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Meszaros?

#1885 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

Dickie, I hear what you're saying but I would never make that trade, even after expressing my love for Jamie Benn. I would bet any amount of money that the 5 pieces you would trade to Dallas would end up being the better package then the Benn brothers. Yes, I'm well aware that Mantha could become a 40-50 point player at the NHL level, but I would bet he will come closer to a 70-80 point player, which is basically what Benn is / will be. And I guarantee the combination of both Smith and Sproul (if not each of them) will be much better NHL players then Jordie Benn. Then you add in another promising prospect and a first rounder. NO WAY you make that trade... EVER!

By the way, terrible analogy, not the same situation at all. It would be more like someone having two briefcases, telling you each one has $5000 in it. He also has 5 other briefcases, each having between $1500 and $5000 in them. Would you take the 2 briefcases with a guaranteed $10,000 or would you take the 5 briefcases that could range between 7500 and 25,000?....

#1886 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Dickie, I hear what you're saying but I would never make that trade, even after expressing my love for Jamie Benn. I would bet any amount of money that the 5 pieces you would trade to Dallas would end up being the better package then the Benn brothers. Yes, I'm well aware that Mantha could become a 40-50 point player at the NHL level, but I would bet he will come closer to a 70-80 point player, which is basically what Benn is / will be. And I guarantee the combination of both Smith and Sproul (if not each of them) will be much better NHL players then Jordie Benn. Then you add in another promising prospect and a first rounder. NO WAY you make that trade... EVER!

By the way, terrible analogy, not the same situation at all. It would be more like someone having two briefcases, telling you each one has $5000 in it. He also has 5 other briefcases, each having between $1500 and $5000 in them. Would you take the 2 briefcases with a guaranteed $10,000 or would you take the 5 briefcases that could range between 7500 and 25,000?....

Hrmmm.  *scratches head* This could be a game show!!!  Does anyone have a dozen or so models and Howie Mandel's phone number?

I kid. I kid.

Meszaros?

At the right price I wouldn't say no. 

Last year his cap hit was $4million, salary $5.5.

At 28 y/o, I'm guessing he'll be looking for a similar number.

He's a lefty, but he's better than K or Q.

The real question is who else wants him?  Who will we be bidding against?

Can Boston re:up with him while keeping Bartkowski and Krug?

I have no idea if the aforementioned have waiver options left. 

If they send Miller back down to Providence they've got:

Chara-Seidenberg-Boychuk-McQuaid-Hamilton

I don't think Boston even needs him.

He was acquired for solely for depth when Seidenberg became unavailable.

Would he go back to Philly?

Everybody wants a puck moving defenseman, no?

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1887 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hrmmm.  *scratches head* This could be a game show!!!  Does anyone have a dozen or so models and Howie Mandel's phone number?

I kid. I kid.

At the right price I wouldn't say no. 
Last year his cap hit was $4million, salary $5.5.
At 28 y/o, I'm guessing he'll be looking for a similar number.
He's a lefty, but he's better than K or Q.

The real question is who else wants him?  Who will we be bidding against?
Can Boston re:up with him while keeping Bartkowski and Krug?
I have no idea if the aforementioned have waiver options left. 
If they send Miller back down to Providence they've got:
Chara-Seidenberg-Boychuk-McQuaid-Hamilton

I don't think Boston even needs him.
He was acquired for solely for depth when Seidenberg became unavailable.

Would he go back to Philly?
Everybody wants a puck moving defenseman, no?

Philly doesn't have much money to spend though (what else is new) and I think they still need quite a few players. They basically have prongers cap hit plus a mil or two.

Just checked and they prongers cap plus 2 mil and they only have 10 forwards, 6 d, and 1 goalie

#1888 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Philly doesn't have much money to spend though (what else is new) and I think they still need quite a few players. They basically have prongers cap hit plus a mil or two.

Just checked and they prongers cap plus 2 mil and they only have 10 forwards, 6 d, and 1 goalie

On the rumors site it says they might've made lecavlier available....but pretty sure no one wants. Imagine I they would've gotten weber the serious cap issues they'd be in...sheesh.

#1889 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Realistically, if we don't get a forward of Kesler's caliber, and a top 2 Dman, D and Z won't win another cup.

#1890 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Do you really think we need another forward that bad?  Another top tier scorer never hurt anybody, but we've got a lot of potentially good forwards. And that potential isn't far off. I mean, both Tatar and Nyquist were great this year.  They may have a sophomore slump, but if they continue to build on that they are both bonafide top six players this season.  I think that if we can only address one position, it has to be defense.  Top 2 caliber, so I agree with you there.

There are (as usual) question marks over next season's Red Wings.  If Weiss is the player most of us think he can be, we'll be alright.  That will help our offense.  And if we secure that Top 2 offensive defenseman, that helps generate more offense.  Puck movement and smart puck handling on the part of our defensemen is crucial to the offensive success of this team.  

Again, a top tier forward isn't going to hurt us, and makes a Cup more likely, but if Howard is good and we get the right defenseman, the offense might fall into place.  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1891 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Do you really think we need another forward that bad?  Another top tier scorer never hurt anybody, but we've got a lot of potentially good forwards. And that potential isn't far off. I mean, both Tatar and Nyquist were great this year.  They may have a sophomore slump, but if they continue to build on that they are both bonafide top six players this season.  I think that if we can only address one position, it has to be defense.  Top 2 caliber, so I agree with you there.

There are (as usual) question marks over next season's Red Wings.  If Weiss is the player most of us think he can be, we'll be alright.  That will help our offense.  And if we secure that Top 2 offensive defenseman, that helps generate more offense.  Puck movement and smart puck handling on the part of our defensemen is crucial to the offensive success of this team.  

Again, a top tier forward isn't going to hurt us, and makes a Cup more likely, but if Howard is good and we get the right defenseman, the offense might fall into place.  

A forward is the best option IMO for a few reasons.

First we need some more balance(righties).
Second we have lack of center depth...remember Anderson as first line center??!!!?!?
Third can Weiss be the number two?
Fourth who takes over for dat if he retires at end of current deal?
Fifth and most importantly IMO....I'm 99% sure we won't get a TOP PAIRING defenseman. There's none in UFA and none for trade...now a bottom pairing or a righty?? Sure we can are but forward just is easier to get more talent at which we do need.

Also we new size. Tatar and nyquist have shown skill but they continue the Detroit tradition of no size. Which is what he had a convo of size AND skill as does very other team when they're dominate.

#1892 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

A forward is the best option IMO for a few reasons.

First we need some more balance(righties).
Second we have lack of center depth...remember Anderson as first line center??!!!?!?
Third can Weiss be the number two?
Fourth who takes over for dat if he retires at end of current deal?
Fifth and most importantly IMO....I'm 99% sure we won't get a TOP PAIRING defenseman. There's none in UFA and none for trade...now a bottom pairing or a righty?? Sure we can are but forward just is easier to get more talent at which we do need.

Also we new size. Tatar and nyquist have shown skill but they continue the Detroit tradition of no size. Which is what he had a convo of size AND skill as does very other team when they're dominate.

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Weiss

Helm

Sheahan

Glendening

Andersson

We do not have a lack of center depth. the andersson at 1st line center was a perfect storm of everybody getting injured. 

#1893 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Only center depth we lack is below the major league level

#1894 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Weiss
Helm
Sheahan
Glendening
Andersson

We do not have a lack of center depth. the andersson at 1st line center was a perfect storm of everybody getting injured. 

Dat and z are just getting older so it's kind if stupid to think they'll get healthier with age? Weiss like I've said numerous times WE DONT KNOW. Will he ever be healthy again? Will he ever actually play well? And the rest are all 3rd and 4th liners. Hopefully Sheahan can be a 2c I like him a lot but that's too much to expect out of him rught now. Let's see him excel at 3c for a bit.

And helm....injured injured and ummm o yea....injured.

Edited by DeGraa55, 12 June 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#1895 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

C depth? Not really. When we look at offensive C's we have 1 maybe 2: Datsyuk and Weiss. Z has been playing LW lately and I expect that to continue. Helm, Glendening, and Andersson are defensive C's. Maybe Sheahan becomes something, but it is to early to tell, also he can play wing. So its not like we are overloaded with true #1 and #2 C's. Datsyuk as a 1 and Spezza or Kesler as a 2, is MUCH better then Datsyuk and Weiss. You can never have to much proven talent.

#1896 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

Brad Richards on a short term deal? Might be a solid acquisition as insurance for Weiss. Seems like Richards is destined to be bought out. I think he could be effective in the 2C slot with quality wingers. Takes some pressure off of Weiss too and is good insurance if one of Datsyuk, Z, Weiss get injured (which usually happens nowadays). I'm just thinking the cheapest and easiest (the Holland way) way to solidify our forward group for next season. 

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Weiss - Richards - Nyquist

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Marchenko

Ericsson - Backman/Ouellet

Not terrible considering no trades made so far. D still needs some help via trade.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1897 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Brad Richards on a short term deal? Might be a solid acquisition as insurance for Weiss. Seems like Richards is destined to be bought out. I think he could be effective in the 2C slot with quality wingers. Takes some pressure off of Weiss too and is good insurance if one of Datsyuk, Z, Weiss get injured (which usually happens nowadays). I'm just thinking the cheapest and easiest (the Holland way) way to solidify our forward group for next season. 

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
Weiss - Richards - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Kronwall - Smith
Dekeyser - Marchenko
Ericsson - Backman/Ouellet

Not terrible considering no trades made so far. D still needs some help via trade.

Richards is not what we need. He is more of a set-up man. He averages about 20 some goals a season. We need a sniping winger to put with Datsyuk.

#1898 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

...Richards?  ...Brad Richards?

Have you watched any Rangers games lately?

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1899 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

What we really need is a top end defenceman...  Kronner is a solid #2, or a fantastic #3...  What he isn't is a #1 d-man.

I know I'll get slammed for this BUT...  I think the Wings should fire an offer sheet off to PK Subban.  Max money, max years with as many poision pills as Montreal can swallow.  If nothing else it will "cost" a division rival  some cash.

#1900 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

What we really need is a top end defenceman...  Kronner is a solid #2, or a fantastic #3...  What he isn't is a #1 d-man.

I know I'll get slammed for this BUT...  I think the Wings should fire an offer sheet off to PK Subban.  Max money, max years with as many poision pills as Montreal can swallow.  If nothing else it will "cost" a division rival  some cash.

Ya great idea for next year. I believe he has 1 year left on deal?

Some people hated on phillies gm for doing that to weber but at end if day it's worth it. It's THE ONLY WAY they had a s*** at getting him and if Nashville matches they're now in the books for it.

Edited by DeGraa55, 13 June 2014 - 10:05 AM.