• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

Brace yourself for Bert, Sammy and Cleary in the line-up tonight one last time....

Last time the 3 of them may see regular season NHL ice

#22 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

I don't see it happening.  They are all supposedly "injured".  Bertuzzi, maybe.  Cleary, doubtful.  Samuelsson, absolutely not.

As far as Sproul and Oulette go, these aren't over ripe 24 year olds.  They are 20 and 21 years old.  Its one thing to bring up Jurco or Sheahan during the regular season due a pure need for warm bodies at forward and bringing up two young defensemen to play in the Stanley Cup playoffs against the best team in the NHL and one of the most physical.  It could give them valuable experience or it could shatter their confidence and put them back in their development. 

Smith was 24 last year, with college hockey and minor league experience.  He had some minor flashes of good play in between many cringe worthy moments.  Lets look back and see how many fans wanted him on the fast track out of town during the Chicago series.  Luckily, he's been mature enough to handle it and is steadily improving, but there's still plenty of mistakes.  But that's with an entire season in the NHL.  Most defenseman have to go through some growing pains.  DeKeyser is the exception, not the rule. 

I don't see either of them being the difference between advancing in the playoffs or not.  Too much risk, not enough reward potential. 

#23 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

I'm really hoping that one of these guys impresses enough to make the playoff roster, although if it hasn't happened by now, it won't happen this year.

From what I've read they aren't quite nhl ready yet, but I doubt they could be worse then our current favorites, kindl and lashoff. Smith has been awesome lately, Quincey has been OK kronwall and donkey Kong have been great

They can be a lot worse.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#24 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

From what I've read they aren't quite nhl ready yet, but I doubt they could be worse then our current favorites, kindl and lashoff. Smith has been awesome lately, Quincey has been OK kronwall and donkey Kong have been great

I don't want this to become another Kindl/Lashoff bash fest, but I just can't watch them on the same pairing. The whole not NHL ready thing is also really misleading though, who thought guys like Sheahan/Jurco were ready? Unless these guys get a chance it's tough to definitively say that they are not ready. It's disappointing that they weren't given a chance earlier, but now that the playoffs are here; I'd say its too late to make a change. You dance with the one that brung ya even though our date is not the best looking. 

Sheahan plays a much more mature game than a typical rookie. Jurco has shown flashes but 15 points in 35 games isn't all that spectacular.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#25 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Sheahan plays a much more mature game than a typical rookie. Jurco has shown flashes but 15 points in 35 games isn't all that spectacular.

The 3rd pairing doesn't need to be spectacular.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

The 3rd pairing doesn't need to be spectacular.

Just reliable. Sproul and Ouellet aren't ready for that yet.

#27 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Just reliable. Sproul and Ouellet aren't ready for that yet.

All through out sports there have been tons of players that were though to be unready, yet once brought up they contributed. They may very we'll not be quite ready, but Holland had a perfect chance to bring these guys up; because sometimes players surprise you.

Plus Kindl/Lashoff haven't exactly been reliable either, so what makes them better then a rookie? NHL experience? That's sometimes grossly overrated.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Neither will see playoffs. This is purely to rest players.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I dont know how a calder cup and amongst the favorites to repeat doesnt translate to nhl ready. But im not an expert so hopefully they have a bright future.

#30 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

These two are in for kronner and dekeyser. Bert also in for mule today

#31 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

These two are in for kronner and dekeyser. Bert also in for mule today

Because out of everyone, Franzen is the guy that needs the most rest. On a serious note though, maybe Franzen getting a mental health day, helps him relax. 

• hak likes this

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Would someone mind describing their play today? I only caught like 15min.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#33 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

a few rookie hesitation moments that led to rushes by the Blues, but in all not too bad. Sproul had time on the PP got away 3 shots and

Xav had time on the PK. 18.25 for Sproul and 16.21 for Ouellet so Babs gave them plenty of ice.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#34 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

They could both fit in nicely next season..they need NHL experience

#35 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Both of them look great. Oullet the more steady, reliable of the two but Sproul looks like a potential elite d-man in a few years. Size, skating, skill, shot, physical play.. yep.

#36 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

http://kuklaskorner....-wings-theyre-h

Babcock after today’s game:

“He’s (Sproul) 6-foot-4, he can skate, he shoots BBs and he’s smart and he moves the puck,” Babcock said. “Ouellet makes the right play each and every time. They’re good.”

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Ouellet was mostly invisible (in a good way), Sproul was very visible (in a mostly good way). Exactly what you'd expect from these two. They'll get at least another season on the farm, but will probably see quality minutes with the big club next season, given our annual injury woes. Throw in Marchenko and maybe Almqvist (though I think he gets traded), and the future of our blue line looks very bright.

I'd still like us to bring in a quality vet or two, though. Warming up to LeftWinger's pick - Derek Morris.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

I thought Sproul played the better game, but Ouellet was very solid, aside from one miscue when he decided to step up at centre that led to a 2 on 1 for the Blues. Besides that, he was pretty invisible like Dabura said. 

I was really really impressed with Sproul I have to say. Threw his body around - absolutely nailed Derek Roy into the boards at one point, no fear in jumping up into the rush, willing to unleash the slapper from the point and skates well. Got me rather excited. 

temp 1

#39 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Both players played their role well. Makes a little more comfortable heading into the offseason with the terrible UFA of D men available. 

One Note: its amazing how Marckenko is ranked higher on the wings prospect board, with how solid these two played. Excited for these guys to see some time sparingly next year.

#40 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

that hit in the corner that sproul (i think, could've been oulette) had though.. it was nice to see a wing's big body used for a change.... lookin at you ericsson

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."