• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I thought Sproul played the better game, but Ouellet was very solid, aside from one miscue when he decided to step up at centre that led to a 2 on 1 for the Blues. Besides that, he was pretty invisible like Dabura said. 

I was really really impressed with Sproul I have to say. Threw his body around - absolutely nailed Derek Roy into the boards at one point, no fear in jumping up into the rush, willing to unleash the slapper from the point and skates well. Got me rather excited. 

Actually that was Sproul that stepped up in the neutral zone and let the Blues blow by for a 2 on 1.  It was a glaring mistake, but it showed aggression and confidence.  Other than that, he looked good, and his shot looks really heavy.

Oulette was in good position and didn't seem to stand out at all.  He made a quick heads up play in the D-zone, where the puck came to him and he one-timed a pass up-ice to break Tatar or Nyquist on a breakaway.  Very heads up play.  Oulette looks like a mistake free defensive defenceman, but also capable of rushing the puck up ice.  

Sproul really shines in the O-zone with that huge shot, and big body in the D-zone.  Both are good skaters.

#42 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Both players played their role well. Makes a little more comfortable heading into the offseason with the terrible UFA of D men available. 

One Note: its amazing how Marckenko is ranked higher on the wings prospect board, with how solid these two played. Excited for these guys to see some time sparingly next year.

I have yet to se a list (including Hockeys Future and Red Wings Central) that has Marchenko ranked higher than either Ouellet or Sproul.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#43 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Sticking around until at least Thursday to practice with the team and get used to the system, just in case………..

http://kuklaskorner....n-case-scenario

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#44 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

I have yet to se a list (including Hockeys Future and Red Wings Central) that has Marchenko ranked higher than either Ouellet or Sproul.

As someone who watched a lot of Griffins games and who thinks the world of Sproul I think Marchenko is the best defenceman in our system whose not on the Wings right now.

If Sproul hits his potential I think he's the best of the 3 but right now I'd rank them Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul.

#45 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:30 AM

As someone who watched a lot of Griffins games and who thinks the world of Sproul I think Marchenko is the best defenceman in our system whose not on the Wings right now.

If Sproul hits his potential I think he's the best of the 3 but right now I'd rank them Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul.

That's why Marchenko got called up earlier in te year, Babcock and Blashill talk almost every day and Blashill was saying that Marchenko was their best d-man. If his season wasn't over I'm sure he would have been called up.

#46 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Marchenko doesn't have as much upside but he's closer to ready

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#47 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

I was refering to comments made by managment, specifically Holland, who during a radio interview after Marchenko got hurt mentioned he was further developed and it was unfortunate he got hurt because he would have, most likley, been the first call up. Typical Holland talk though where he states something like that but then says "most likely" or "possibly"

#48 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

Honestly what's the harm in letting them play in playoffs? They wouldnt be the first black aces to play in the playoffs before getting much regular season time. And even with rookie Inexperience they're better than Kindl.

Might not hurt to rotate one In for a game and see how they do. I don't think it would crush their confidence if they had a bad game.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#49 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Honestly what's the harm in letting them play in playoffs? They wouldnt be the first black aces to play in the playoffs before getting much regular season time. And even with rookie Inexperience they're better than Kindl.

Might not hurt to rotate one In for a game and see how they do. I don't think it would crush their confidence if they had a bad game.

It might not crush their confidence but it might crush our chances of getting past round 1

#50 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

It might not crush their confidence but it might crush our chances of getting past round 1

At the same time, Lashoff-Kindl during the 2nd periods of Game 1 and 2 could crush our chances as well. Those guys get pinned deep in the d-zone enough as it is.

#NOMOREKINDL

#51 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Backman, Athanasiou, Janmark to GR Griffins. The Griffs just got much more exciting. 

http://www.griffinsh...article_id=2812

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#52 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Potential D Pairings in GR:

Ouellet - Sproul

Backman - Marchenko

Almquist - Jensen

DAMNNNNNNN so nice. Got that L-R shots all balanced nicely. So much talent. 

#53 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Backman,Janmark and Athanasiou all assigned to Grand Rapids by the Wings

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 16 April 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#54 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

I was hoping that Val D'Or got eliminated by now so we could see Mantha in GR too. Guess we'll have to wait another round.

temp 1

#55 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Potential D Pairings in GR:

Ouellet - Sproul

Backman - Marchenko

Almquist - Jensen

DAMNNNNNNN so nice. Got that L-R shots all balanced nicely. So much talent. 

Hnnnnnggg

Not sure how our prospect pool got so stacked. Well done scouts. We can afford several of those guys being busts and still be solid, especially if Smith keeps improving like he has been. 

#56 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Val D'or could knock off Halifax

#57 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Oullett and Sproul looked very good. I thought the blues games was the best lashoff and kindl have played for a long time. Whole D looked good.

That being said, both Oullett and Sproul can play 2 more years in GR. Keep them there as a pair and let them develop. Rushing Dmen up is a bad idea. Smith was/is much older than both of those guys when he was forced to play in the NHL. it has hampered his development. Sign a vet like Greene to pair with Smith and let O/S slow cook in GR.

I doubt Almqvist is back next year. he has to pass through waivers to go to GR and isn't as good as the other 6 vets we have now.

#58 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Oullett and Sproul looked very good. I thought the blues games was the best lashoff and kindl have played for a long time. Whole D looked good.

That being said, both Oullett and Sproul can play 2 more years in GR. Keep them there as a pair and let them develop. Rushing Dmen up is a bad idea. Smith was/is much older than both of those guys when he was forced to play in the NHL. it has hampered his development. Sign a vet like Greene to pair with Smith and let O/S slow cook in GR.

I doubt Almqvist is back next year. he has to pass through waivers to go to GR and isn't as good as the other 6 vets we have now.

I actually think Smith would have developed better if he was up earlier. First - he could have learned from Lids. Second - no matter how old you are as a rookie dman you will make rookie mistakes - Smith is going through that now.