Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Who was the Wings regular season MVP

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Who was the Wings regular season MVP?

Who was the Wings regular season MVP?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I was really tempted to go with Nyquist (duh) or Zetterberg (duh). But, ultimately, it has to be Kronwall. I don't see how it could be anyone else. He plays the most minutes. He gets the toughest assignments. He's used in all situations. He's first or second on the team in points while being far and away our best, most valuable defenseman and the reason our blue line isn't among the worst in the league. He became The Leader in Z's absence. He only missed a few games. He's adjusted and elevated his game. Through all the ups and downs and injuries and changes, he's been the one great constant.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

I voted Nyquist because I think there's no "ifs" about it. We don't make the playoffs without that ridiculous hot streak. Kronwall a close second though. He had some rough patches (in my opinion) but that's understandable considering how heavily we leaned on him and I was really impressed that he still played after some of the hits he took and wasn't on IR more. Champ.

#23 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

A Red Wings' MVP poll without Datsyuk?

Say it ain't so!

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#24 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think it has to be Kronner, Gus has been incredible and Z would have been MVP if he'd played the whole year, but of all the injuries we had this year, if we lost Kronner for a lengthy period no way we make the playoffs.

Edited by FifeHockeyNut, 14 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#25 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

I chose Monster.  Not that he'd ever get the recognition, but damn... he got this team in the playoffs and nobody really talks about it.

#26 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

It's a 4 way tie for me between Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Weiss... without them we would never have seen Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco.

Thank you gents for sucking so bad.

This is classic
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#27 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

As easy as it was to pick last year's MVP (Howard), this year is extremely difficult.  Nyquist has been very good, brilliant at times, but he wasn't here for the first 2 months of the season.  Same can be said for Zetterberg, but he has missed a lot of time... and the team wasn't in a playoff position much of the time he was playing.  (That's not an indictment of him, but the rest of the team has stepped up big-time in his absence.)  Kronwall has not been particularly excellent, but has been a steadying influence, and probably wins the award by default as much as by earning it.  Howard has been far too inconsistent and Gustavsson can't be counted on to stay healthy.  There are a lot of players you can say "without him, we don't make the playoffs"... it's been a complete and total team effort.

#28 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Kronwall. He played well against the best. Remained healthy. Can be the next wing to wear the C.

#29 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Obviously Nyquist, but I think Alfie should be getting a lot more credit for what he did this season. He was one of the only older players that was consistently in the lineup who produced decently as well. I don't know if we would've been able to pull through without him there. Z was great when he played, but that was half a season. Gustavson was a major help the first half of the season but was less effective as time went on and injuries piled up. Howard? Absolutely not. Kronwall deserves a look, but eh. 

-Elliot...does not panic.

#30 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

This is classic

It's also dumb. Weiss didn't suck. He was injured. People need to start understanding the difference.

#31 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Is this even a debate????    GOOSE!!!

#32 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

It's a 4 way tie for me between Bertuzzi, Cleary, Samuelsson, Weiss... without them we would never have seen Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco.

Thank you gents for sucking so bad.

I forgot Weiss was even on the team, thanks for reminding us :censored: .

Posted Image

#33 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Where was Weiss, Cleary and Samuelsson in this poll? Lol seriously, putting Howard on the list and not Tatar or Datsyuk? These guys make things happen whether they're scoring or not. Howard had a bad year but that can change once the playoffs start. Kronwall made a lot of mistakes for our d captain but overall he was good. 0 plus minus didn't quite cut it for me. Zetts hasn't played much but he was great when he did and monster getting us 37 points while he was back there in goal was good and what more could you ask for from the backup? Vote goes to Nyquist. Game winners, breakaways,and energy. Carried this team.

Edited by GoWings!, 15 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Nyquist of course. Was putting Jimmy Howard on the list a joke? If so, it was pretty funny!

So funny that 2 people voted for him :)

Lol seriously, putting Howard on the list and not Tatar or Datsyuk?

There is an option for "other", so far no-one has chosen to use it...

Edited by Nev, 15 April 2014 - 12:18 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I chose "other" and I'm voting Danny Dekeyser.  Logged hard minutes, against good competition, and played very well.  All in his rookie year.  If Smith's uneven play gets excused because he's a rookie, Dekeyser deserves HUGE kudos for being a rookie and playing extremely well.  Just imagine what our defense looks like without him. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I chose "other" and I'm voting Danny Dekeyser.  Logged hard minutes, against good competition, and played very well.  All in his rookie year.  If Smith's uneven play gets excused because he's a rookie, Dekeyser deserves HUGE kudos for being a rookie and playing extremely well.  Just imagine what our defense looks like without him. 

I agree that he has been fantastic. But the D would be a lot worst without Kronwall as far as this season goes. 

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

I agree that he has been fantastic. But the D would be a lot worst without Kronwall as far as this season goes. 

Agreed.  I just wanted to pick "other" to be different.  I'm like the goth kid of hockey forums.  You don't understand me and you never will mom!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#38 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Agreed.  I just wanted to pick "other" to be different.  I'm like the goth kid of hockey forums.  You don't understand me and you never will mom!

I'd give Deke props for his season but not MVP.  I like him more every time I see him play.  He has a great future.

I quoted this part of your conversation because "the goth kid of hockey" blew my mind.  That would be awesome to have a team of goth kids.  With gothic mullets.

Edited by 55fan, 15 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#39 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Goose and his 6 GWG gets my vote

#40 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I'm going with Kronwall.....He became more responsible, and reduced his errors as the season went on.....By far our best, and most consistent Dman.

'Evolution' created by Offsides