• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheel91

Round 1 Line Combinations

Rate this topic

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread (apologies if this topic is being talked about in a different one) to discuss line combinations for Round 1 against the Bruins. From everything I have heard, Zetterberg is hopeful for a Game 4/5 return, while Ericsson is looking at the start of Round 2.

Based on the past few games, I have found it toughest to gauge where Babcock is going to put Helm. It seems logical to think that a lot of that will depend on matchups (home/away) but it seems as though him and Legwand are Interchangeable.

Here is my best guess for Games 1-4.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Legwand - Franzen

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Miller - Helm - Glendenning

Kronwall - Smith

Dekesyer - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

Let me know what you guys think and how we stack up against Boston

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread (apologies if this topic is being talked about in a different one) to discuss line combinations for Round 1 against the Bruins. From everything I have heard, Zetterberg is hopeful for a Game 4/5 return, while Ericsson is looking at the start of Round 2.

Based on the past few games, I have found it toughest to gauge where Babcock is going to put Helm. It seems logical to think that a lot of that will depend on matchups (home/away) but it seems as though him and Legwand are Interchangeable.

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Kronwall - Smith

Dekesyer - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

I'm hoping babs puts nyquist and pavel together. If it was me id go with...

Nyquist- datsyuk-alfy

Tatar-sheahan-jurco

Franzen-Legwand-helm

Miller-glenny-Abby

You lost Babcock at the first line because there's no "net front presence". Yeah, NyQ will go to the corners and retrieve pucks and he always seems to be lurking somewhere near the slot, but he's not going to be the guy that parks his ass in front for screens.

I'm hoping babs puts nyquist and pavel together. If it was me id go with...

Nyquist- datsyuk-alfy
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Franzen-Legwand-helm
Miller-glenny-Abby

Hi Guys,

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Kronwall - Smith

Dekesyer - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

I think these lines are probably best, the way out roster is at the moment having Datsyuk and Nyquist on the same line makes the Chara matchup easy for Julien, by splitting them I think we have more chance of causing them trouble, also think babcock wants them to be kept separate so Gus doesn't feel he has to always give the puck to Pav.

Heres what WILL happen:

Franzen - Dats - Abby (hate this line)

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

Jurco/Miller - Helm - Alfie/Bertuzzi :(

Miller/Jurco - Glendenning - Legwand

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Here's what I think would be the most productive lineup with the assumption that sproul/oullet remain in the minors:

Nyquist - Dats - Abby

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Franzen - Helm/Legwand - Alfredsson

Miller - Glendenning - Legwand/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

Dekeyser/Lashoff

Quincey/Kindl

Lash/Kindl NEED to be separated if we have any chance of making it anywhere. That might be the worst D pairing I've seen in detroit in recent time. Smith can't be removed from Kronner as he is clearly at his best with someone reliable beside him. The bottom 2 pairings are balanced out as much as possible this way.

Dats has shown to not play well with franzen/alfie but I'm sure we'll still see that combination throughout the first round. IMO, he needs a player like abby with another fast skilled forward such as nyquist/jurco on his line. IF franzen decides to show up for a few shifts he'd be okay on datsyuks line as long as there is that skilled forward on that line as well.

I would go with:

Abdelkader/Datsyuk/Nyquist

Alfredsson/Legwand/Franzen

Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco

Miller/Glendening/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

DeKeyser/Quincy

Lashoff/Kindl

Hard to come up with a combo of Quincey, Lashoff, and Kindl on that bottom pairing that isn't cringeworthy, but Q has been making fewer bonehead plays lately, so keeping him with DeKeyser offsets the inevitability as DD can cover any brainfarts. Lashoff/Kindl is still a turd sandwich, just not a soggy one, limit their ice time and for the love of YFMB keep Kindl off the PP!

Edited by McAwesome

Most of us are on the same page with lines, it seems.

Not I said the fly. When Nyquist is on a line with Dats he doesn't seem to produce. Leave him with Legwand and Franzen and but Dats with Alfie and Abdelkader until Z gets back. Nothing about Dats and Nyquist playing together thus far has been a success, the only reason everybody likes it is because they're mesmerized by the thought of the two together...regardless of the cold hard reality.

I would go with:

Abdelkader/Datsyuk/Nyquist

Alfredsson/Legwand/Franzen

Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco

Miller/Glendening/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

DeKeyser/Quincy

Lashoff/Kindl

Hard to come up with a combo of Quincey, Lashoff, and Kindl on that bottom pairing that isn't cringeworthy, but Q has been making fewer bonehead plays lately, so keeping him with DeKeyser offsets the inevitability as DD can cover any brainfarts. Lashoff/Kindl is still a turd sandwich, just not a soggy one, limit their ice time and for the love of YFMB keep Kindl off the PP!

I'd swap Nyquist and Alfie, otherwise totally agree. I just feel like that second line won't produce without Nyquist and if I recall his hot streak was in full steam when he was with Legwand and Franzen. Either way I just want to see Jurco back on the kid line.

Not I said the fly. When Nyquist is on a line with Dats he doesn't seem to produce. Leave him with Legwand and Franzen and but Dats with Alfie and Abdelkader until Z gets back. Nothing about Dats and Nyquist playing together thus far has been a success, the only reason everybody likes it is because they're mesmerized by the thought of the two together...regardless of the cold hard reality.

They haven't- doesn't mean they won't, Pav wasn't anywhere near game shape when he came back which hasn't exactly been ideal for Gus. I still think they can find chemistry together.

The Abby Dats Alfie line, isn't something I"d be able to handle long term. Alfie was terrible towards the end and I hate when Abby plays with Pav.

I simply want the kid line to get second line minutes

Ill go with

Mule dats Gus

Tatar sheahan jurco

Alfredsson legwand abdelkader I think all three have offensive ability

Then go glendening helm and in my wet dream tootoo but realistically miller

It will be interesting to see if Babcock gets the kid line drunk and gives them revolvers, or if he hog-ties them to a post and plays 20-41-17 for like 30 minutes in game 1.

It will be interesting to see if Babcock gets the kid line drunk and gives them revolvers, or if he hog-ties them to a post and plays 20-41-17 for like 30 minutes in game 1.

Also, I’m going to quote myself here + add that 20-41-17 IMO is a pretty awesome 4th line.

We saw how well the kids played with Dats and Z out, so why not creat havoc for the B's and put Dats on the 3rd line?

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Miller - Glendenning - Abdelkader

It may look strange, but how do you counter that?

If it were me:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist -- Bergeron line and Chara.

Abby - Legwand - Alfie -- Soderberg line

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco -- Paille line

Miller - Helm - Glendening -- Krejci line

These 2 lines may be the difference maker in this series...if the kids can outplay the Paille line and Helm's line can keep Krejci's line in check then this gives the Wing's a punchers chance.

Edited by MotorCityMadness

Exactly! Gus is in awe when he plays with Datsyuk.

The cold hard reality of what ? Playing together for maybe 8 games in his career with Datsyuk. Chemistry isn't a thing you learn overnight, look no further then Abby.

The cold hard reality of what ? Playing together for maybe 8 games in his career with Datsyuk. Chemistry isn't a thing you learn overnight, look no further then Abby.

I actually agree with your thoughts here. But a Stanley Cup playoff series against arguably the best team in the league isn't exactly the time to be hashing out chemistry issues. We already know that Nyquist can score with Franzen and Legwand. Leave him there and let him produce immediately. We're going to need it.

Edited by kipwinger