• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

We're annoyed because it is guys like Paul Holmgren who have created this "reality". Throwing money at guys who don't deserve it.

I don't care who you play for, a d-man worth $5M per doesn't finish -22 and 28 points. Every defenseman should be judge on a Nick Lidstrom scale. How much did the best d-man of the generation make in his last year? $6M?

Comparing to Lidstrom with a lower cap might not be fair - but I agree with you completely - compare to top dmen in todays nhl:

AMac at 5 mill - what does PK Subban get?

Karlsson's contract is like 6.5 mill or something too...

Doughty only makes 2mill more than the new AMac contract. 

Glendening is sitting at 600k for 3 years and although he is a completely different player - he isn't 1/8th as valuable as AMac is despite playing different positions.

Its funny that the top star players will be stuck around 9 mill with many sitting around 7-8 mill and then these middle of the pack players are getting the true overpayment. The NHL should increase cap hits each year proportional to the increased cap growth each year so that stupid contracts like these stick out for the full length of the contract rather than looking okay in 3-4 years. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

He is so so similar to Quincey with his falling and questionable balance, also can not receive a pass very well and throws some grenades but his pk is good and he can eat minutes I'd much much much prefer Ericsson though
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#23 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

He is so so similar to Quincey with his falling and questionable balance, also can not receive a pass very well and throws some grenades but his pk is good and he can eat minutes I'd much much much prefer Ericsson though

Good point - if he is pulling in 5mill per - what will Quincey get on the open market lol?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#24 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Good point - if he is pulling in 5mill per - what will Quincey get on the open market lol?

$10 million?  :lol:

temp 1

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

I think it's high time we found out :)

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Context is key here.

• Timonen's their Kronwall, and he's just about done.
  • Streit's 36 and nothing really special.
  • Coburn, Grossman, Gustafsson, Hal Gill. In a word, woof.
  • When was the last time you heard about a Flyers prospect? Can you name a Flyers prospect, just off the top of your head? If so, is he a defenseman? If so, is he any good? If so, which do you feel is the more likely outcome: that he a) is developed with care and patience and becomes a solid top-four defenseman for the Flyers, or b) gets traded for Douglas Murray?
  • This summer's crop of UFA defensemen is terribad, and I doubt many top-end defensemen will be moved.

So I'd say they actually did pretty well.

Side note: wonder if they'd be interested in any of Kindl, Lashoff, Almqvist. Lashoff is big and mean and simple, and they like big and mean and simple. Almqvist could be the second coming of Timonen. Kindl could be a low-risk high-reward add.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Too long for a guy like that

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

We're annoyed because it is guys like Paul Holmgren who have created this "reality". Throwing money at guys who don't deserve it.   I don't care who you play for, a d-man worth $5M per doesn't finish -22 and 28 points. Every defenseman should be judge on a Nick Lidstrom scale. How much did the best d-man of the generation make in his last year? $6M?
If you negotiate like that no player will re-sign. Every forward would be compared to Gretzky...

The market for defenders this year is at an all-time bad, Amac would have been on of the best available defenseman, his agent he and Holmer knew it. The Flyers prospect pool ie one of the worst in the league so they need to overpay for talent and this is far from a crazy contract. The cap keeps rising Timonen will be off the books.

Look I'm not trying to say this contract is great but it is indeed market value for a guy like Amac. Is Phaneuf worth 7 million per ? No he would have gotten that come July 1 it's as simple as that. I'm always trying to look at things from a player point of view they have a once in a lifetime chance to go to UFA if you want them to give that up, the GM better pays well a hockey career isn't that long and they need to cash in.

Edited by frankgrimes, 16 April 2014 - 03:46 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#29 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

from a $550k cap hit to $5m in one swish of the pen, he must have thought he died and gone to heaven!!

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

If you negotiate like that no player will re-sign. Every forward would be compared to Gretzky...

The market for defenders this year is at an all-time bad, Amac would have been on of the best available defenseman, his agent he and Holmer knew it. The Flyers prospect pool ie one of the worst in the league so they need to overpay for talent and this is far from a crazy contract. The cap keeps rising Timonen will be off the books.

Look I'm not trying to say this contract is great but it is indeed market value for a guy like Amac. Is Phaneuf worth 7 million per ? No he would have gotten that come July 1 it's as simple as that. I'm always trying to look at things from a player point of view they have a once in a lifetime chance to go to UFA if you want them to give that up, the GM better pays well a hockey career isn't that long and they need to cash in.

It doesn't matter which way you slice it. This is a bad contract, and like usual they'll regret it

#31 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

It doesn't matter which way you slice it. This is a bad contract, and like usual they'll regret it

Doesn't matter what you think, Amac to Holmer was worth 5 million per and so he got it as simple as that. Overpayment is part of giving up UFA rights.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#32 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

LOL

Timonen, Kimmo »  $6,000,000 

Streit, Mark » 5,250,000  $5,250,000  $5,250,000  $5,250,000 

Pronger, Chris »  35+ LTIR $4,941,429  $4,941,429  $4,941,429  $4,941,429 

Coburn, Braydon »   $4,500,000  $4,500,000  $4,500,000 

Schenn, Luke » $3,600,000  $3,600,000  $3,600,000 

Grossmann, N. » $3,500,000  $3,500,000  $3,500,000 

Gustafsson, Erik »   $1,000,000 

Gill, Hal »   $700,000 

MacDonald, Andrew »   $550,000  $5,000,000  $5,000,000  $5,000,000  $5,000,000  $5,000,000  $5,000,000 

»