• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

I think this proves Holland did try something to improve the defense. I'm glad Feaster declined. Perhaps Nyquist and Tatar weren't considered that special by scouts? Glad it worked out for the Wings.

We like our team and our management.

#42 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

So mixed...on the one hand it's good that he tried to lock down a good defenseman to address that hole. But how did Holland plan on replacing the holes in scoring depth?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

This sounds bogus to me.  Holland would be a fool to offer that and Feaster would be a fool not to take it.  Ultimately he took a much worse package in that deal.  Don't get me wrong, Feaster is stupid, but even he doesn't turn down two grade A prospects for who worse prospects and a first.  Especially considering Bouwmeester was moving one way or another so he couldn't exactly hold out for more. 

Not buying it. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Last year I would have done that trade. JB is a bonafide top pairing defenseman. This year I'm glad holland didn't. The perks of hindsight.

#45 WingedWheel91

WingedWheel91

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I don't know why everyone is up in arms over this report.

At the time of the trade, April 1st 2013 - the Blue traded a 1st round draft pick, 22 year old Defense prospect Mark Cundari, and 26 year old Swiss league goalie Reto Berra for Bouwmeester.

In hindsight, I agree we certainly offered a better package with players who are contributing at a much higher level today - but understand that at the time of the trade, Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar had combined for less than 10 points to that point in the season, on a team that was not in a playoff position. From a Calgary perspective, they probably questioned how much these undersized forwards would help them battle within their very tough division.

Did Feaster take the right deal? In hindsight, obviously not. But I'm sure at the time of the trade, with the market for Defenseman as bad as it was/is, there would have been more than a handful of members on this site who would have been on board. Funny how it works.  

#46 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Stop adding common sense to the hysteria!  LOL.  Obviously a year ago, no one had any idea how good Tatar and Nyquist would be.  They still may not even be that good once they are relegated to lesser roles once Z and D are both back full time. 

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Stop adding common sense to the hysteria!  LOL.  Obviously a year ago, no one had any idea how good Tatar and Nyquist would be.  They still may not even be that good once they are relegated to lesser roles once Z and D are both back full time. 

I agree that there's no need to be up in arms about something that didn't happen.  But I disagree that nobody knew how good Nyquist and Tatar would be.  A year ago they were both top twenty scorers in the AHL, and Nyquist was top two or three.  While that's not a guarantee of success in the NHL, it basically means they're among the 20 or so best players not currently playing in the NHL.  It's not like those two were unproven in the way a Mantha, or Frk, or Athanasiou are.  They basically had more value than almost anyone in the hockey world not playing in the NHL (and more than a lot of bottom six NHLers). 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#48 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

As there are no links to any credible sources, this is being moved to the Rumor section.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#49 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Who cares? Really without the David Legwand Trade we would not have made the Playoffs. Our Chances would have went down and down. So say's our Coach. Each team has it's own strengths and weaknesses. What's Important is we made it to the playoffs win or lose in the First Round. And I'll be in the New Throw Your Wings Up Video the 2014 Edition come when playoffs start for us hopefully on Friday.

We're in the playoffs cause of the kid line and nyquist as well as toronto choking .... Getting Legwand had no say in us getting in

#50 OnkSauce

OnkSauce

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Goose and Tatar probably would not have had anywhere near the success they have had in Detroit if they were playing in Calgary. Here they weren't fighting off vets for more playing time. As someone said before, the injuries were kind of a blessing in disguise because it really allowed the kid line to flourish.

#51 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

First you argue sheahan will be at best a 3rd center, then you try to reverse my own argument using terrible examples.. not sure if trolling or..

It's because your argument is nonsense. I was using Reductio ad absurdum to show how bad your argument was, it was a complete non sequitur. Just because I don't share your unrealistically optimistic assesment of Sheahan is only proof I don't share that view and nothing else. 

Learn proper argumentation. It helps you not look like a complete fool.

Edited by Shaman, 16 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

It's because your argument is nonsense. I was using Reductio ad absurdum to show how bad your argument was, it was a complete non sequitur. Just because I don't share your unrealistically optimistic assesment of Sheahan is only proof I don't share that view and nothing else. 

Using "big" words doesn't make your argument any more valid or help you come off as smarter, just makes you sound pompous. I can use numerous examples of why sheahan will be a top 6 center in a couple years. He's a big bodied physical player, and he has pretty decent hands and an awesome shot. With a little more development he will be top 6. This is his rookie year and he put up something like .5 ppg, but hey I'm just a fool I guess.

#53 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

I'd say the only non-sequiter here is jumping to conclusions.

Sheahan is yes a third line center right now, but he's still very young, and has had lots of success already in his rookie year. To completely slot him at 3rd his entire career would require a crystal ball. Twins point was a good one, and not absurd. Guys like Zetterberg were never projected to be 1st liners when they were drafted. Neither was Sheahan. To say he doesn't have any potential to make 1st line at this point in his career is absurd.

That's not optimism that's just argumentationizing