• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

ECQF Game 2 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Bruins 4 - Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

This is the best post in this thread.

We really need to come up with a way to score more goals. Did anyone expect Howard to win this game with us only scoring one goal two games in a row? I know i didn't.

The Bruins defense is tough, no question. We need to find a way to penetrate that D and score some goals. If we give Howard some goal support, we will be in good shape. If we continue to only score 1 goal per game, we aren't going to win many more games.

If you get 4 goals scored against you by a defensive first team it's usually to much to overcome. Of course, more goals are always better, but first our D and our goalie need to be up par before we can start talking about our lack of offense. Let's hope Wings can get it done with the last change and therefore better matchups at home. I'm still convinced they can beat Bruins, they prooved it in Game 1.

Edited by derblaueClaus

The thing is the Wings should not and can not engage into the physical stuff, the Bruins and everyone else knows it. So what are they trying to do run our guys over and hope for a reaction not rocket science but effective.

One thing to keep in mind other teams will have problems against this team too they are the best team in the east for a reason, so no shame in losing against them.

Agreed. I like that Smith stood up to Chara, but it pained me to see how frustrated Smith looked. He wasnt just pissed, he had totally lost it. And Chara laughed at him. So did the commentators, which I don't understand. Chara isn't a fighter, the only thing he had going for him was gargantuan reach.

The team cannot lose its cool.

And we have to improve our one man rushes. Our speed doesnt do any good if the skater is going up against all five Boston players and Rask. They need to support each other and crash thr net more. I'm tired of dump and chase, too.

Agreed. I like that Smith stood up to Chara, but it pained me to see how frustrated Smith looked. He wasnt just pissed, he had totally lost it. And Chara laughed at him. So did the commentators, which I don't understand. Chara isn't a fighter, the only thing he had going for him was gargantuan reach.

The team cannot lose its cool.

And we have to improve our one man rushes. Our speed doesnt do any good if the skater is going up against all five Boston players and Rask. They need to support each other and crash thr net more. I'm tired of dump and chase, too.

Exactly and that's one of the most difficult things playing against Boston, their D and goaltending is soo good and when your powerplay sucks, they don't fear taking penalties because the team can easily handle it. I applaud Smith for trying to go with Chara but in the end it would have been stupid and we can't afford to lose him our defense is already weak without him my oh my.. Chara may not be a fighter but the guy is so strong and his reach is almost unreal (his dad has been a pro wrestler).

It will be interesting how the Wings are going to bounce back from this, if they lose their cool again the outcome will be the same.

The thing is the Wings should not and can not engage into the physical stuff, the Bruins and everyone else knows it. So what are they trying to do run our guys over and hope for a reaction not rocket science but effective.

One thing to keep in mind other teams will have problems against this team too they are the best team in the east for a reason, so no shame in losing against them.

Best team in the NHL yet the doom and gloom in here like we lost to the friggin Maple Laughs.

A split is what we needed. We win 2 there and that's HUGE, but we got what we expected.

The team needs to quit trying to match Boston with physical play, play our game, let the refs [hopefully, maybe, probably not though] call the game properly, and go to the net. But fact is Boston simply could not go down 2 games in this series and expect to win. So they went out there and WON! I got no problem with the game, but if we play into their hands on Tuesday then maybe we can start bitching.

Franzen is invisible but Babcock is hopelessly devoted to the veterans that have got him here before. I can't see Franzen staying this s***ty all series ... I hope I am right.

Wings will be fine. And Chara was slow to drop the gloves .... cause he was doing Smith a favor? Yehhhhh right. Mucho respect to Smith yesterday getting pounded and pounded and never giving up.

Home ice is ours, no excuses about refs, Babcock's lines or physical play. This isn't soccer.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

The Chief has spoken:

http://kuklaskorner.com/a2y/comments/out-came-the-belt

The Wings were not outskilled yesterday. They weren't outcoached. They were beaten down. Their talent is not in question. Their manhood is. I have to think that the short plane ride from Boston last evening was pretty quiet.

This is not about the calls and not about goaltending. I know. Both are important. But neither are the storyline that will define this series. The entire thing is going to come down to whether the Wings are willing to hold on to the puck a little longer and absorb punishment like they've never had to endure, for the sake of speed.

This is not about Smith's dance with Chara. That was a sideshow. It meant nothing and nobody should be claiming it was an indication of anything. Coincidental roughing minors? Really? We're going to point to that as an indication...of what? Tempers?

This series is not going to be determined by toughness after the whistle. Character and courage between them will be the deciding factors. Grit. It's going to come down to the kind of grit that keeps a strong team from having their way with you in front of your own net, or in the corners.

Bang on, IMHO.

While one game isn't the end of the world, I don't see how anybody can be happy with the way the Wings played and were coached yesterday. It was a train wreck where discipline, effort and fundamentals were lacking everywhere. I can live with them losing a game or this series, but not playing like that. Calling out the Wings for an awful embarrassing showing does not make someone a fair weather fan.

On the Smith/Chara thing. People keep saying it would have been dumb to fight Chara, which it would have been, BUT....I've done plenty of dumb things in my life to prove a point. I'm about half Smith's size but I would have fought Chara to show them we were not backing down. It's a statement. Chara might be big, but that doesn't make him great at fighting. Plenty of big guys have been dropped by smaller guys.

If Chara was so confident he would have dropped his stick a lot sooner and left it there for more than half a second.

On the Smith/Chara thing. People keep saying it would have been dumb to fight Chara, which it would have been, BUT....I've done plenty of dumb things in my life to prove a point. I'm about half Smith's size but I would have fought Chara to show them we were not backing down. It's a statement. Chara might be big, but that doesn't make him great at fighting. Plenty of big guys have been dropped by smaller guys.

If Chara was so confident he would have dropped his stick a lot sooner and left it there for more than half a second.

I'm all about standing up for yourself, but even I think fighting Chara would be dumb. Smith would have been tossed around like a rag doll much like Chara did with Exelby. Only way forward is to score on the PP and use that team speed to create chances from the rush and from turnovers.

I'm all about standing up for yourself, but even I think fighting Chara would be dumb. Smith would have been tossed around like a rag doll much like Chara did with Exelby. Only way forward is to score on the PP and use that team speed to create chances from the rush and from turnovers.

Just get the first hit in, and make it count. I'm sure he could have gone for the sack too, it would have only cost $5000. At that, he could have just claimed that was eye level.

Edited by rrasco

The KK article made me think of the speech Rocky gives in Rocky Balboa: "But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."

It sounds counterintuitive, and maybe even cowardly, but the team doesn't stand a chance if it plays Boston's game. They don't have to run when challenged, but don't get frustrated like Smith got yesterday. You could see a wildness in his lack of composure. It's good entertainment, but remember how Boston started to get a little rattled in Game 1 when the Wings didn't play into their hands? That's how it should be. Stretched out over a couple of games it can really throw Boston off their game. Grind. Take the hits you can't avoid, but keep going. They've done it before.

Of course, that only matters if our power play can enter the zone and shoot the puck more than once a power play.

Best team in the NHL yet the doom and gloom in here like we lost to the friggin Maple Laughs.

A split is what we needed. We win 2 there and that's HUGE, but we got what we expected.

And Chara was slow to drop the gloves .... cause he was doing Smith a favor? Yehhhhh right. Mucho respect to Smith yesterday getting pounded and pounded and never giving up.

Home ice is ours, no excuses about refs, Babcock's lines or physical play. This isn't soccer.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

Chara would have won that's not even a question. Sometimes confidence is good but overconfidence never is.

Bruins will continue to go hard to the net, so the Wings need to fix the PP and especially their transition game, because it will be the key in this series. And as always I'm expecting a good effort ands ee where it goes realism is not doom and gloom it's jsut accepting that the other team is better. This is the almost same defense which shutdown Malkin and Crosby

Exactly. Smith just stood there and let that neanderthal laugh at him.

If I was in Smith's place I would have dropped my gloves and fed Chara my fist while he was busy laughing. Sure, I probably would have gotten my ass kicked after that, but I would have proven I'm not going to be pushed around and targeted.

Beyond that, the Wings got rattled and didn't respond well, and that wasn't coaching. Babcock told them to ignore the crap, they didn't, that's on them.

The Wings have to bend without breaking. But that's much easier said than done, especially when yesterday was, for a number of our players, their first real taste of an elite team in ruthless desperation mode. Look at the job Z did on Toews, and Z wasn't even running his ass into the glass at every opportunity like the Bruins are doing to Smith. (And it's not like they just picked Smith's name out of a hat and said, "OK, he's the one we're gonna work on." They know what they're doing.)

I think Game 1 should be a general template, but the team shouldn't think for one second that it's going to be remotely that easy to claim win #2, never mind 3 and 4. The Bruins have a much better idea of what they're dealing with, and they're not terribly impressed. The best thing we can do right now is follow our game plan to its true logical conclusion, which is, quite simply, that we need to make them pay with our power play. Our speed and skill is nice, but even when we were frustrating them, it was a ridiculous play by Datsyuk that won it for us. We need a legitimate hammer. We need a power play, not whatever the flying f*** it is that we've been calling a power play for how many straight postseasons now?