:unhappy:  :unhappy:  :unhappy: 

unhappy that the wings lost tonight,gonna tie the series on thursday though

#902 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

He brought his 41 year old body and bad back with him.  Does Zetterberg's bad back mean he doesn't want another cup?

My point is veteran leadership.  He could bring that, perhaps.  And I have no doubt about Zetterberg at all.  This is probably killing him.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#903 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

He didn't have to shut them out in Game 2.  The Wings made it a 2-1 game and Howard lets in a somewhat soft goal late in the second period to totally deflate the team.  How different would that game have looked only down 1 goal and the team skating well.  That is what I meant  by the timing of the goals.

Really you mean the tic tac toe play back door to lucic, that smith was out to lunch on and Howard still got a piece of it Hahahahaha... Easy the nicest goal all series... Okay got it!

#904 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

So, the stupid and completely unavoidable penalty and the awful line change did not contribute at all?  Or, they were Howard's fault?  Garbage.  I refuse to even consider the rest of your post at all because it includes that B.S.

You have to put a lot of words in my mouth to feel the way you do. I'd prefer it if you didn't do that.

Sure, that first goal came on a Bruins power play, but it wasn't a play that developed due to a unique power play situation. I don't think anyone sans the few going above and beyond to defend Howard are suggesting that it was anything but a weak, soft, absolutely unnecessary goal. Even Mickey Redmond who has a tendency of defending Howard couldn't defend him on that one, and the power play never came up in the conversation about the goal because it wasn't really a factor. As Mickey actually just said in the post-game, the Wings gave up two goals early on a platter, and that's the truth. I said earlier in the thread that the first goal was clearly on Howard and the second goal was clearly on the team performing a terrible line change. I didn't blame it on Howard and I did nothing to suggest that in my later thread.

Babcock post-game: "We gave them two goals."

-Elliot...does not panic.

#905 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Quick won the Conn Smythe a few years ago in one of the best goaltending performances ever.

Howard can't get past the 2nd round.  

I didn't post that with the intention of arguing that Howard is better than Quick, because I won't. It is more a point that yes, a goaltender can be responsible for losing games in the playoffs. Quick has solely been responsible for them being down 2-0 and having the series in a losing position right now. There is no denying that, he has been terrible.

Howard has been responsible for dropping one game. Holding him responsible for this game is illogical. His numbers have been excellent, he stole us a game, yet he's still getting the most heat. That's my point. Even the most elite can be awful at times and cause you to lose games. Howard has been solid, not stellar, but not bad either. 

The blame needs to be pointed at the offense and lack of effort and energy in the first half of tonight's game. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#906 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

My point is veteran leadership.  He could bring that, perhaps.  And I have no doubt about Zetterberg at all.  This is probably killing him.

He did not play tonight.  You are aware of that, right?  He played the first two games in some serious pain.  What exactly do you expect him to do?

#907 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

He didn't have to shut them out in Game 2.  The Wings made it a 2-1 game and Howard lets in a somewhat soft goal late in the second period to totally deflate the team.  How different would that game have looked only down 1 goal and the team skating well.  That is what I meant  by the timing of the goals.

How about some fire and bounce back from this team? You're going to give up goals, the key is to respond.

The crime isn't getting knocked down, the crime is not getting back up. - Lawrence Taylor

#908 MPT

MPT

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

It's clear that the goals aren't coming easy for us...

You mean they're not coming at all.  Goalies can't be expected to pitch a shutout every game, and even if he did, we'd STILL be playing Game 3 right now because they scored ZERO goals.

... so to give up such awful goals early on is just completely unacceptable.

Do you mean the goal where three of our players let a rookie defenseman skate right up to the faceoff dots and plant a shot over Howard's shoulder, or the one where they got caught on an abysmal line change that resulted in Howard facing down two Bruins by himself?  Look for another scapegoat.  You could pretty much point the finger at anyone but Howard (this game-- I won't deny his awful play on the first goal in Game 2).  

Veterans are coasting around like they're ready for retirement, rookies are playing like chickens with their heads cut off, we're losing every single puck battle, no one can put a shot on net that doesn't hit either a Bruin or the end-boards, passes are way off the mark almost every time, and they look like babies being manhandled all over the ice.  They have no fire and no confidence, and Howard isn't to blame for any of that.

#909 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

I didn't post that with the intention of arguing that Howard is better than Quick, because I won't. It is more a point that yes, a goaltender can be responsible for losing games in the playoffs. Quick has solely been responsible for them being down 2-0 and having the series in a losing position right now. There is no denying that, he has been terrible.

Howard has been responsible for dropping one game. Holding him responsible for this game is illogical. His numbers have been excellent, he stole us a game, yet he's still getting the most heat. That's my point. Even the most elite can be awful at times and cause you to lose games. Howard has been solid, not stellar, but not bad either. 

The blame needs to be pointed at the offense and lack of effort and energy in the first half of tonight's game. 

Fans are less likely to blame a goalie who's a few seasons removed from taking the franchise where it's never been before.

Howard is playing in Hockeytown and can't get past the 2nd round.  Of course our fans are going to react more harshly than LA fans towards Quick.  A player has to prove himself before he can get some kind of immunity from a fanbase.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#910 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Would it have really been that much worse if instead of Andersson we had Bert or Tootoo in the lineup?

#911 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

You have to put a lot of words in my mouth to feel the way you do. I'd prefer it if you didn't do that.

Sure, that first goal came on a Bruins power play, but it wasn't a play that developed due to a unique power play situation. I don't think anyone sans the few going above and beyond to defend Howard are suggesting that it was anything but a weak, soft, absolutely unnecessary goal. Even Mickey Redmond who has a tendency of defending Howard couldn't defend him on that one, and the power play never came up in the conversation about the goal because it wasn't really a factor. As Mickey actually just said in the post-game, the Wings gave up two goals early on a platter, and that's the truth. I said earlier in the thread that the first goal was clearly on Howard and the second goal was clearly on the team performing a terrible line change. I didn't blame it on Howard and I did nothing to suggest that in my later thread.

Babcock post-game: "We gave them two goals."

Babcock basically said that first goal can not go in.

#912 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Really you mean the tic tac toe play back door to lucic, that smith was out to lunch on and Howard still got a piece of it Hahahahaha... Easy the nicest goal all series... Okay got it!

Did you miss the part where you said Howard still got a piece of it?  That means he should have had it.  

#913 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Would it have really been that much worse if instead of Andersson we had Bert or Tootoo in the lineup?

Tootoo would at least fire up the crowd and not be afraid to drop the gloves against a player any size. 

Babcock and Holland don't like players like that.  I still don't know why they signed Tootoo.  I also don't know why they obtained Legwand and have put him on a line with jobbers.  Maybe they're punishing former Nashville players.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 April 2014 - 09:50 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#914 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

no goals can go in, since we can't score any.  ;)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#915 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Haha, Boston post-game show:

"Next we'll hear from the loser goaltender Jimmy Howard". 

Yep. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#916 MPT

MPT

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

Smith played the least of every D man. Surprise the only one who was even. Best player all night for the Wings. Franzen played 20 minutes Helm barely got 13.30.

I agree.  Smith looked really good tonight-- skating fast, hitting hard, not taking any s*** from the Bruins.  He was the only one who looked like he wanted to win.  Really wish that one hit had blown out Marchand's knee and ended his career though.  Instead Marchand just faked an injury and drew a penalty like he always does.

#917 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

How about some fire and bounce back from this team? You're going to give up goals, the key is to respond.

The crime isn't getting knocked down, the crime is not getting back up. - Lawrence Taylor

When you have a talented veteran team, that is easily doable.  When you have a weak defense and a lot of kids on offense, it's easier said than done.  The only place that should be solidified is goaltending.  They have a veteran goalie who is in his prime and is healthy.  You're going to give up goals, but they shouldn't be soft goals.  

#918 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Can we please get some seriously mean net driving guys? I don't understand the passiveness if the team and alot of fans acceptance. Can we please get a nasty nasty individual with skill?
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#919 MPT

MPT

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Did you miss the part where you said Howard still got a piece of it?  That means he should have had it.  

If that were true, goalies should have about a .990 save percentage.  That's an asinine assessment to make.

#920 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Tootoo would at least fire up the crowd and not be afraid to drop the gloves against a player any size. 

Babcock and Holland don't like players like that.  I still don't know why they signed Tootoo.  I also don't know why they obtained Legwand and have put him on a line with jobbers.  Maybe they're punishing former Nashville players.  

I'm still trying to figure out why Tootoo signed here. Basically ended his own career.