• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Matt Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee hit

Rate this topic

NEW YORK (NY) -- The NHL's Department of Player Safety today announced that Patrick Kaleta has been suspended for 25 games as a result of Matt Cooke's illegal knee-on-knee hit on Colorado defenseman Tyson Barrie.

I don't get the joke

I don't think he should be kicked out....yet. But I think it should be like a 41 game suspension plus the rest of playoffs this year. Then if he still doesn't get it. Get rid of him.

They should tell him in no uncertain manner that this will be his last suspension after that he is GONE. It's funny when all the soccerwriters are claiming that "fights are giving hockey a bad name" no, it's douchebags like him who don't care nor respect the wellbeing of other players. And I would say exactly the same thing if Cooke would be a Wing, well I guess not because I wouldn't cheer for a team giving him a job.

Must be nice when he is coming home to his loved ones and tells them what he accomplished today...disgusting.

Edited by frankgrimes

With all of his experience with suspendable offences, he would make a great replacement for Shanahan. Can he do "voiceovers" on videos?

Well said it would be hilarious "as you can see here the guy is going for the same cheapshots I've been known for, I got 15 games so he gets 15 too"

then...video...

this is a cooke like a hit, so the departement of players safety has suspended player x for 15 games according to the cooke rule.

Why would any one want to give him another chance?????? He's not some kid. He knows better and has run out chances but because of the new rules he is not considered a repeat offender???

It turns out the repeat offender status is really about withheld wages. Kerry Fraser clarifies (by citing Bob McKenzie) in his column on TSN (emphasis mine).

My colleague and friend Bob McKenzie shared the following information with me that should address your questions. A player's record is expunged if he goes 18 months without an infraction but that only applies to the formula for calculating lost wages. If a player has a fine or suspension in last 18 months, he's a repeat offender and the lost wages formula is based on number of games suspended (5/82 for a five game suspension) as opposed to number of days (5/182 for a five game suspension in a 182-day regular season).

But a player's "history" stays with him as a permanent record and the NHL can take into account any or all past transgressions when determining length of a suspension.

History doesn't allow the NHL to suspend a player who, if not for his history, wouldn't be suspended. But once an illegal play has taken place, the NHL can use Matt Cooke's history as part of his sentencing even if his transgressions were years ago.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=450109

From NHL:

NEW YORK -– Minnesota Wild forward Matt Cooke has been suspended seven games for kneeing Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie during Game Three of the teams' First Round Stanley Cup Playoffs series in St. Paul on Monday, April 21, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

No word on whether the event was catered.

The Wild fan in me hates this. The hockey fan in me thinks it should have been much longer.

Maybe he'll see the light and change his game and become a productive player. Again.

Yeah the only people with a problem are Wild fans. So when they get bounced, this will be there reason why they lost.

To help reduce my annoyance, and why I will always be a fan of Evander Kane:

Beautiful right cross on the chin from Kane. Matt Cooke is a dirty player and I just can't understand how his continued actions haven't reached double-digit game suspensions yet. Weak.

Guest DeGraa55

To help reduce my annoyance, and why I will always be a fan of Evander Kane:

Made my night.

Cooke gets SEVEN games:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/duhatschek-the-old-matt-cooke-shows-up-again/article18090425/

The article doesn't mention the seven games but that's what he got. This is more on an anti-Cooke column

Edited by Jersey Wing