Photo
- - - - -

Do you want Jonas Gustavsson re-signed?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Gustavsson re-signed?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you want the Wings to re-sign Jonas Gustavsson?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,744 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Rather easy choice here in my opinion, I say bring him back on a similar deal he signed to begin with. Easily one of the Wings' MVP's the first half of the season. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

I don't feel he's reliable enough with his health. Skill-wise I have no complaints of his play this year, but Mrazek has been fantastic in both skill and health all season. I wouldn't complain if we brought him back cheap like you say, because we will still have Mrazek waiting in the wings to call up when he strains his groin again...

#3 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

Mrazek is the real deal, and will only get better with more experience. All he does is win in every level he has played in, and has been fantastic while doing so. Gus has helped in the first half of the season, but he has always been inconsistent, and he is always getting hurt. It is time for Mrazek to get his experience in at the NHL level so he can eventually steal Howard's job. 

Mrazek has done nothing but impress in his limited NHL playing time that I've seen. He has nothing left to prove in the AHL. I was actually kind of bummed out he had to spend this season with the Griffins. Leaving him in the AHL next season would be like leaving Nyquist in the AHL all this season. It just can't happen. I guess it's a good thing Cleary doesn't play goalie. 

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

I'm fine with Monster for one more season, He came up big for us when Howard was injured and got valuable wins. 

Mrazek hasn't proven anything to me yet, he needs more time under his belt. He had two wins in six starts this season and nothing about that screams to me "trusted backup". If Howard went down for an extended period of time, as it sits right now, I have more confidence in Monster carrying the load for a few weeks over Mrazek.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

I put no, but there should be another option. No, sign somebody else. Mrazek isn't ready, but Monster is too injury prone.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#6 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

What we really need is a goalie willing to sign a 1 year deal. The problem with that is that there aren't many around. Nabokov, Bryz, Brodeur, and Dubnyk are the only ones that I could foresee possibly signing one year deals. But do we really want any of those guys? I don't. Maybe Nabokov but he was mediocre at best this year. If Gustavsson wants to stay on a 1 year deal I'd be okay with seeing him in the winged wheel. If not, I'd definitely bring up Mrazek simply due to lack of other viable back up options.

Maybe Toronto would trade us Reimer's rights for our scraps. Callahan and Ferraro or something late at the draft. He could sign a 1 year deal as a show-me contract that would bring him into ufa status.

Edited by nawein, 24 April 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

What we really need is a goalie willing to sign a 1 year deal. The problem with that is that there aren't many around. Nabokov, Bryz, Brodeur, and Dubnyk are the only ones that I could foresee possibly signing one year deals. But do we really want any of those guys? I don't. Maybe Nabokov but he was mediocre at best this year. If Gustavsson wants to stay on a 1 year deal I'd be okay with seeing him in the winged wheel. If not, I'd definitely bring up Mrazek simply due to lack of other viable back up options.

Maybe Toronto would trade us Reimer's rights for our scraps. Callahan and Ferraro or something late at the draft. He could sign a 1 year deal as a show-me contract that would bring him into ufa status.

I'd take one of the previous 4 you mentioned over Reimer. Remember toward the end of the season when we were neck and neck with Toronto for a playoff spot? Then Bernier gets injured and Reimer helped them along magnificently during their crash and burn losing skid. He was flat out awful during that desperate situation, no thanks on him.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#8 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

I'd take one of the previous 4 you mentioned over Reimer. Remember toward the end of the season when we were neck and neck with Toronto for a playoff spot? Then Bernier gets injured and Reimer helped them along magnificently during their crash and burn losing skid. He was flat out awful during that desperate situation, no thanks on him.

This is all true. I still think I'd rather have him than any of the others though, except maybe Nabokov. I'm on the fence about him. Brodeur isn't very good anymore and wants to start, Dubnyk has lost pretty much every job he's had this year,and Bryz is weird and wouldn't mesh well at all with the way we do things here.

Like you said, Reimer was brutal down the stretch. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt though. His team was playing poorly, he was a backup in a starting role trying to keep his team in the playoffs, he was a goalie in Toronto and all the fans were on him really hard, and Carlyle essentially told the media that he had no confidence in him. All of that on a young guy can't be easy, especially when you're already down on yourself because you can't seem to get a win even when you do make a few good saves. His confidence was shattered, something that wouldn't happen here because that's not how we do things. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn into Tukka Rask, but I think he could be a suitable backup while Mrazek gets one more year of seasoning.

Of course as always I could be wrong and it could turn out horribly and we trade a few NHL ready pieces for some blown games. I'm just tryong to come up with a way to keep Petr in GR because I don't think Gus is going to be willing to sign a 1 year deal after the year he had this year.

#9 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Gustavsson wasn't that good, his W-L record doesn't reflect what he actually did when he played. He got a lot of wins giving up 4 goals.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#10 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

I would take Vokoun on a 2 year deal to push Howard. Howard has no challenge right now, so he is complacent... Vokoun can push jimmy for quality starts.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#11 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Mrazek up and split with Howard. I feel Mrazek can be an All Star if given the opportunity

I would take Vokoun on a 2 year deal to push Howard. Howard has no challenge right now, so he is complacent... Vokoun can push jimmy for quality starts.

so can Mrazek at a fraction of the cost

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Honestly, I don't really feel strongly one way or the other. Gus has been fine, but we might as well call up Mrazek. Eventually he has to make the jump and every goalie has to start as a backup so the whole "get starts in the AHL vs. sitting in the NHL" doesn't hold water. If they want to go with a healthier backup, I approve. If they bring back Gustavsson that's okay, too. Backup is not our issue. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm fine with Monster for one more season, He came up big for us when Howard was injured and got valuable wins. 

Mrazek hasn't proven anything to me yet, he needs more time under his belt. He had two wins in six starts this season and nothing about that screams to me "trusted backup". If Howard went down for an extended period of time, as it sits right now, I have more confidence in Monster carrying the load for a few weeks over Mrazek.

I agree.  Plus, Mrazek can get #1 goalie work with the Griffins as opposed to riding the pine for 60+ games in the NHL.

Resign The Monster for one year at the same contract hit.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#14 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

This was a tough answer. I like him when he's healthy, which he never is. I put yes but am actually rather indifferent at this point.

#15 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Didn't Vokoun say he was done after this year? Or essentially along those lines anyways?

#16 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'm all for Mrazek. The Monster story, year in and year out, of, "he's a slow starter" and his wonky groin have worn thin with me. Bring up Petr, split games 40-60 and let him get some work under his belt. If he doesn't get some NHL work he's going to eventually leave free-agent and we get nothing for him

"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels

#17 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

As a backup? Yes,why not?

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#18 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

For sure, Gus like the other Gustav is a big reason why thisteam is in the playoffs for the 23time in a row. In all honesty I think he will be looking to sign somewhere else and become a starter, guy deserves it and some places will for sure have ope roster spots come off-season.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#19 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

He has nothing left to prove in the AHL, and he will not get any better playing in that league at this point. Mrazek has shown he can be brilliant in net. Don't let his win/loss fool you, he had jack s*** goal support in most of those losses. 

He does need more time under his belt yes, but at the NHL level.Hard to have confidence in Monster when he spends half the season on IR.

#20 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

No.  He simply isn't reliable enough health-wise.  What's the point in having a back-up who is injured half the year?

Not to mention we'll only offer him a 1 year deal, and chances are he'll get a 2 year deal somewhere else.

Mrazek is ready to be given an opportunity.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk