• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Do you want Jonas Gustavsson re-signed?

Rate this topic

Do you want Gustavsson re-signed?   

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't feel he's reliable enough with his health. Skill-wise I have no complaints of his play this year, but Mrazek has been fantastic in both skill and health all season. I wouldn't complain if we brought him back cheap like you say, because we will still have Mrazek waiting in the wings to call up when he strains his groin again...

Mrazek is the real deal, and will only get better with more experience. All he does is win in every level he has played in, and has been fantastic while doing so. Gus has helped in the first half of the season, but he has always been inconsistent, and he is always getting hurt. It is time for Mrazek to get his experience in at the NHL level so he can eventually steal Howard's job.

Mrazek has done nothing but impress in his limited NHL playing time that I've seen. He has nothing left to prove in the AHL. I was actually kind of bummed out he had to spend this season with the Griffins. Leaving him in the AHL next season would be like leaving Nyquist in the AHL all this season. It just can't happen. I guess it's a good thing Cleary doesn't play goalie.

I'm fine with Monster for one more season, He came up big for us when Howard was injured and got valuable wins.

Mrazek hasn't proven anything to me yet, he needs more time under his belt. He had two wins in six starts this season and nothing about that screams to me "trusted backup". If Howard went down for an extended period of time, as it sits right now, I have more confidence in Monster carrying the load for a few weeks over Mrazek.

What we really need is a goalie willing to sign a 1 year deal. The problem with that is that there aren't many around. Nabokov, Bryz, Brodeur, and Dubnyk are the only ones that I could foresee possibly signing one year deals. But do we really want any of those guys? I don't. Maybe Nabokov but he was mediocre at best this year. If Gustavsson wants to stay on a 1 year deal I'd be okay with seeing him in the winged wheel. If not, I'd definitely bring up Mrazek simply due to lack of other viable back up options.

Maybe Toronto would trade us Reimer's rights for our scraps. Callahan and Ferraro or something late at the draft. He could sign a 1 year deal as a show-me contract that would bring him into ufa status.

Edited by nawein

What we really need is a goalie willing to sign a 1 year deal. The problem with that is that there aren't many around. Nabokov, Bryz, Brodeur, and Dubnyk are the only ones that I could foresee possibly signing one year deals. But do we really want any of those guys? I don't. Maybe Nabokov but he was mediocre at best this year. If Gustavsson wants to stay on a 1 year deal I'd be okay with seeing him in the winged wheel. If not, I'd definitely bring up Mrazek simply due to lack of other viable back up options.

Maybe Toronto would trade us Reimer's rights for our scraps. Callahan and Ferraro or something late at the draft. He could sign a 1 year deal as a show-me contract that would bring him into ufa status.

I'd take one of the previous 4 you mentioned over Reimer. Remember toward the end of the season when we were neck and neck with Toronto for a playoff spot? Then Bernier gets injured and Reimer helped them along magnificently during their crash and burn losing skid. He was flat out awful during that desperate situation, no thanks on him.

I'd take one of the previous 4 you mentioned over Reimer. Remember toward the end of the season when we were neck and neck with Toronto for a playoff spot? Then Bernier gets injured and Reimer helped them along magnificently during their crash and burn losing skid. He was flat out awful during that desperate situation, no thanks on him.

This is all true. I still think I'd rather have him than any of the others though, except maybe Nabokov. I'm on the fence about him. Brodeur isn't very good anymore and wants to start, Dubnyk has lost pretty much every job he's had this year,and Bryz is weird and wouldn't mesh well at all with the way we do things here.

Like you said, Reimer was brutal down the stretch. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt though. His team was playing poorly, he was a backup in a starting role trying to keep his team in the playoffs, he was a goalie in Toronto and all the fans were on him really hard, and Carlyle essentially told the media that he had no confidence in him. All of that on a young guy can't be easy, especially when you're already down on yourself because you can't seem to get a win even when you do make a few good saves. His confidence was shattered, something that wouldn't happen here because that's not how we do things. I don't think he's going to suddenly turn into Tukka Rask, but I think he could be a suitable backup while Mrazek gets one more year of seasoning.

Of course as always I could be wrong and it could turn out horribly and we trade a few NHL ready pieces for some blown games. I'm just tryong to come up with a way to keep Petr in GR because I don't think Gus is going to be willing to sign a 1 year deal after the year he had this year.

Mrazek up and split with Howard. I feel Mrazek can be an All Star if given the opportunity

I would take Vokoun on a 2 year deal to push Howard. Howard has no challenge right now, so he is complacent... Vokoun can push jimmy for quality starts.

so can Mrazek at a fraction of the cost

Honestly, I don't really feel strongly one way or the other. Gus has been fine, but we might as well call up Mrazek. Eventually he has to make the jump and every goalie has to start as a backup so the whole "get starts in the AHL vs. sitting in the NHL" doesn't hold water.

If they want to go with a healthier backup, I approve. If they bring back Gustavsson that's okay, too. Backup is not our issue.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I'm fine with Monster for one more season, He came up big for us when Howard was injured and got valuable wins.

Mrazek hasn't proven anything to me yet, he needs more time under his belt. He had two wins in six starts this season and nothing about that screams to me "trusted backup". If Howard went down for an extended period of time, as it sits right now, I have more confidence in Monster carrying the load for a few weeks over Mrazek.

I agree. Plus, Mrazek can get #1 goalie work with the Griffins as opposed to riding the pine for 60+ games in the NHL.

Resign The Monster for one year at the same contract hit.

I would take Vokoun on a 2 year deal to push Howard. Howard has no challenge right now, so he is complacent... Vokoun can push jimmy for quality starts.

Didn't Vokoun say he was done after this year? Or essentially along those lines anyways?

I'm all for Mrazek. The Monster story, year in and year out, of, "he's a slow starter" and his wonky groin have worn thin with me. Bring up Petr, split games 40-60 and let him get some work under his belt. If he doesn't get some NHL work he's going to eventually leave free-agent and we get nothing for him

For sure, Gus like the other Gustav is a big reason why thisteam is in the playoffs for the 23time in a row. In all honesty I think he will be looking to sign somewhere else and become a starter, guy deserves it and some places will for sure have ope roster spots come off-season.

He has nothing left to prove in the AHL, and he will not get any better playing in that league at this point. Mrazek has shown he can be brilliant in net. Don't let his win/loss fool you, he had jack s*** goal support in most of those losses.

He does need more time under his belt yes, but at the NHL level.Hard to have confidence in Monster when he spends half the season on IR.

No. He simply isn't reliable enough health-wise. What's the point in having a back-up who is injured half the year?

Not to mention we'll only offer him a 1 year deal, and chances are he'll get a 2 year deal somewhere else.

Mrazek is ready to be given an opportunity.

I'm more leaning toward no, but I guess I wouldn't be disappointed if he did re-sign.

Another thing to consider would be if HE wants to re-sign. He came here during prior to a critical contract year for Jimmy, and had an opportunity to push for the starting job. Now that Jimmy is the starter for the foreseeable future, that window has closed, and he now has Mrazek pushing hard to take his job in the very near future. I'm wondering if maybe Gustavsson might hit the market in the hopes of getting one last opportunity to be a starter.

IMO, the Red Wings could do better. Lets look at some facts:

-In Gustavsson's 2 (technically 1.5 with the shortened season) seasons with Detroit, he has been injured for multiple game stretches a total of 6 times.

-He was really only consistent for a 2-3 month stretch at the beginning of this season. After missing a month with his second groin injury (third overall injury of the season), his numbers were lackluster from then on. In 10 appearances (9 starts) from January on, he went 5-2-2 with a 3.04GAA and a .896SV%.

If the Wings are looking for a one year stop gap back up, there are better, probably cheaper and MUCH more durable options available in this summers UFA group.

-Thomas Greiss, Justin Peters, Al Montoya and Carter Hutton all played second fiddle on non-playoff teams for at least 50% less than Gustavsson made this season and had better GAA and SV% numbers. Between the four, only one injury came up. Montoya missed the Jets last 7 games with a hamstring injury. That's it. The other three were ready to go all season.

-Curtis McElhinney put up similar GAA and SV% numbers and made nearly 1/3rd of Gustavsson's salary.

-Chad Johnson Johnson put up some real solid numbers, but that was while backstopping the best team in the league.

Obviously Jaroslav Halak, Jonas Hiller, Ryan Miller and Bryan Elliot will be looking for 100% open starting jobs, but there are some veteran former starters that might take a backup job for the right price like Brodeur, Thomas, Bryzgalov, Nabokov and Emery. However, I would think they might be more apt to find starting opportunities, or an open back up spots for teams that will be favored to win a Cup.

There's also the possibility of Cam Ward getting a compliance buyout this summer. Maybe he could be had cheap for a year in hopes a change of scenery can get his play back?

Another one is Devan Dubnyk. He had an off year, but had posted some pretty good numbers playing behind some awful Oilers teams. He'll probably come cheap and might be a serviceable backup for a much better team.

I noticed someone mention Reimer in here too. I'm not sure about this one. He'd probably make a good backup and would be reasonably priced. He'd probably also play well since he'd likely only sign for a year so he can hit the UFA market in 2015 and get a starting job. The question is, what would it take to get him from Toronto? And would Toronto even want to deal him to a division rival?

I'd also be open to Mrazek getting the back up spot, but if he does I would hope that Holland gets someone with some NHL experience to play #3 in GR. That way they don't have to throw Coreau or Paterson in the fire if Mrazek and Howard happen to get overlapping injuries. It would also give them someone to ride the pine if Howard or Mrazek get injured, so Coreau and Paterson can keep playing in GR/Toledo. This person could also backup Jimmy if Mrazek struggles and they decide to give him some more time in GR.

In conclusion, I think the team has better options than Gustavsson.

-Thomas Greiss, Justin Peters, Al Montoya and Carter Hutton all played second fiddle on non-playoff teams for at least 50% less than Gustavsson made this season and had better GAA and SV% numbers. Between the four, only one injury came up. Montoya missed the Jets last 7 games with a hamstring injury. That's it. The other three were ready to go all season.

This is the path I would take. These guys are inexpensive. I'd pick one and go into camp with the backup spot open for battle between Mrazek and the veteran signee. Winner stays and backs up Howard, loser goes to Grand Rapids and starts, with Paterson backing him up. Another option would be to bring McCollum back into the fold, start him at GR, and send Mrazek down and call up McCollum if Mrazek sits for too long and needs playing time.

Mrazek would benefit from playing 55 AHL games, but he would also benefit from playing 25 NHL games.

This is the path I would take. These guys are inexpensive. I'd pick one and go into camp with the backup spot open for battle between Mrazek and the veteran signee. Winner stays and backs up Howard, loser goes to Grand Rapids and starts, with Paterson backing him up. Another option would be to bring McCollum back into the fold, start him at GR, and send Mrazek down and call up McCollum if Mrazek sits for too long and needs playing time.

Mrazek would benefit from playing 55 AHL games, but he would also benefit from playing 25 NHL games.

I only wonder if one of those guys would sign here if they knew they may not have a bigger guarantee for the back up spot.

I just don't know if I could keep my fingernails if your McCollum scenario became reality. If (God forbid) Howard goes down long term, we'd have to pray that Mrazek can handle the big load in his first full season. If not, they'll have to scramble to pull a goalie from another teams scrap head.

I'd feel better with someone that has been atleast an established AHL starter and may have have some NHL experience playing 3rd fiddle over McCollum. Someone like Joey MacDonald, Scott Clemmenson, Jason Labarbera etc.