• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Do you want Jonas Gustavsson re-signed?

Rate this topic

Do you want Gustavsson re-signed?   

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only reasons not to bring him back are if we decide it's better to get Mrazak going at the NHL level (doubt it) or if he wants too much money, though his injury issues will likely play some part in the decision (or at least keep his price cheap). But we did a lot of winning with him in an expanded backup role this year, and he posted descent numbers in the process. Yeah, it's not always pretty and can be downright scary at times, and he'll have his terrible games now and then, but generally speaking, we got a lot of value out of him as a backup this year, and honestly, we wouldn't be in the playoffs had he not played so well early on when Howard was struggling to get wins. Anyone who wants to start talking about him competing for the starting job are as crazy as those that did the same for guys like Legace (kill me over and over in a painful manner) and Conklin (at least it was infinitely less annoying and never actually lead to two playoff implosions...), but at around $1.5-1.75 million again for a year, he's a perfectly fine backup, even with the injuries.

Now on that note, if he's back next year, he likely wouldn't have to play as much as we have to think/hope that Howard is going to have a better regular season than he did this year. If that's the case, he won't be playing as much, which you'd think/hope would limit his injuries, though perhaps sitting for longer stretches could cause even more problems as practices only push guys so far. Granted if he goes down, it's an opportunity to give Mrazak some NHL time, which isn't so bad. And ultimately, if we end up having to rely on him more again because of more Howard struggles, we'd have bigger problems to sort out in goal than who the backup is anyways.

So to me, it makes sense if you get him for around the same money as he got the last couple years, though probably only sign him for one year. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw Mrazak in the NHL sooner than Howard, and while next year is probably too soon, the year after wouldn't shock me. Don't forget, the only reason Howard didn't make the team sooner is because he flat out didn't make the team, year after year. He had the opportunities but was out of shape earlier on and simply not good enough to be counted upon. He made the team in his last year because they were out of options and it was his last chance. Thankfully, he put a lot of the pieces together once he got into the NHL, but it was a long time coming. Again, I don't think we'll see the same thing for Mrazak.

Everyone keeps saying bring him back on a 1 year deal because he won a lot of games last year and played pretty well. You guys do realize he's going to want to be a starter, want more money than we want to give our backup, and probably a little job security past next season, right? He's earned that. If he signs a 1 year deal it will probably be with a team like Edmonton so he can prove he can be an everyday starter. I'd be very surprised if wanted to sign a 1 year deal with us.

I reconsidered and want him back. Not because of last night, but because I forgot he has a different style of play than Howard. Mixing it up is key to having a varied breakout.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Seriously?

Yes. Howard is good for 60-65 games per year. Next year will be the first season in 3 with a normal schedule-he can handle the workload. That means we need a backup for 20ish games. If McCollom is struggling at the halfway mark-meaning he has played 10 games we can bring up Mrasek at that point. If he is doing ok then we can trade him for a pick/prospect and bring up mrasek. Tom has played well the last 2 years-his best 2 years. His numbers at GR this year are GREAT! That is the trend-improvement every year. He is fine as a backup for 1 season, which is what we need.

Yes. Howard is good for 60-65 games per year. Next year will be the first season in 3 with a normal schedule-he can handle the workload. That means we need a backup for 20ish games. If McCollom is struggling at the halfway mark-meaning he has played 10 games we can bring up Mrasek at that point. If he is doing ok then we can trade him for a pick/prospect and bring up mrasek. Tom has played well the last 2 years-his best 2 years. His numbers at GR this year are GREAT! That is the trend-improvement every year. He is fine as a backup for 1 season, which is what we need.

At that point if you are one of the 29 other GM's in the league, what would you honestly trade for Thomas McCollum? Mind you at this point, he has had ONE solid AHL season and would have your alloted ten games on his resume.

If I desperately needed a backup for my AHL team, I might give Holland a conditional 7th rounder. The condition will be that Detroit gets the 7th if McCollum wins the Conn Smythe trophy that season.

LA got a 3rd for Scrivens, and Edmonton got a 4th for Bryzgalov during this season. Doing the math, McCollum gets an equal AHL plug or a nice hand written thank you note if another team actually wants to trade for him.

Every other team will already have a Thomas McCollum in their system. If he does somehow need to be moved off the Red Wings roster, it will be via waivers.

In all reality, if Mrazek doesn't get penciled in at #2 next season, the spot will be held by either Gustavsson or another proven NHL goalie.

Nope. Two years hes proven he cant stay healthy. What good is a backup who cant stay healthy even when playing limited games. As others have stated Monster played above himself the two months of the season. After the turn of the year he was pretty bad. Mrazek is up next year as backup. Hes done his time in the AHL. He backups primarily next year, plays about 10 more games the next, and then it becomes decision time between him and Howard. Patterson will be moving up to GR next season to take Mrazeks spot. The Wings best course of action is to find a good vet 3rd goalie whos willing to play in GR.

I voted for M...but can we get both of these guys up here and make Howard #3? :D

Who's M? And I would rather trade Howard then keep him as a third goalie, he's a starter and he's paid $5m/year, putting him as a third would be dumb and disrespectful, and may ruin his entire career. I know you were only half serious, but he has been quite good since his injuries stopped.

What are the chances that mrazek bolts if he's not promoted next year? I can see that happening.

He's on contract through the end of next season. I guarantee he will back up Jimmy, they need to know what they've got in him before they 're sign or release him

Who's M? And I would rather trade Howard then keep him as a third goalie, he's a starter and he's paid $5m/year, putting him as a third would be dumb and disrespectful, and may ruin his entire career. I know you were only half serious, but he has been quite good since his injuries stopped.

Hi ET...

I meant Mrazek i just didn't feel like scrolling up to see how his name is spelled ;). I do agree that if my scenario played they'd have to trade him. I was being half serious with making him 3, but I think we need to move in another direction. I dont' think he can be the goalie we need, and that's just my opinion. Seemed like every game down the stretch he was letting 3+ goals in (too lazy to look the stats up, sorry)...that's the eyeball test. It goes beyond this year for me. I thought with a great goalie we beat Chicago last year. Howard hsa never been out of the 2nd round. I just don't see it.. But, i guess it's possible if we get a lot better on defense. I just wish he would come up with those timely saves more often.

Hi ET...

I meant Mrazek i just didn't feel like scrolling up to see how his name is spelled ;). I do agree that if my scenario played they'd have to trade him. I was being half serious with making him 3, but I think we need to move in another direction. I dont' think he can be the goalie we need, and that's just my opinion. Seemed like every game down the stretch he was letting 3+ goals in (too lazy to look the stats up, sorry)...that's the eyeball test. It goes beyond this year for me. I thought with a great goalie we beat Chicago last year. Howard hsa never been out of the 2nd round. I just don't see it.. But, i guess it's possible if we get a lot better on defense. I just wish he would come up with those timely saves more often.

Y, I figured you meant mrazek, but. A bunch of people were talking about McCollum right before your post so I couldn't be sure

I'd resign Monster for a one year deal if for no other reason Jimmy does go on IR from time to time and I don't think Mrazek is ready for #1 type minutes should it be a bad injury.

I'd agree, bit the fact is mrazek will never be ready for those minutes if he doesn't start getting backup time in the nhl.

Gustavsson will probably control his own fate. Id Imagine he wants more than a 1 year deal, he will probably test the market before he signs a 1 year deal here. To be honest there are probably more attractive options out there for a guy like Gus than to hang around and wait for a kid to take his job. If I were him and I was offered 2 or 3 years somewhere else id take it for job security. After watching Tampa in the playoffs I could see Yzerman offer him 2/3 year deal to back up Bishop even though Gustavsson is injury prone. Gustavsson could stay here if his swedish buddies have any sort of influence.

Mrazek has done everything he needs to do in every league/tourney he has ever played in up to this point. When he was called up for the Wings, he was as solid as anyone could expect of him. In fact, in the nine games that he played in this season, he posted a better GAA and save% (1.74, .927) than Howard and Gustavsson, and is tied for the team lead in shutouts with two. Granted, nine games isn't that large of a sample size, but the only way to get him more games is to bring him on as a backup. I think he has demonstrated that he is ready.

We have bigger problems than between the pipes... I have no problem with Monster (if they can bring him back for cheap?) let's see how he handles tonight. We need somebody who's hungry and will push Howard, Mrazek could be that guy.

We need somebody who's not going to be injury/concussion prone.