Photo
- - - - -

Do you want Jonas Gustavsson re-signed?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Gustavsson re-signed?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you want the Wings to re-sign Jonas Gustavsson?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

I think a 1 or 2 year deal is the best option. Gives the Wings a short bridge/stop gap while Mrazek continues to develop further with regular playing time in GR.

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#22 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

I'm more leaning toward no, but I guess I wouldn't be disappointed if he did re-sign.

Another thing to consider would be if HE wants to re-sign. He came here during prior to a critical contract year for Jimmy, and had an opportunity to push for the starting job. Now that Jimmy is the starter for the foreseeable future, that window has closed, and he now has Mrazek pushing hard to take his job in the very near future. I'm wondering if maybe Gustavsson might hit the market in the hopes of getting one last opportunity to be a starter.

IMO, the Red Wings could do better. Lets look at some facts:

-In Gustavsson's 2 (technically 1.5 with the shortened season) seasons with Detroit, he has been injured for multiple game stretches a total of 6 times.

-He was really only consistent for a 2-3 month stretch at the beginning of this season. After missing a month with his second groin injury (third overall injury of the season), his numbers were lackluster from then on. In 10 appearances (9 starts) from January on, he went 5-2-2 with a 3.04GAA and a .896SV%.

If the Wings are looking for a one year stop gap back up, there are better, probably cheaper and MUCH more durable options available in this summers UFA group.

-Thomas Greiss, Justin Peters, Al Montoya and Carter Hutton all played second fiddle on non-playoff teams for at least 50% less than Gustavsson made this season and had better GAA and SV% numbers. Between the four, only one injury came up. Montoya missed the Jets last 7 games with a hamstring injury. That's it. The other three were ready to go all season.

-Curtis McElhinney put up similar GAA and SV% numbers and made nearly 1/3rd of Gustavsson's salary.

-Chad Johnson Johnson put up some real solid numbers, but that was while backstopping the best team in the league.

Obviously Jaroslav Halak, Jonas Hiller, Ryan Miller and Bryan Elliot will be looking for 100% open starting jobs, but there are some veteran former starters that might take a backup job for the right price like Brodeur, Thomas, Bryzgalov, Nabokov and Emery. However, I would think they might be more apt to find starting opportunities, or an open back up spots for teams that will be favored to win a Cup.

There's also the possibility of Cam Ward getting a compliance buyout this summer. Maybe he could be had cheap for a year in hopes a change of scenery can get his play back?

Another one is Devan Dubnyk. He had an off year, but had posted some pretty good numbers playing behind some awful Oilers teams. He'll probably come cheap and might be a serviceable backup for a much better team.

I noticed someone mention Reimer in here too. I'm not sure about this one. He'd probably make a good backup and would be reasonably priced. He'd probably also play well since he'd likely only sign for a year so he can hit the UFA market in 2015 and get a starting job. The question is, what would it take to get him from Toronto? And would Toronto even want to deal him to a division rival?

I'd also be open to Mrazek getting the back up spot, but if he does I would hope that Holland gets someone with some NHL experience to play #3 in GR. That way they don't have to throw Coreau or Paterson in the fire if Mrazek and Howard happen to get overlapping injuries. It would also give them someone to ride the pine if Howard or Mrazek get injured, so Coreau and Paterson can keep playing in GR/Toledo. This person could also backup Jimmy if Mrazek struggles and they decide to give him some more time in GR.

In conclusion, I think the team has better options than Gustavsson.

#23 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

-Thomas Greiss, Justin Peters, Al Montoya and Carter Hutton all played second fiddle on non-playoff teams for at least 50% less than Gustavsson made this season and had better GAA and SV% numbers. Between the four, only one injury came up. Montoya missed the Jets last 7 games with a hamstring injury. That's it. The other three were ready to go all season.

This is the path I would take.  These guys are inexpensive.  I'd pick one and go into camp with the backup spot open for battle between Mrazek and the veteran signee.  Winner stays and backs up Howard, loser goes to Grand Rapids and starts, with Paterson backing him up.  Another option would be to bring McCollum back into the fold, start him at GR, and send Mrazek down and call up McCollum if Mrazek sits for too long and needs playing time.

Mrazek would benefit from playing 55 AHL games, but he would also benefit from playing 25 NHL games.

#24 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

This is the path I would take.  These guys are inexpensive.  I'd pick one and go into camp with the backup spot open for battle between Mrazek and the veteran signee.  Winner stays and backs up Howard, loser goes to Grand Rapids and starts, with Paterson backing him up.  Another option would be to bring McCollum back into the fold, start him at GR, and send Mrazek down and call up McCollum if Mrazek sits for too long and needs playing time.

Mrazek would benefit from playing 55 AHL games, but he would also benefit from playing 25 NHL games.

I only wonder if one of those guys would sign here if they knew they may not have a bigger guarantee for the back up spot.

I just don't know if I could keep my fingernails if your McCollum scenario became reality. If (God forbid) Howard goes down long term, we'd have to pray that Mrazek can handle the big load in his first full season. If not, they'll have to scramble to pull a goalie from another teams scrap head.

I'd feel better with someone that has been atleast an established AHL starter and may have have some NHL experience playing 3rd fiddle over McCollum. Someone like Joey MacDonald, Scott Clemmenson, Jason Labarbera etc.

#25 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

I say bring Mrazek up as the backup and give him so many games.  He's ready; he's won a Calder Cup.  He has nothing more to prove except he needs time now in the NHL.

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

No, but start with McCollom as the 2. If he works out-he becomes a trade piece. Let M play every day in GR.

#27 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

If he wins tonight resign him. If he loses, send him packing.

#28 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

Yeah I really enjoyed his adventures a mile away from the goal crease tonight. 

NO

#29 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

after his great game tonight i vote yes. 1 year deal.

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Yeah I really enjoyed his adventures a mile away from the goal crease tonight. 

NO

He'd make a good defenseman.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

He's paid 1.5 million and he is 16-5 with a 2.63 and .908 SV%.  Hell yes you bring him back.

#32 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

Only reasons not to bring him back are if we decide it's better to get Mrazak going at the NHL level (doubt it) or if he wants too much money, though his injury issues will likely play some part in the decision (or at least keep his price cheap). But we did a lot of winning with him in an expanded backup role this year, and he posted descent numbers in the process. Yeah, it's not always pretty and can be downright scary at times, and he'll have his terrible games now and then, but generally speaking, we got a lot of value out of him as a backup this year, and honestly, we wouldn't be in the playoffs had he not played so well early on when Howard was struggling to get wins. Anyone who wants to start talking about him competing for the starting job are as crazy as those that did the same for guys like Legace (kill me over and over in a painful manner) and Conklin (at least it was infinitely less annoying and never actually lead to two playoff implosions...), but at around $1.5-1.75 million again for a year, he's a perfectly fine backup, even with the injuries.

Now on that note, if he's back next year, he likely wouldn't have to play as much as we have to think/hope that Howard is going to have a better regular season than he did this year. If that's the case, he won't be playing as much, which you'd think/hope would limit his injuries, though perhaps sitting for longer stretches could cause even more problems as practices only push guys so far. Granted if he goes down, it's an opportunity to give Mrazak some NHL time, which isn't so bad. And ultimately, if we end up having to rely on him more again because of more Howard struggles, we'd have bigger problems to sort out in goal than who the backup is anyways.

So to me, it makes sense if you get him for around the same money as he got the last couple years, though probably only sign him for one year. I wouldn't be shocked if we saw Mrazak in the NHL sooner than Howard, and while next year is probably too soon, the year after wouldn't shock me. Don't forget, the only reason Howard didn't make the team sooner is because he flat out didn't make the team, year after year. He had the opportunities but was out of shape earlier on and simply not good enough to be counted upon. He made the team in his last year because they were out of options and it was his last chance. Thankfully, he put a lot of the pieces together once he got into the NHL, but it was a long time coming. Again, I don't think we'll see the same thing for Mrazak.

-Elliot

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

No, but start with McCollom as the 2. If he works out-he becomes a trade piece. Let M play every day in GR.

Seriously? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#34 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

Everyone keeps saying bring him back on a 1 year deal because he won a lot of games last year and played pretty well. You guys do realize he's going to want to be a starter, want more money than we want to give our backup, and probably a little job security past next season, right? He's earned that. If he signs a 1 year deal it will probably be with a team like Edmonton so he can prove he can be an everyday starter. I'd be very surprised if wanted to sign a 1 year deal with us.

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

I reconsidered and want him back. Not because of last night, but because I forgot he has a different style of play than Howard. Mixing it up is key to having a varied breakout. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Seriously? 

Yes. Howard is good for 60-65 games per year. Next year will be the first season in 3 with a normal schedule-he can handle the workload. That means we need a backup for 20ish games. If McCollom is struggling at the halfway mark-meaning he has played 10 games we can bring up Mrasek at that point. If he is doing ok then we can trade him for a pick/prospect and bring up mrasek. Tom has played well the last 2 years-his best 2 years. His numbers at GR this year are GREAT! That is the trend-improvement every year. He is fine as a backup for 1 season, which is what we need.

#37 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yes. Howard is good for 60-65 games per year. Next year will be the first season in 3 with a normal schedule-he can handle the workload. That means we need a backup for 20ish games. If McCollom is struggling at the halfway mark-meaning he has played 10 games we can bring up Mrasek at that point. If he is doing ok then we can trade him for a pick/prospect and bring up mrasek. Tom has played well the last 2 years-his best 2 years. His numbers at GR this year are GREAT! That is the trend-improvement every year. He is fine as a backup for 1 season, which is what we need.

At that point if you are one of the 29 other GM's in the league, what would you honestly trade for Thomas McCollum? Mind you at this point, he has had ONE solid AHL season and would have your alloted ten games on his resume.

If I desperately needed a backup for my AHL team, I might give Holland a conditional 7th rounder. The condition will be that Detroit gets the 7th if McCollum wins the Conn Smythe trophy that season.

LA got a 3rd for Scrivens, and Edmonton got a 4th for Bryzgalov during this season. Doing the math, McCollum gets an equal AHL plug or a nice hand written thank you note if another team actually wants to trade for him.

Every other team will already have a Thomas McCollum in their system. If he does somehow need to be moved off the Red Wings roster, it will be via waivers.

In all reality, if Mrazek doesn't get penciled in at #2 next season, the spot will be held by either Gustavsson or another proven NHL goalie.

#38 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Nope. Two years hes proven he cant stay healthy. What good is a backup who cant stay healthy even when playing limited games. As others have stated Monster played above himself the two months of the season. After the turn of the year he was pretty bad. Mrazek is up next year as backup. Hes done his time in the AHL. He backups primarily next year, plays about 10 more games the next, and then it becomes decision time between him and Howard. Patterson will be moving up to GR next season to take Mrazeks spot. The Wings best course of action is to find a good vet 3rd goalie whos willing to play in GR.

#39 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

I voted for M...but can we get both of these guys up here and make Howard #3? :D

U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#40 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I voted for M...but can we get both of these guys up here and make Howard #3? :D

Who's M? And I would rather trade Howard then keep him as a third goalie, he's a starter and he's paid $5m/year, putting him as a third would be dumb and disrespectful, and may ruin his entire career. I know you were only half serious, but he has been quite good since his injuries stopped.