• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

ECQF - Game 4 - Bruins 3 at Red Wings 2 (F/OT)

Rate this topic

I can't believe some people are crying to fire Babcock... the best coach in hockey. Unreal. Seriously people, take off the homer glasses here, think clearly and realistically. This team that we have, has no chance against Boston. Not because of coaching, because of talent. Boston is stronger, bigger, more talented in every area. From net, to defensemen, to their forwards. Add in the fact that Datsyuk clearly is struggling with his injury still, and Zetterberg as well, then combine the fact that the rest of the roster is full of guys who played in the AHL last year, and you should easily be able to see what the problem is here. It's not the coach. It's an inexperienced roster, filled with injuries up against the team that is probably going to win the cup.

Lets be serious here rather than trying to point the blame at Babcock, or even Holland for that matter... If it wasnt for all these kids currently playing on the Wings that were drafted... we wouldn't even be in the damn playoffs today. The fact that we even are is a miracle on its own the way this season went, without a guy like Babcock behind the bench steering those kids adn getting the best out of them down the stretch, you could shoot a cannon through this forum right now it would be so empty.

Well its been a heart wrenching season to say the least, but at least we made the playoffs unlike the laughs, but couldn't compete with Boston. Still a light chance but at this point, I think all the haters were right. If we lose next game I won't be around for a while, I can't take the lgw meltdown that will ensue.

I can't believe some people are crying to fire Babcock... the best coach in hockey. Unreal. Seriously people, take off the homer glasses here, think clearly and realistically. This team that we have, has no chance against Boston. Not because of coaching, because of talent. Boston is stronger, bigger, more talented in every area. From net, to defensemen, to their forwards. Add in the fact that Datsyuk clearly is struggling with his injury still, and Zetterberg as well, then combine the fact that the rest of the roster is full of guys who played in the AHL last year, and you should easily be able to see what the problem is here. It's not the coach. It's an inexperienced roster, filled with injuries up against the team that is probably going to win the cup.

Lets be serious here rather than trying to point the blame at Babcock, or even Holland for that matter... If it wasnt for all these kids currently playing on the Wings that were drafted... we wouldn't even be in the damn playoffs today. The fact that we even are is a miracle on its own the way this season went, without a guy like Babcock behind the bench steering those kids adn getting the best out of them down the stretch, you could shoot a cannon through this forum right now it would be so empty.

Thanks for your post. I really hope those calling for Babcock's head will read it.

I would go even a bit further saying that with the roster we have we play fairly good against one the best teams in the NHL.

i think some people on here just need to realize that sometimes the other team is just flat out better.

i could think of many times in this playoffs alone where a team has surrendered a two goal lead.

Last playoffs Anaheim was the better team as well, how did that work out for them? Oh yeah we got "lucky" because we're the Red Wings. We also got lucky in the following round vs Chicago when we overcame a 3-1 deficit and took them (also the better team) to game 7 and lost out by a single goal.

Never count this team out until they shake hands. Detroit may not be the "better team" but show me a better organization.

I'm ready for Saturday.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. In the bolded sections above, you suggest that Babcock's coaching "steered" the kid line, and the success of the kid line got us into the playoffs. And you use this as evidence to suggest that Babs is a great coach and isn't responsible for the loses in the playoffs.

But you don't mention that Babs broke up the kid line after making the playoffs (as well as the Nyquist-Franzen-Legwand line), and they didn't play a single shift together against Boston.

If putting them together was a smart move by Babs, which ultimately led to success and the playoffs; then breaking them up and not having success would be a bad coaching decision which negatively affected the team's chances of winning, and Babs would ultimately bear responsibility for that decision. Again, the same is true of Nyquist-Franzen-and Legwand as well.

Last playoffs Anaheim was the better team as well, how did that work out for them? Oh yeah we got "lucky" because we're the Red Wings. We also got lucky in the following round vs Chicago when we overcame a 3-1 deficit and took them (also the better team) to game 7 and lost out by a single goal.

Never count this team out until they shake hands. Detroit may not be the "better team" but show me a better organization.

I'm ready for Saturday.

We didn't overcome a 3-1 deficit against Chicago. They overcame a 3-1 deficit to beat us.

Edited by kipwinger

My biggest problem is time and again the powers that be that create the roster and choose the lineup think that the refs will protect us in the playoffs. We've seen this act year after year when we get screwed over by this mentality. If it is a team we can beat, they dive and we end up on the PK all day. If it is a team that feels they can out muscle us, or beat up, they do that. No matter what, the refs let them do it because "it's the playoffs". Look at last night, I couldn't believe half the stuff going on in that game. Just disgusting. If we had a line that could bang the crap out of people and drop gloves, people would stop with this ridiculous cheap shots. Instead we pretend that being "above" that and playing the "right" way will let us win. Welcome to now. We are not easily more talented than other rosters. We can't be "above" knocking people around and expecting the league to actually make the right call and curtail this kind of thing. Face it, the league loves to give lip service to "clean" games, but listen to those announcers last night. I didn't hear much disdain in their voice about stuff. Hell, they were cooing over Marchand. Having a couple guys who will take out a POS like Marchand would resolve a lot of this.

If the refs don't come over to protect us, we are basically powerless.

You know who we are? Anyone watch Game of Thrones? We are Ned Stark. Try to play the game the right way, honorable, by the rules, and what happens? We get screwed over. We fail to adjust.

i think some people on here just need to realize that sometimes the other team is just flat out better.

i could think of many times in this playoffs alone where a team has surrendered a two goal lead.

I'm ready for Saturday.

We blew the 3-1 lead. Of course the Wings could win another game. But Game 5 is an afternoon NBC game. For whatever reason we always play like trash in those.

Four games is a pretty good sample size. We have yet to be better than Boston for more than a period, and we can't get to their net. Even though they were better teams, the Anaheim and Chicago series were more evenly matched and we were competitive.

Boston is the best team the Wings have faced in the playoffs in my viewing life time. Even the sweep losses were more competitive.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

We blew the 3-1 lead. Of course the Wings could win another game. But Game 5 is an afternoon NBC game. For whatever reason we always play like trash in those. Four games is a pretty good sample size. We have yet to be better than Boston for more than a period, and we can't get to their net. Even though they were better teams, the Anaheim and Chicago series were more evenly matched and we were competitive. Boston is the best team the Wings have faced in the playoffs in my viewing life time. Even the sweep losses were more competitive. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I think ever after the LA Kings won the cup as the 8 seed people seem to be thinking the cap between 1 + 8 isn't that back. Sadly most people forget how LA was supposed to be one of the cup favorites before that 2011 season started.

The Wings are simple out-matched by a much better team, period. The matchup is a steep and tough learning experience for our young kids but something - I'm very sure - they are going to learn a lot from. The Wings were one bounce away from evening the series but that didn't happen and there is no shame in losing against such a well oiled bear.

Boston is by far the best team the Wings have faced in many years. Detroit threw everything trhey've got at them still wasn't enough, sometimes the opponent is just better.

Edited by frankgrimes

Unfortunately Boston has rask and not flower.

I understand and agree with your overall point, but I will say that after watching most of that series, Fleury is being hung out to dry. Columbus has some quality offensive players and they're allowed to basically walk in on Fleury any time they've got the puck. That team has, so far, skated the Pens into the ground.

We were UP 3 - 1 in that series and blew it.. Not a 3 - 1 deficit comeback.

I see what you're trying to do with the comparison, but we were winning the Chicago series.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/series.htm?season=20122013&series=k

I'm ready for Saturday.

Great teams force oppostiton to make mistakes and thats what Bos is doing to us.

A hobbled Dats, Z, Alfie and a bunch of kids hitting puberty is a bad mix for success against bos in the PO.

With that said, we have had chances to get to rask and havent.

Learning experince for the Kids for what it takes.

In 95 the Devils showed the Wings what it takes to win 16 games and not just 12.

I think ever after the LA Kings won the cup as the 8 seed people seem to be thinking the cap between 1 + 8 isn't that back. Sadly most people forget how LA was supposed to be one of the cup favorites before that 2011 season started.

The Wings are simple out-matched by a much better team, period. The matchup is a steep and tough learning experience for our young kids but something - I'm very sure - they are going to learn a lot from. The Wings were one bounce away from evening the series but that didn't happen and there is no shame in losing against such a well oiled bear.

Boston is by far the best team the Wings have faced in many years. Detroit threw everything trhey've got at them still wasn't enough, sometimes the opponent is just better.

The Kings were probably the most talented #8 seed in modern history that year. It was expected they would really dominate from the previous year and it took a coaching change (plus Jeff Carter) to really light them on fire that year. We aren't even close (on paper or ice) to that lineup they had (and mostly still have).

I thought last night we were trying to focus too much on the quick, short passes and we were a turnover machine. At points, the Bruins had forwards waiting on OUR blue-line waiting for the errant pass by our D so they could steal and rush.

One last thought....Jimmy Howard doesn't feel well after the pre-game warm-ups and therefore doesn't play???? All I can say it that's freakin WEAK. I don't know the extent of his symptoms or what he was going through, BUT I do know what other players have played through to be a part of such big games at playoff time. I think the way it went down without any major sign of ailment previous to the warm-ups just leaves me to wonder. WOW. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I am not fully informed on the situation, but I still think it's a bit weak. This starts to raise a lot, lot, of questions.

Boston is the best team the Wings have faced in the playoffs in my viewing life time. Even the sweep losses were more competitive.

Boston is a great team but they aren't really being tested.

This is the WORST Red Wings team in the last 22 seasons. The last time the Wings were minus in goal differential was 1990-91... the season the playoff streak started. The pts% this season was .567... the worst since 1990-91 (tied with the 1998-99 team but that team didn't have the benefit of overtime loser points and shootout wins.) The last time a Wings team finished worse than 3rd in their division was 1989-90.

Our 4th liners are grinding but can't chip in with timely goals.

The "kids" are nowhere to be seen (something about this being a 'man's league.')

Datsyuk is a one-man show... the rest of the veterans are either injured, over the hill, have mental issues, or have some other excuse.

Our defencemen are... well... frustrating to watch. Kronwall and Ericsson should be our #3 and #4 defencemen not our top pair.

We have no balls. Tootoo is buried in the minors and Bertuzzi had a lobotomy.

Howard is not an elite goalie. We can win the cup with him if we have a roster like the '08 team. The 2014 Wings need a late '90s Hasek to be contenders.

The bottom line is that this Wings team extended the playoff streak and with all the injuries this season that's quite an accomplishment. Everything else is a bonus.

Boston is a great team but they aren't really being tested.

This is the WORST Red Wings team in the last 22 seasons. The last time the Wings were minus in goal differential was 1990-91... the season the playoff streak started. The pts% this season was .567... the worst since 1990-91 (tied with the 1998-99 team but that team didn't have the benefit of overtime loser points and shootout wins.) The last time a Wings team finished worse than 3rd in their division was 1989-90.

Our 4th liners are grinding but can't chip in with timely goals.

The "kids" are nowhere to be seen (something about this being a 'man's league.')

Datsyuk is a one-man show... the rest of the veterans are either injured, over the hill, have mental issues, or have some other excuse.

Our defencemen are... well... frustrating to watch. Kronwall and Ericsson should be our #3 and #4 defencemen not our top pair.

We have no balls. Tootoo is buried in the minors and Bertuzzi had a lobotomy.

Howard is not an elite goalie. We can win the cup with him if we have a roster like the '08 team. The 2014 Wings need a late '90s Hasek to be contenders.

The bottom line is that this Wings team extended the playoff streak and with all the injuries this season that's quite an accomplishment. Everything else is a bonus.

The guy that scored 50+points and 2 points yesterday should be our #3 ? Sorry, stopped reading at that point.

To be clear I wasn't calling for Babs to be let go. I was just saying that when we do have a head coaching vacancy, whenever or however that ends up happening, it would be great if Laviolette was at least available to be a candidate.

Thanks for your post. I really hope those calling for Babcock's head will read it.

I would go even a bit further saying that with the roster we have we play fairly good against one the best teams in the NHL.

Hahaha. Everyone here is too busy being right to reasonably consider the validity of statement with which they disagree.

I am sof****** depressed this morning

Don't be. It's not your fault. The players are the only ones who should be depressed, and deserve to be, after that game. It's as if they expected Boston to give up after two goals, just as the wings did in game 3.

I was devastated last night. Now? Not so much.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are nowhere near 100%. Ericsson is out. Smith is a kid, DeKeyser is a kid, Quincey is terrible, Kindl is terrible, Lashoff is terrible. Pretty much all of our forwards have disappeared. Our goaltending has been inconsistent. We're young and inexperienced in key positions.

And yet, last night could've gone either way. We could just as easily be tied in the series. And we're dealing with the class of the Eastern Conference, quite possibly the best team in the league, maybe even the best team we've faced in the playoffs in the salary cap era. They're built to obliterate all challengers.

And we've shown we can hang with them.

They're beating us because they're the much better team, but I'm not putting a ton of stock in that. Meaning, I don't think we suddenly have to blow up the team and fire everyone and start from scratch because the best team in the league is going to make short work of us. We won the first game because we had a transition game. We didn't mess around in our zone. We got away from that and basically handed them Games 2 and 3. Last night, we got our up-tempo transition back, and then we backed off and got lazy and cute and stupid in our end again. We're beating ourselves as much as they're beating us. And that, to me, is encouraging, all things considered.

The Bruins have pretty much hit their ceiling; they're about as good as they're going to be. We're going to improve until we're a legitimate contender, which could be as soon as next season. I think this will be our lowest point. Losing to the Blackhawks and then the Bruins will be our lowest point. Not being a lottery team for five straight years. Losing to much better teams in the playoffs for two or three seasons.

So, I think it's gonna be ok.