Photo
- - - - -

ECQF - Game 4 - Bruins 3 at Red Wings 2 (F/OT)

• Please log in to reply
932 replies to this topic

#801 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

Anyone who didn't think Gus was great tonight is nuts.

Anyone who doesn't think Gus didn't also get incredibly lucky a few times is also nuts.

Anyone who thinks he should replace Howard needs to forget about anything that happens when he's playing and just refer to his injury history. Like the guy or not, that is the number one reason why he'll continue to be a backup even if he's able to clean up his sloppiness and focus in his game.

Be happy he did so well for us tonight, because many goalies would've floundered in the same circumstance and he stood tall and truly played a great game. He battled hard and did everything you could ask of him. Again, two goals against off of crazy deflections and the second goal wouldn't have happened if Nyquist covered his man through the play. You couldn't ask for much better from a backup, especially on such short notice. Clearly, Tampa Bay, Detroit is not, at least in the backup goaltending department.

Edited by gcom007, 24 April 2014 - 10:32 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#802 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Our PK against the Pens would be a disaster.  We wouldn't be up 3-1, even with Fleury.  You still have to hit the net to score, remember?

Fair points, it was a better matchup then Boston though. At least against Pittsburgh our kids wouldn't be playing scared, the physicality of the Bruins is a factor in how guys like Nyquist and Sheahan are playing.

#NOMOREKINDL

#803 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

I wish I could be blindly optimistic like some of the people here..

Did the Bruins lose 3 in a row during the regular season? And we expect to win two straight in Boston to start? Come on, now.

As soon as the Bruins tied the game 2-2, the fans got silent because they knew an implosion was coming.

I knew the game was lost when we went up 2-0.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#804 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Boston should get tons of credit, i just think howard singlehandedly got them going, and then they were like afreight train.

Game 3 howard letsva softie in and a bad line change goal...otherwise boston gets nothing when tree wins are playing horrid. But they are too good defensively

I think boston will get exposed in these playoffs by a team more confident and fast.

So the Wings arent fast and werent confident? Are you serious?? The Wings had tons of confidence coming into this series after taking 3 of 4 from Boston. You blame Howard for the goal but are giving the rest of the team that played worse than him a free pass in those games?

#805 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

I have. CBJ play with serious energy and heart, but lack high end skill. And STILL they have a tie series with the Pens. Because they're exploiting Fleury. Rask is a monster in the net, he's the difference beyond all else. Even if we outplayed the Bruins in a game, we aren't getting more then 3 past him at any time.

I agree and ii think the wings were giving too much respect, looking for perfect shots, too much passing, missing the ney, etc.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#806 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

We're losing not because we lost this game, but because the Wings didn't show up for games 2 and 3.

As much as this loss sucks, I'd rather lose like this then like we lost the previous two.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#807 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

just having 1 R/H shot on the whole playing roster doesn't make it any easier either.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#808 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

f*** can't believe we blew that one.. Wait scratch that I can... Monster is an automatic 3 goal a game goalie. Played well but still 3 goals are guaranteed.

#809 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

They didn't start playing hard until howard Gave them a goal. U want to keep the giant asleep as long as u can. Dan cloutier in 02...same thing.

But yes wings never recovered...

Not really. The only time a play determines the outcome of a game is if its in OT. Anytime else theres time for the players to make an impact on the result. 

#810 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

That's the problem.  Heat from whom?  The owner?  He doesn't even know what's going on right now.  The fanbase isn't going to affect Kenny's decisions.  

I expect the summer to go like the last few.  

I hope this series burns Mike Babcock up inside and he hints that he won't be re-upping with the organization unless changes are made.

I feel like we have an opportunity to be really good. But Holland has to be aggressive, creative, proactive.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#811 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

So the Wings arent fast and werent confident? Are you serious?? The Wings had tons of confidence coming into this series after taking 3 of 4 from Boston. You blame Howard for the goal but are giving the rest of the team that played worse than him a free pass in those games?

U could see rye series turn after that bad goal in game 2. Noni don't think the wings played condfident. how else do u explain game 3? They looked scared to me after game 2.

Tonight they looked alot better but i still think they got nervous when theyt got scored on. They slowed down a little and started turning the puck over alot.

What happened in tee reg season is irrelavent.

Just my opinion
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#812 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Columbus finds ways to crash the net with gritty guys with skill and dare I say this Wings team is too small to get there :(  I never agreed with the "We're too small" mentality but this series has shown it, I think.

Edited by themcityblues, 24 April 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#813 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

That overtime was so pathetic, the wings looked so tired. There were multiple shifts the Bruins had that I felt were definitely going to lead to a goal. So despite the lucky bounce, we had that had one coming. 

On another note, am I the only one who thought Franzen played alright tonight? I'm usually pissed off by his lack of effort, but I definitely was surprised by how much jump he had (compared to normal). 

I also thought Quincey and Smith played pretty solid.

I was disappointed with Kindl (per usual) but also thought Dekeyser had a pretty poor game tonight too.

Edited by PaZel, 24 April 2014 - 10:37 PM.

"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#814 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Unfortunately I think this series was a case of the Wings being too small. I always resisted that cliche but this time we couldn't even get to the net unless Boston decided to play sloppy. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#815 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Columbus finds ways to crash the net with gritty guys with skill and dare I say this Wings team is too small to get there :(  I never agreed with the "We're too small" mentality but this series has shown it, I think.

I'd take Brandon Dubinsky 100 times out of 100 over Franzen. We need more guys like that.

#NOMOREKINDL

#816 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

I also thought Quincey and Smith played pretty solid.

Ill agree that Smith might have had his best game of the series. Quincey though was his typical below average self. He had two great chances where even as a Dman he should have converted one. Add to it that he let Marchand skate right by him on the open net miss instead of playing an ounce of defense. 

#817 Alextricity

Alextricity

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Big changes this off-season. No idea what they'll be, but they're necessary.

#818 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Babs' obsession with Glendening has gone too far. He lost practically every faceoff tonight and yet was always out there for draws in the defensive zone. Why wouldn't you try Legwand, since there are two centers on that line anyways? Glendening lost the draw cleanly on the Bruins power play goal too, which is where the momentum in the game changed entirely.

The 4th line and Kindl/Lashoff pairing were huge liabilities in this game and they have nowhere to hide against the Bruins.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#819 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

buy out... buy out... buy out!!!

#820 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Lol, are you serious? We say this every year. Do you forget Holland is our GM? He's probably not even watching this series.

Only changes we'll see is Legwand, Alfie and Bert signed for multi year extensions. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS