• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alextricity

The Franzen Hate.

Rate this topic

Just an idea: UPGRADE over him. He isn't what we need-as you pointed out. There are only so many roster spots and if he can't be the player we need then replace him. That is how the real world works. Don't try, do or don't do. If you do, great we will keep you around. if not, then bring in the next guy. Pretty simple.

I'm fine with UPGRADING. But people want to jettison him before upgrading, Rather than giving him away, I'd rather risk having him end up as an expensive third liner, particularly if we continue to pursue the youth movement.

He does have a reasonable contract cap hit wise. Obviously the length sucks, but cap hit wise it is not too bad. So before just buying him out, I would try to make up a package of him and w.e else to make a trade to get something, like maybe Stewart from Buffalo. If there are no takers, then by all means yes buy him out.

This is exactly my point. People just want to crash and burn with him. Package him to a team with cap space, for the help on D we desperately need or gamble and keep him with a view to trading down the line. The discussion acts like he is utterly worthless. If he was shorter term or half the salary, everyone would be happy. He looks like a change of scenery may help, and another GM may agree.

We need to stop thinking of him as a core part, and see him as the complementary player that he is. Thus tradeable, but not junk. People talk as if he is Sammy, Cleary mid-season Bert or Weiss. He still kept up his 0.65-0.7 PPG average....without 15m on Sammy, Cleary, Bert, Quncey & Weiss, We could have exactly the no 2 D and 1st line winger that this team needs.And Franzen could be the 2nd/3rd line support guy he should be.

Honestly Franzen hasn't been the same since he got that big contract. And he even said himself after someone tried to fight him this year that he's scared to get another concussion. Having apprehension to be physical in this game makes him a liability IMO, as well as ineffective. He needs to go along with Weiss, Alfie, Cleary, bertuzzi and Sammy. They can pay for a really good forward or two and a Dman this offseason. Just look at the cap space those guys are wasting. Legwand can go too. He's not that effective either.

Guest Playmaker

Okay, so everyone thinks he sucks, but yet think he'll get us a decent return for a solid defenseman or at top 6 forward?

Okay, so everyone thinks he sucks, but yet think he'll get us a decent return for a solid defenseman or at top 6 forward?

He doesn't suck. We're just tired of him. This team is stale and some changes need to be made.

I'd love to see him traded. Imagine him having to deal with a new team and coach who actually rides his a$$. I'll take that as justice. He'll be miserable and regretting his effort and commitment to this team until his number and career fade away to a collection of meaningless stats. Such a waste, but it's his fault above all others. He is not someone who reflects the work ethic of this team or city.

I'd love to see him traded. Imagine him having to deal with a new team and coach who actually rides his a$$. I'll take that as justice. He'll be miserable and regretting his effort and commitment to this team until his number and career fade away to a collection of meaningless stats. Such a waste, but it's his fault above all others. He is not someone who reflects the work ethic of this team or city.

If he were traded, The Wings would be the team getting screwed in the end with a huge cap hit when he retires. Trading him would be insanity. A buyout is the only option.

If he were traded, The Wings would be the team getting screwed in the end with a huge cap hit when he retires. Trading him would be insanity. A buyout is the only option.

Whatever, I leave the business end to you. I just want him gone.

He doesn't suck. We're just tired of him. This team is stale and some changes need to be made.

Ill disagree and say he does suck. When hes on, which is 20 games a season but slowly becoming less, he is good. When he is off he is terrible. He doesn't bring anything to the team outside of scoring. He doesn't use his size, he doesn't have speed, hes not a good defender, and he turns the puck over constantly. He has been the Wings worst player since the start of March. Not just because he hasn't scored but hes been a liability on the ice. Weiss has been more beneficial to the team in that time by not playing than Franzen was while playing. Take today for example. Franzen was horrible. Wings tie it up and go back on the PP. He then goes and takes a stupid holding penalty because he was to lazy to try and skate to the puck or use his body to push the player off it. That lead to the series of plays leading to the second goal. Then he throws a terrible pass up the middle that you expect to see in midget hockey not the pros leading to the game winner. Franzen hurts the team more than helping.

With good reason.

2014 5 GP 0 G 2 A -2

2013 14 GP 4 G 2 A -7

2012 5 GP 1 G 0 A -1

2011 8 GP 2 G 1 A -1

32 games played, 7 goals, 5 assists and a collective -11 after the 2010 playoffs.

How does that work? Doesn't the team taking him pay at the leash for his salary if he retires ? I heard something about that when the canucks traded luongo but I don't think there gonna pay it all if he retires

It's too bad I was thinking if stl gets out name dissapoints yet again then they'll need to make some changes , didn't check there roster but I was thinkin we could add someone physical if they'd take a chance for mule? ... Maybe he'd fit better there with a team having his back being he's a wuss

He has to be bought out if anything. Can't risk a trade as this team will be in cap hell when he no doubt retires before the contract is up.

The recapture penalty actually wouldn't be nearly as bad as many people seem to think. Holland does have to be careful, though. Lots of kids and lots of cap space is cool, but eventually those kids will be making serious money.

How much of what is happening to him is due to his "mental situation"?

The Wings were guarded about that earlier this season, but something seems to be going on. Not sure what.

I've wondered about this.

At the end of the day, we (especially me, I guess, given all the s*** I've talked about him in the past four hours) probably aren't getting even half the full story, and he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Even by his streaky standards, he was really off here in the final stretch.

One thing that's worth keeping in mind (and, again, I'm calling myself out more than anyone else) is that concussions can really, really mess you up in many different ways. Mix that together with what I guess we'll call Anxiety Issues, and maybe we should be applauding him for pushing on through some really bad stuff rather than trashing him for things that might be a great deal more complicated than "He's lazy and complacent." At the very least, we should probably reserve total judgment. (I'm looking at you, Dabura.)

Also, I found it interesting that Babs made a point of, yes, calling Franzen out, but also saying he's a good man and a good family man. My understanding is that that's pretty much the highest compliment Mike Babcock feels he can pay a person. (He said something earlier this season about Alfie and how being a good man and a good family man is the ultimate thing and everything hockey-related is secondary. Unless I'm remembering it wrong.)

OK, that's my monthly Politically Correct TL;DR post.

The recapture penalty actually wouldn't be nearly as bad as many people seem to think. Holland does have to be careful, though. Lots of kids and lots of cap space is cool, but eventually those kids will be making serious money.

All depends on when he retires. It can be very bad, it could possibly not be all that bad. In the end, not worth the risk as it isn't like the team would know a couple years ahead of time when he'd retire to prepare for it. The cap penalty would basically come out of nowhere which would be disastrous is it were a big one