• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alextricity

The Franzen Hate.

Rate this topic

Is that true? I was under the impression that it was either Franzen or Hossa, and if they chose Hossa they would have had to not resign Darren Helm and maybe another player. With the salary cap, I don't think they could have made it work without sacrificing a couple players from their core.

It wouldn't have been easy...but i would have been workable if the GM thought it was worth trading some lesser value pieces to make it happen - it would have taken longer term thinking, but in hindsight, it was doable. I'm not sure I realised that at the time of course!

It wouldn't have been easy...but i would have been workable if the GM thought it was worth trading some lesser value pieces to make it happen - it would have taken longer term thinking, but in hindsight, it was doable. I'm not sure I realised that at the time of course!

It would have been nice to have capgeek back then to put everything in and test that theory. According to all the news outlets, it didn't seem possible. I know I wasn't ready to ditch a couple key pieces in order to sign both Hossa and Franzen.

It would have been nice to have capgeek back then to put everything in and test that theory. According to all the news outlets, it didn't seem possible. I know I wasn't ready to ditch a couple key pieces in order to sign both Hossa and Franzen.

I t probably would have required ditching either Rafalski or two lesser players that were deemed important at the time but proved not to be. It would have a big call and a gamble at the time. Of course in hindsight it would have been the right call. I don't blame Holland for not making it as such, but I remember thinking at the time that looking longer term it would have been my choice...Simply because Hossa and Franzen remain assets for considerably longer than others that we kept instead.

Not everyone on the Freep agrees with the jilted HSJ: http://www.freep.com/article/20140428/COL08/304280030/detroit-red-wings-johan-franzen-drew-sharp

Looking at it rationally at least to me it's really simple:

This is the last summer where real buyouts are allowed, if you don't use that it can hurt you. The thing with the Mule is for whatever reason he seems to not really be into it maybe he is still dealing with concussion issues, maybe it is another injury or some personal problem whatever it is, here is the problem:

if the guy retries before his contract is up the Wings would be punished for a former legally contract - as an owner I would fight that in court buy anyway - with less available salary off 2 million ...that's two fourth line players

I think for a bit more money he can be replaced with a guy like Moulson, who would other than Vanek leave enough room to sign a guy like Niskanen.

Granted I'm not a GM but these would exactly be my thought process of course the owner has to accept the millions ist would cost so who knows.

Would you buyout a 50-60 pt player at 4 million?

In his case yes.

He's going on 35, with 5 more years on his contract. He's declining, and will continue to do so, plain, and simple. Will he be worth 4 million per year at 38-40 years old? Highly doubt it. If you're lucky you may get one more 50 point season out of him. Keep in mind he's never had more than 59 points in a season. He's also had quite a few injuries over the last few years, including concussions.

Besides the reasons I've listed above, he is lazy, and unreliable.

Tell me, if you were the GM of another team, what would you give up to get Franzen?

Edited by RedFlag85

I like how everyone is talking about s*** from 5 years ago because this current team is rather boring.

Simple.... because you DON'T ever let a proven player like Hossa slip through your fingers EVER!!!! He is a career superstar! Franzen at the time looked like he could be but was still relatively unknown.... Worst Ken Holland mistake to date in my opinion.

Hurts even more because we know first hand that even when Hoss isn't scoring he is a wicked defensive player as well where Franzen is completely invisible and contributes nothing in his very loong down periods

Edited by The Secret

Simple.... because you DON'T ever let a proven player like Hossa slip through your fingers EVER!!!! He is a career superstar! Franzen at the time looked like he could be but was still relatively unknown.... Worst Ken Holland mistake to date in my opinion.

Hurts even more because we know first hand that even when Hoss isn't scoring he is a wicked defensive player as well where Franzen is completely invisible and contributes nothing in his very loong down periods

None of this hasn't been said before. This is the same post over and over and over and over and over and over.....

Lol. Hossa is good. He's no superstar though. People around here act like we let ovechkin walk or Crosby. Let it go!! 5 years

None of this hasn't been said before. This is the same post over and over and over and over and over and over.....

and over and over and over... and will be continued to be said over and over while Hoss is being his consistent productive self and Franzen continues to blow big balls and waste a roster spot. Hossa is fast, strong, shoots, scores, plays defense and has the ability to carry the team from time to time, shows up every game.... all for roughly the same salary as Franzen.

Lol. Hossa is good. He's no superstar though. People around here act like we let ovechkin walk or Crosby. Let it go!! 5 years

I think he is a superstar, look at his stats... maybe not Crosby level but I would take Hossa everyday over Ovechkin!

Edited by The Secret

and over and over and over... and will be continued to be said over and over while Hoss is being his consistent productive self and Franzen continues to blow big balls and waste a roster spot. Hossa is fast, strong, shoots, scores, plays defense and has the ability to carry the team from time to time, shows up every game.... all for roughly the same salary as Franzen.

I think he is a superstar, look at his stats... maybe not Crosby level but I would take Hossa everyday over Ovechkin!

Hossa is not a superstar, that's not opinion. It's fact

In his case yes.

He's going on 35, with 5 more years on his contract. He's declining, and will continue to do so, plain, and simple. Will he be worth 4 million per year at 38-40 years old? Highly doubt it. If you're lucky you may get one more 50 point season out of him. Keep in mind he's never had more than 59 points in a season. He's also had quite a few injuries over the last few years, including concussions.

Besides the reasons I've listed above, he is lazy, and unreliable.

Tell me, if you were the GM of another team, what would you give up to get Franzen?

Franzen has trade value. I don't want to speculate on what he'd net in a trade bc it's so subjective, but he definitely has value.

keep in mind he's been on pace for over 60 pts more than a a few times as well. A guy who plays around a 60 pt pace is well worth 4 million to a lot of teams. Yes his contract is long, but why buy him out now? Buy him out when he actually hits 38 or 39 and completely drops off, if he does. Buying him out now is beyond ridiculous.

Guest Furled Brow

Hossa got 30/30/60 this year with +28. That tops every Red Wings player. Arguing superstar vs. Elite is semantics. Arguing Franzen vs. Hossa, though, is laughable. Hossa is the dominant player by a wide margin.

define superstar? It is a subjective standard, so saying Hossa is a superstar is not wrong. It's not like saying he is a top 5 player in the NHL or something along those lines.

Pretty sure he is going to be a Hall of Famer

I doubt he will be a hall of famer, but you never know. I consider superstars to be franchise players, guys like Stamkos, Malkin, The Sedins in 2012, and Crosby (as much as i hate him)

Hossa could be considered elite, but superstar he is not

It will keep being repeated over and over and over. Just like Franzen not showing up when the team needs him Over and over and over and over again!

I doubt he will be a hall of famer, but you never know. I consider superstars to be franchise players, guys like Stamkos, Malkin, The Sedins in 2012, and Crosby (as much as i hate him)

Hossa could be considered elite, but superstar he is not

I think if he played his prime years in some place other than Ottawa or Atlanta he would be a certain Hall of Famer. Going to get 500 goals...certain Hall of Famer the more I think about it.

I dont think Hossa in his prime was much lower than any of those players you mentioned. And no matter what, always has been a much better player than Franzen