• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#21 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

The problem is that Holland has neglected size in this line up. We have capable top 6 youngsters but we need a big winger or two. Losing Franzen we are shrimps up front. I don't see too many high end power forwards on the market either

I think Mantha, Sheahan, and Jurco are part of the solution there, but to fully realize that won't be for another couple years....

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

You do realize we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs if it weren't for his ridiculous surge in the latter part of the season, right?

And if it's only the playoffs that matter, why did the Tigers ever get rid of Jhonny Peralta or Delmon Young? They weren't great during the season, but always showed up in the playoffs. People need to make up their minds.

Now, flame me.

I think you're confusing Franzen for Nyquist.

He definitely provides good value for the numbers he produces.

And now this has become debatable.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

The question with Mule is this:

Does he take us closer to being cup contender or farther away from it?

No denying what a talent and times unstoppable force he can be. BUT the constant guessing of which mule is going to show up takes its toll from the top down.

Wish he was always trying even if not successful. I think his anxiety issues + pressure have really done him in last few years.

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

The way he played down the stretch, the way he's played in the playoffs, the way Babs is talking about him, the way the Detroit media seems to have turned on him, all of that leads me to believe he might be headed to a buyout. And honestly, it wouldn't hurt us too much.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Nyquist-Weiss-FA/Legwand/Alfredsson

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Miller-Helm-Glendening/Andersson/Callahan/Ferraro

We'd have a ton of cap space to add an impact forward too, I know I want him gone, and as much sense as it makes to get rid of him, I just don't see Kenny biting the bullet. Instead he'll say he knows what Franzen is capable of and hopes to see a healthy season of him.

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

The way he played down the stretch, the way he's played in the playoffs, the way Babs is talking about him, the way the Detroit media seems to have turned on him, all of that leads me to believe he might be headed to a buyout. And honestly, it wouldn't hurt us too much.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Weiss-FA/Legwand/Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening/Andersson/Callahan/Ferraro

We'd have a ton of cap space to add an impact forward too, I know I want him gone, and as much sense as it makes to get rid of him, I just don't see Kenny biting the bullet. Instead he'll say he knows what Franzen is capable of and hopes to see a healthy season of him.

I hate franzen as much as anyone but I don't recall babs saying anything specific about him. I would buy him out and try to sign Marian gaborick to a reasonable contract. Gaborick does have a tendency to get hurt sometimes but he plays a very similar way to hossa and can sure score goals. I say sign gaborick and danny Boyle this off season and we have a much better team.

#26 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I really wouldn't mind keeping him on the team but his contract is terrible. He's good for 20+ goals but don't count on him being physical. He played with fire during the 08 season. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good. I don't know about buying him out but I wouldn't mind see if you could try to trade him somewhere. 

#27 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

He's the Wings answer to Prince Fielder...a guy who just isn't playing up to his contact and doesn't seem to give a 3F about it.    He is most definitely shying away from the slot in this series...I wonder if that concussion he took earlier this year is having an impact on his style of play.

#28 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

What?

I'm thinking his mom took his Playstation away so he's trying to play somewhere else...

#29 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

And now this has become debatable.

Sure, it's debatable when you take that one sentence and present it without any context. When you read the sentence, following the one you quoted, it becomes clear that I was saying Franzen's numbers don't tell the whole story (I.e. he's not as valuable as the stats say he is). I don't understand why you're quoting my post in such a way that makes it appear that I am defending franzen.

Edited by The Greek, 25 April 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#30 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

i hate franzen....and i don't care about his cap hit...buy him out...he ain't gettin any better or tryin any harder.

you never know which guy is going to show up.

naked is a state of mind

#31 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Last 3 years in the playoffs.

Dan Cleary - 30GP 16 Points

Franzen 24GP 8 Points

Let that soak in for abit.

#32 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Here are my feelings in a nut shell

Franzen, by far is the MOST frustrating player I have ever watched. He is lazy. He is streaky. He takes a month to get off on a line change. He doesn't use his size effectively. He lays on the ice to try and draw a penalty at least once a game. He makes poor decisions. He doesn't make his team mates better...... and, in fact, I think to some of them, he has been a deterrent to their progress.
I have accepted that......until the later part of this season. Coupled with all the reasons mentioned above, he is now actually a liability on the ice. He has never been a great two way player but much like his offensive contributions have diminished, I think his defensive deficiencies are negligent to this team. I don't understand why he wasn't demoted 4 months ago. You can't wait 25 games waiting for the "08 Franzen" to show up. Whoever that guy was, he's dead. I would gladly use our last compliance buy out this summer on him.
I'm not a psychiatrist but I really believe he is having some sort of mental health issue. All those rumours that swirled around about him could be very well true. If that is the case, I wish he would just disclose it and get on with things- it's no different than being diabetic in my mind. It's not a weakness and certainly not anything someone would wish for. If that's the problem, He has a medical issue that impacts his ability to play. I look at a guy like TooToo who came clean with his issues with alcohol and my respect level for the guy soared. Shane Corson and his issues with OCD and panic disorder also come to mind. In fact, if the Mule did disclose some type of anxiety disorder or depressive disorder, I may view him differently.
Whatever the issue is, I no longer respect as a player because of the way he has handled the entire situation. If there is something more and he was able to seek treatment for it, my perspective may very well change.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Didn't see this anywhere else.....Babs vents on Franzen to the media (mlive):

Babcock said Franzen is a good person and family man who tries to be a good teammate but doesn’t handle the media as well as he should.

“If you stepped right up and talked it makes it easier,” Babcock said. “When you don’t, things build and I think that puts more pressure on you. I don’t know why you’d do that.”

He drew a comparison to an ordinary job.

“You have a meeting and no one says anything; you walk out the door and talk behind each other’s back,” Babcock said. “If you just call each other out and have the hard meeting, then everyone can get on with progress.

“He’s a man; he’s got to deal with that himself.”

Franzen was a force in the playoffs between 2008 and 2010, with 31 goals (including nine game-winners), 59 points and a plus-29 rating in 51 games. Since 2011, he has seven goals, 11 points and a minus-9 rating in 31 postseason games.

“We need more out of the Mule,” Babcock said. “It’s simple.”

The tone here from Babs is a bit harsher than before. Reading through his professionalism, you'd almost think he was fed up with Franzen. Not a huge stretch of the imagination to see a buyout this summer. 

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Seems like the majority of the people here enjoy conclusion jumping.

I don't like Franzen either. He should be bought out after this season. I'd've said that about Weiss, but I'd sooner have Weiss over Franzen. Johan is a waste of salary and space. I'm just wondering what's with the inconsistencies in opinions I see.

"He sucks during the season! He's only good during the playoffs!"
"He sucks during the playoffs! He's only good during the season!"

I agree that all that really matters is the Cup, but a lot of people don't realize how stupid they sound. So yes, I agree that Franzen should be off the team, but he's a good reason why the team got to the playoffs in the first place.

Franzen is awesome for 20 games a year and is lazy garbage the rest. How's that?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#35 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Franzen deserves the hate
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#36 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

The question with Mule is this:

Does he take us closer to being cup contender or farther away from it?

No denying what a talent and times unstoppable force he can be. BUT the constant guessing of which mule is going to show up takes its toll from the top down.

Wish he was always trying even if not successful. I think his anxiety issues + pressure have really done him in last few years.

I've always thought that he thrived in that 2nd fiddle role, most recently behind Hossa. 

It's mentally taxing on him to be THE guy, IMO. 

#37 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Links regarding Franzen's anxiety issues: 

http://kuklaskorner....ranzens-ailment

http://blog.mlive.co...gs_forward.html

#38 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Links regarding Franzen's anxiety issues: 

http://kuklaskorner....ranzens-ailment

http://blog.mlive.co...gs_forward.html

Wasn't this anxiety speculation addressed mid-season? I seem to remember Franzen and others denying it.

#39 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Franzen is lazy and he sucks!

Now that I've got that off my chest, I think he is lazy. Since he got his 300 year contract, I can't help but see it. I don't think I'm alone in this either. The fact that he is lazy because of his 300 year contract, is the reason he sucks. Finding the mesh a few times does not make up for the floating he does. It doesn't make up for the fact that in game 4 it looked like he was shooting the puck with a shovel. At least Cleary digs deep, and look at the pile of poop that gets thrown on him.

Uhh...you might want to duck!

#40 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

He's the Wings answer to Prince Fielder...a guy who just isn't playing up to his contact and doesn't seem to give a 3F about it.    He is most definitely shying away from the slot in this series...I wonder if that concussion he took earlier this year is having an impact on his style of play.

His concussion didn't have any impact in his play Franzen was never one to go to the slot.

I've always thought that he thrived in that 2nd fiddle role, most recently behind Hossa. 

It's mentally taxing on him to be THE guy, IMO. 

Its part of sports IMO that attention will come your way its no secrete. Which is why this whole anxiety disorder that came up mid season doesn't make sense to me. I'm very skeptical.