• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#401 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Did you even watch the Canadians? Hell even NBC guys commented in it a couple times. He was always a threat and putting pressure on the opposing team.

I live in Montreal. There's pretty much citywide disapproval of the way Vanek played.  I watched all the Canadiens/ Rangers series - they broke down two goal against where CBC guys specifically blamed Vanek because he didn't backcheck 

Search Thomas Vanek news for further reviews of his playoff performance:

http://sports.yahoo....-155307895.html

http://www.hockeywil...sh-gone-too-far

#402 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Lol no, Holland did not tell me himself, but he did state in interview after interview that he would not be using his remaining amnesty buyout on Franzen and hinted at possibly using it on Tootoo.

I don't think Franzen will necessarily be "worth" his contract in 5 or 6 years but by then we will have gotten great value on the majority of his contract and I think that's what you can hope for with a contract of this length. No one, including Franzen, including Holland, including Ilitch, fully expected Johan to play until his contract expired, that's why it was front loaded. But with the new CBA, teams can't get away with these front loaded contracts where players could opt to retire in the last couple years anymore.

Franzen's contract may hinder our salary cap a little in the final couple years of his contract but not enough to justify a buyout at this stage, in my opinion...

#403 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Lol no, Holland did not tell me himself, but he did state in interview after interview that he would not be using his remaining amnesty buyout on Franzen and hinted at possibly using it on Tootoo.
I don't think Franzen will necessarily be "worth" his contract in 5 or 6 years but by then we will have gotten great value on the majority of his contract and I think that's what you can hope for with a contract of this length. No one, including Franzen, including Holland, including Ilitch, fully expected Johan to play until his contract expired, that's why it was front loaded. But with the new CBA, teams can't get away with these front loaded contracts where players could opt to retire in the last couple years anymore.
Franzen's contract may hinder our salary cap a little in the final couple years of his contract but not enough to justify a buyout at this stage, in my opinion...

Look I'm looking at this without emotion. I like Franzen he is a good player but he is s depth guy you add to an already stacked roster. We aren't that team anymore, the current Wings generation is entering the twilight careerwise.

This team has the chance to get rid of *potential* risky contract not doing so would be a mistake in my opinion.

Tsn had a discussion about this also and I think Dreger and McKenzie mentioned how Vaneks stock is falling quickly

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#404 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Agree to disagree... I don't see his contract as a risk whatsoever. I also don't think it is an untradeable contract either. I think there are a number of teams that would love to have Franzen, I also think he would get a decent return. But there is a reason Holland probably won't trade him either, he is still a very valuable player, and no number of LGWers saying otherwise is going to change that...

#405 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

He's a donkey punch away from being Eric Lindros part II...

#406 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

As seen against the Rangers or during the Olympics when his national team needed him the most and that Grabber kid absolutely stole the shoe at less than half his pricetag. Vanek is streaky and should lose a few pounds guy has all world talent but never puts it together. As for the mule just buy him out and then sign him on a shorterm proof it contract

That's against the rules. Bettman made sure yzerman knew he could not do that when he bought out lecavalier

#407 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Wait, what? Vanek? He was a ghost in the playoffs

Did you even watch the Canadians? Hell even NBC guys commented in it a couple times. He was always a threat and putting pressure on the opposing team.

Vanek was such a threat he was demoted to the 4th line and the Habs won't even try to re-sign him.

Edited by DickieDunn, 11 June 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#408 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

So Holland told you so I guess? Nobody knows what will happen and I like Franzen but not buying him out will bite this team hard. Prove: that you can takeover games at a more consistent basis and use your massive frame for some physical contact

So you think a guy pushing 35 with a history of concussions and other injuries and possibly depression  has publicly declared he's not a goal scorer and loathes the spotlight is going to suddenly change the way he plays if he signs for less money?(which he can't do any way)