• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#41 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hate? No. Honest dislike for his play? Yes. I don't hate anyone. But Franzen needs to go. I have been saying it for several years. He has amazing talent, but only uses it for 15 games per season. Anyone else performs like that at their jobs and they are fired. So why isn't he?

Franzen isn't a young player that can get better, he is 34. He also has mental issues, has had 3-4 concussions, and a very long term contract. We have 1 more chance to fix all of this. We have 1 buyout left, and it has to be used this summer. No we don't have cap issues this year. In fact we have cap floor issues if we do buy him out. But over the next 2-3 years we have several young guys that will be pushing for long term big money deals. Do we really want to risk getting to the point where we can't resign a Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Dekeyser etc.... becasue we are short of cash due to Franzen's 4 mil per season cap hit? Hell no! In fact is Franzen even going to be able to play in 2-3 years? Concussion effects build up over time.

It is time to cut bait. Using the buyout on Tootoo-who has 1 year left at 1.9 mil is a waste and does nothing for us long term. In both cases each player is going to get their money no matter what happens. Time to buy out Franzen and let him go back home to play in Sweden where he doesn't have to deal with the media/pressure/concussion issues anymore.

#42 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

The endless ragging on Franzen is dull and unproductive.

We all know what he is...an inconsistent, floaty, 25 goal - 50-60 point winger who can play at centre if need be. Despite apocalyptic predictions, his PPG production hasn't dropped off much in the reg season, though he is struggling in the playoffs. He has been the same player for 4 years or so after that major knee injury slowed him a touch. 

His confidence/shyness issues have been hampering him on and off for his whole career. He was drafted as a 4th liner with upside, and his play alternates between the standard of all four lines. For 20 games a season he's a 3rd liner, for 35 he's a second liner, for 15 he's a first liner, and for the rest he's injured or invisible. He's always been super streaky. It all depends on when his streaks hit. In this series he's actually been getting chances and making some very good rushes, and with the level of finishing we've previously seen from him, he could easily have 3 or 4 goals, but he's been missing the net from decent situations. Admittedly this is mostly from the outside or hovering centrally out of traffic, but he has broken through multiple checks only to find himself isolated on occasions. 

I feel given his obvious flaws, he has been misused. You need him to be with someone who plays with high intensity in attack, and someone else defensively responsible enough for him to be freed up OR you play him with someone like Zetterburg who alternates between centre and wing, and thus encourages Franzen to do the same. 

Mule, apart from his 10 game bursts, can't anchor a line. but he's a defensively responsibly streaker points scorer, who is currently worth his contract, and whose less physically engaged style of play should lend him greater longevity than other comparative peers (and the lower intensity of his pre  NHL career). I think by the time he no longer represents value, either the cap hit will be unimportant, or he'll be on LTIR. 

I wouldn't be upset if we trade him for decent value, but buying him out is a waste of resources in the short and medium term. At worst he'll be an over-priced top level third liner. I can live with that. There are certainly bigger fish to fry.

Edited by lomekian, 26 April 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#43 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

The endless ragging on Franzen is dull and unproductive.

We all know what he is...an inconsistent, floaty, 25 goal - 50-60 point winger who can play at centre if need be. Despite apocalyptic predictions, his PPG production hasn't dropped off much in the reg season, though he is struggling in the playoffs. He has been the same player for 4 years or so after that major knee injury slowed him a touch. 

His confidence/shyness issues have been hampering him on and off for his whole career. He was drafted as a 4th liner with upside, and his play alternates between the standard of all four lines. For 20 games a season he's a 3rd liner, for 35 he's a second liner, for 15 he's a first liner, and for the rest he's injured or invisible. He's always been super streaky. It all depends on when his streaks hit. In this series he's actually been getting chances and making some very good rushes, and with the level of finishing we've previously seen from him, he could easily have 3 or 4 goals, but he's been missing the net from decent situations. Admittedly this is mostly from the outside or hovering centrally out of traffic, but he has broken through multiple checks only to find himself isolated on occasions. 

I feel given his obvious flaws, he has been misused. You need him to be with someone who plays with high intensity in attack, and someone else defensively responsible enough for him to be freed up OR you play him with someone like Zetterburg who alternates between centre and wing, and thus encourages Franzen to do the same. 

Mule, apart from his 10 game bursts, can't anchor a line. but he's a defensively responsibly streaker points scorer, who is currently worth his contract, and whose less physically engaged style of play should lend him greater longevity than other comparative peers (and the lower intensity of his pre  NHL career). I think by the time he no longer represents value, either the cap hit will be unimportant, or he'll be on LTIR. 

I wouldn't be upset if we trade him for decent value, but buying him out is a waste of resources in the short and medium term. At worst he'll be an over-priced top level third liner. I can live with that. There are certainly bigger fish to fry.

Just an idea: UPGRADE over him. He isn't what we need-as you pointed out. There are only so many roster spots and if he can't be the player we need then replace him. That is how the real world works. Don't try, do or don't do. If you do, great we will keep you around. if not, then bring in the next guy. Pretty simple.

#44 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

http://kuklaskorner....inevitable-exit

Interesting.

#45 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, thats exactly what I was getting at with the same comments from Babs in the mlive article. If we assume that Babs's tone reflects, at least to some degree, the attitude of the front office.....Franzen is gone unless he makes a huge change starting today. 

#46 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I can see Babs wanting Franzen gone and Holland ultimately nixing the plan this summer. Holland has a lot of trouble letting players go that have been with the organization. He will just say Franzen provides good value for the contract, knows the system, can perform better when healthy a full season, etc.

It's time for Franzen to be done here. If he's lazy now, imagine how ugly it will get as he continues to age. This season has proven the Wings youth at forward can play in the NHL. Franzen may have been less expendable a year ago, but he's definitely not anymore.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#47 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I hope this is true, but until I see the TSN article "Wings to use compliance buyout on Johan Franzen" I won't believe it.  

#NOMOREKINDL

#48 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I hope this is true, but until I see the TSN article "Wings to use compliance buyout on Johan Franzen" I won't believe it.  

He does have a reasonable contract cap hit wise. Obviously the length sucks, but cap hit wise it is not too bad. So before just buying him out, I would try to make up a package of him and w.e else to make a trade to get something, like maybe Stewart from Buffalo. If there are no takers, then by all means yes buy him out. 

#49 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

He does have a reasonable contract cap hit wise. Obviously the length sucks, but cap hit wise it is not too bad. So before just buying him out, I would try to make up a package of him and w.e else to make a trade to get something, like maybe Stewart from Buffalo. If there are no takers, then by all means yes buy him out. 

Very true. I've gotta imagine at his cap # someone will be interested in him. At the end of the day, he should be done as a Wing, either via trade or buyout.

#NOMOREKINDL

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Very true. I've gotta imagine at his cap # someone will be interested in him. At the end of the day, he should be done as a Wing, either via trade or buyout.

I can't remember all the ins and outs of the new CBA, but the Wings can pick up part of his salary in a trade, can't they? 

There might be a situation where that makes more financial sense than a full buyout.  

Again, though I don't know enough about the CBA rules regarding buyouts and eating salary to be sure. 

#51 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

I don't see us using the buyout on him. His cap hit isn't bad and I'm sure some team would like to take him. He'd be traded. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#52 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Just an idea: UPGRADE over him. He isn't what we need-as you pointed out. There are only so many roster spots and if he can't be the player we need then replace him. That is how the real world works. Don't try, do or don't do. If you do, great we will keep you around. if not, then bring in the next guy. Pretty simple.

I'm fine with UPGRADING. But people want to jettison him before upgrading, Rather than giving him away, I'd rather risk having him end up as an expensive third liner, particularly if we continue to pursue the youth movement.

#53 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

This is exactly my point. People just want to crash and burn with him. Package him to a team with cap space, for the help on D we desperately need or gamble and keep him with a view to trading down the line. The discussion acts like he is utterly worthless. If he was shorter term or half the salary, everyone would be happy. He looks like a change of scenery may help, and another GM may agree.

We need to stop thinking of him as a core part, and see him as the complementary player that he is. Thus tradeable, but not junk. People talk as if he is Sammy, Cleary mid-season Bert or Weiss. He still kept up his 0.65-0.7  PPG average....without 15m on Sammy, Cleary, Bert, Quncey & Weiss, We could have exactly the no 2 D and 1st line winger that this team needs.And Franzen could be the 2nd/3rd line support guy he should be.

#54 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Honestly Franzen hasn't been the same since he got that big contract. And he even said himself after someone tried to fight him this year that he's scared to get another concussion. Having apprehension to be physical in this game makes him a liability IMO, as well as ineffective. He needs to go along with Weiss, Alfie, Cleary, bertuzzi and Sammy. They can pay for a really good forward or two and a Dman this offseason. Just look at the cap space those guys are wasting. Legwand can go too. He's not that effective either.
mccarty3

#55 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Franzen is a disgrace and Lashoff is terrible at playing hockey. Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#56 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Bump
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#57 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Earned the hate tonight. Not only did he float - but he took stupid penalties and gave the puck away leading to a goal.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#58 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

He probably takes a sizeable chunk of the blame for ending the Wings' season tonight.  It probably makes him look bad and I'm glad because it might light a fire under Kenny to let him go.

#59 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Franzen would fit in with the Canucks. Maybe we could get Kesler or Edler for Franzen and a pick/prospect.

#60 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Okay, so everyone thinks he sucks, but yet think he'll get us a decent return for a solid defenseman or at top 6 forward?