• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#61 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Okay, so everyone thinks he sucks, but yet think he'll get us a decent return for a solid defenseman or at top 6 forward?

He doesn't suck. We're just tired of him. This team is stale and some changes need to be made.

#62 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

He has to be bought out if anything. Can't risk a trade as this team will be in cap hell when he no doubt retires before the contract is up.

#63 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'd love to see him traded. Imagine him having to deal with a new team and coach who actually rides his a$$. I'll take that as justice. He'll be miserable and regretting his effort and commitment to this team until his number and career fade away to a collection of meaningless stats. Such a waste, but it's his fault above all others. He is not someone who reflects the work ethic of this team or city.

#64 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'd love to see him traded. Imagine him having to deal with a new team and coach who actually rides his a$$. I'll take that as justice. He'll be miserable and regretting his effort and commitment to this team until his number and career fade away to a collection of meaningless stats. Such a waste, but it's his fault above all others. He is not someone who reflects the work ethic of this team or city.

If he were traded, The Wings would be the team getting screwed in the end with a huge cap hit when he retires. Trading him would be insanity. A buyout is the only option.

#65 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

IIRC if we were  trade Franzen and he retires before the end of his contract, we get hit with the cap penalties.

#66 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

If he were traded, The Wings would be the team getting screwed in the end with a huge cap hit when he retires. Trading him would be insanity. A buyout is the only option.

Whatever, I leave the business end to you. I just want him gone. 

#67 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Whatever, I leave the business end to you. I just want him gone. 

No sir the business end comes down to Wings management. 

#68 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

He doesn't suck. We're just tired of him. This team is stale and some changes need to be made.

Ill disagree and say he does suck. When hes on, which is 20 games a season but slowly becoming less, he is good. When he is off he is terrible. He doesn't bring anything to the team outside of scoring. He doesn't use his size, he doesn't have speed, hes not a good defender, and he turns the puck over constantly. He has been the Wings worst player since the start of March. Not just because he hasn't scored but hes been a liability on the ice. Weiss has been more beneficial to the team in that time by not playing than Franzen was while playing. Take today for example. Franzen was horrible. Wings tie it up and go back on the PP. He then goes and takes a stupid holding penalty because he was to lazy to try and skate to the puck or use his body to push the player off it. That lead to the series of plays leading to the second goal. Then he throws a terrible pass up the middle that you expect to see in midget hockey not the pros leading to the game winner. Franzen hurts the team more than helping.

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

With good reason.

2014  5 GP  0 G  2 A  -2

2013 14 GP 4 G  2 A  -7

2012  5 GP  1 G  0 A  -1

2011  8 GP  2 G  1 A  -1

32 games played, 7 goals, 5 assists and a collective -11 after the 2010 playoffs.

#70 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

How much of what is happening to him is due to his "mental situation"?  

The Wings were guarded about that earlier this season, but something seems to be going on.  Not sure what.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#71 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Tatar is 40 lbs lighter and plays "heavier" on the puck than this big sack of marshmallows.   Buy him out and put him in the rearview.  

#72 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

How does that work? Doesn't the team taking him pay at the leash for his salary if he retires ? I heard something about that when the canucks traded luongo but I don't think there gonna pay it all if he retires

It's too bad I was thinking if stl gets out name dissapoints yet again then they'll need to make some changes , didn't check there roster but I was thinkin we could add someone physical if they'd take a chance for mule? ... Maybe he'd fit better there with a team having his back being he's a wuss

#73 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

He has to be bought out if anything. Can't risk a trade as this team will be in cap hell when he no doubt retires before the contract is up.

The recapture penalty actually wouldn't be nearly as bad as many people seem to think. Holland does have to be careful, though. Lots of kids and lots of cap space is cool, but eventually those kids will be making serious money.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#74 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

What exactly are the rules for the cap penalty if he were traded?

#75 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

The Wings were guarded about that earlier this season, but something seems to be going on.  Not sure what.  

I've wondered about this.

At the end of the day, we (especially me, I guess, given all the s*** I've talked about him in the past four hours) probably aren't getting even half the full story, and he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Even by his streaky standards, he was really off here in the final stretch.

One thing that's worth keeping in mind (and, again, I'm calling myself out more than anyone else) is that concussions can really, really mess you up in many different ways. Mix that together with what I guess we'll call Anxiety Issues, and maybe we should be applauding him for pushing on through some really bad stuff rather than trashing him for things that might be a great deal more complicated than "He's lazy and complacent." At the very least, we should probably reserve total judgment. (I'm looking at you, Dabura.)

Also, I found it interesting that Babs made a point of, yes, calling Franzen out, but also saying he's a good man and a good family man. My understanding is that that's pretty much the highest compliment Mike Babcock feels he can pay a person. (He said something earlier this season about Alfie and how being a good man and a good family man is the ultimate thing and everything hockey-related is secondary. Unless I'm remembering it wrong.)

OK, that's my monthly Politically Correct TL;DR post.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#76 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

The recapture penalty actually wouldn't be nearly as bad as many people seem to think. Holland does have to be careful, though. Lots of kids and lots of cap space is cool, but eventually those kids will be making serious money.

All depends on when he retires. It can be very bad, it could possibly not be all that bad. In the end, not worth the risk as it isn't like the team would know a couple years ahead of time when he'd retire to prepare for it. The cap penalty would basically come out of nowhere which would be disastrous is it were a big one

#77 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

No matter what this "mental situation" is he is still making I believe 4 million bucks a year.  People who make 10 bucks an hour or less go through crap too but yet we suck it up and still perform at work.  His ass has to go.

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#78 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

I've wondered about this.

At the end of the day, we (especially me, I guess, given all the s*** I've talked about him in the past four hours) probably aren't getting even half the full story, and he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Even by his streaky standards, he was really off here in the final stretch.

It doesnt matter what the reason is be it mental, family, or injury. He is not producing more and more. Its not something new as its been this way for 4 years now. Point being he is not doing what hes paid to do at the most crucial times. Its time cut the dead weight and that includes him. If you only showed up to your job and were productive 1 of 5 days would you expect to keep your job let alone get millions for it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#79 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Franzen is an OK regular season player but his playoff performance has dropped off significantly.   Boy, I miss those days when he has that beast mode gear and score a goal a game. 

#80 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

I think Franzen's 25 goal seasons are behind him. I can only see him getting worse from here. This team going forward really scares me.