• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsnake

Monster confirmed to start Game 5.

Rate this topic

There's a story floating around that Howard may have a concussion... Aaron Ward tweeted something about that, says it may stem from a collision with Soderberg in Game 3.

I was just coming on to discuss this after hearing Monster is starting game 5. If anyone recalls, Howard was kneed in the head in game 3 when a Bruin was pushed into him. He was shaken up on the play and skated away from the net hunched over.

If Howard had a concussion, wouldn't he not be allowed to backup in Game 5? Aren't there pretty clear rules about players with concussions? I don't buy the story if he is backup tomorrow as Babcock suggested.

If Howard had a concussion, wouldn't he not be allowed to backup in Game 5? Aren't there pretty clear rules about players with concussions? I don't buy the story if he is backup tomorrow as Babcock suggested.

Wings recalled Jake Paterson from Grand Rapids. He practiced today and is expected to back-up Gustavsson tomorrow. Howard on trip but ill.

Wings recalled Jake Paterson from Grand Rapids. He practiced today and is expected to back-up Gustavsson tomorrow. Howard on trip but ill.

Interesting. Gotta love all the mixed messages in the playoffs. Surprised they don't have Mrazak coming up though considering Gustavsson hasn't exactly been the most robust goalie this year. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with Mrazak if a groin injury pops up again.

But in any event, I still am not wholly buying the concussion rumor. I've seen the play, heard several people report it, but something about the whole situation just feels a bit off for it to be a concussion. Wouldn't something like that have been caught sooner than pre-game warmups? And wasn't Gus told before warmups that he might get the start? From what I understand, Jimmy was in the pre-game warmups and the call was made after that he couldn't go. If they had a suspicion that something was up and it was a concussion, he wouldn't be taking pre-game warmups. Concussions aren't something you see if you can play through. So I'm thinking it really is the flu or it's some other more minor injury they're trying to hide as it's the playoffs. Again, keep in mind that Babcock said after Friday's practice that Gus was starting game 5 and he expected Howard to be backup. He would know if it's a concussion or not, and if he knew it was a concussion, he'd know Howard isn't going to be the backup, and there just isn't really any psychological angle to suggesting otherwise.

Maybe I'm reaching, but something doesn't add up, and I'd prefer to believe that it's truly the flu or a more minor injury. It's far more likely that he could return for game 6 if we pull off a win if it's one of those two things, whereas if it is a concussion, you'd have to think he's at least done for this series. I'm really not trying to be negative about Gus, because I think he's a fine backup and he was great in game 4, but he's the backup and Jimmy is the starter for a reason.

Interesting. Gotta love all the mixed messages in the playoffs. Surprised they don't have Mrazak coming up though considering Gustavsson hasn't exactly been the most robust goalie this year. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with Mrazak if a groin injury pops up again.

But in any event, I still am not wholly buying the concussion rumor. I've seen the play, heard several people report it, but something about the whole situation just feels a bit off for it to be a concussion. Wouldn't something like that have been caught sooner than pre-game warmups? And wasn't Gus told before warmups that he might get the start? From what I understand, Jimmy was in the pre-game warmups and the call was made after that he couldn't go. If they had a suspicion that something was up and it was a concussion, he wouldn't be taking pre-game warmups. Concussions aren't something you see if you can play through. So I'm thinking it really is the flu or it's some other more minor injury they're trying to hide as it's the playoffs. Again, keep in mind that Babcock said after Friday's practice that Gus was starting game 5 and he expected Howard to be backup. He would know if it's a concussion or not, and if he knew it was a concussion, he'd know Howard isn't going to be the backup, and there just isn't really any psychological angle to suggesting otherwise.

Maybe I'm reaching, but something doesn't add up, and I'd prefer to believe that it's truly the flu or a more minor injury. It's far more likely that he could return for game 6 if we pull off a win if it's one of those two things, whereas if it is a concussion, you'd have to think he's at least done for this series. I'm really not trying to be negative about Gus, because I think he's a fine backup and he was great in game 4, but he's the backup and Jimmy is the starter for a reason.

Yup good ol wings brass hiding a minor injury by saying it's a concussion, don't know how you cracked the code

So Gustavsson will be caught out of position, bobble the puck and provide juicy rebounds and wide open nets.... Only to allow two goals the entire game.

Love this, his style makes me constantly nervous but magically he usually gets the job done.

Love this, his style makes me constantly nervous but magically he usually gets the job done.

this! With Monster in net I always feel the next shot goes in but it almost never happens :)

This season showed how big of a mistake we made paying average goalie 5M per year. Gustaffson was clearly the better one.

this! With Monster in net I always feel the next shot goes in but it almost never happens :)

This season showed how big of a mistake we made paying average goalie 5M per year. Gustaffson was clearly the better one.

Besides wins (which is somewhat flawed because the Wings scored more with Monster in net), what was Gustavsson clearly better at this season? Since the new year, his numbers are terrible.

I don't know if I can watch today. The way they've played, combines with this being an afternoon NBC elimination game points to an embarrassing massacre.

On the other hand, I still hope they can extend the series and out up a fight finally.

Monster, for whatever reason, gives them the best chance to win. They usually score more with him in net.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Uh.... And what happens if Monster gets injured during the game?

Paterson is right out of juniors, he hasn't even played an AHL game yet, let alone an NHL game.

Attention... Today's backup goaltender has never played in a pro hockey game in his life before.

Uh.... And what happens if Monster gets injured during the game?

Paterson is right out of juniors, he hasn't even played an AHL game yet, let alone an NHL game.

Attention... Today's backup goaltender has never played in a pro hockey game in his life before.

And he'll probably suck.

nicholsonlaugh.gif

right... better goalie

Guest Playmaker

I disagree, I think the concussion thing makes the most sense. I'm thinking Jimmy kept saying he was fine and was somehow able to fake his way through the protocol. He probably did or said something before game 4 that made the medical staff realize he wasn't good to go. Much more plausible to me than the flu at the very last second. Also, if he was just a little ill, he'd be the backup and they wouldn't have named Monster the starter so soon.