• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Will Mantha join GR after the QMJHL playoffs?

Rate this topic

Dekeyser didn't play any regular season games for the Griffins last year and played in the playoffs

Yesterday I was talking to a member of the Griffins management, he is the one that told me that. Now does playing in the NHL change things ref Dekeyser? No idea. Not a rules expert. Just repeating what I was told by someone that works there.

You don't have to play a game, but you have to be on the active roster on a certain date. Last year, the Wings "sent down" Nyquist, Andersson, DeKeyser, and Lashoff, then recalled them hours later. It was a paper transaction to make them eligible for the AHL playoffs once the Wings' season was over.

Stupid rule. But yeah, I do recall the paper transaction just so the kids could play in the Calder Cup playoffs.

I wonder if the Wings will still send him to GR just for the sake of playoff exposure and training experience, or wait until summer dev camp.

Stupid rule. But yeah, I do recall the paper transaction just so the kids could play in the Calder Cup playoffs.

I wonder if the Wings will still send him to GR just for the sake of playoff exposure and training experience, or wait until summer dev camp.

If the timing works out, he will come to GR. He can be a black ace and start to see what being a pro player is all about. Don't forget he needs to add some strength and weight. he is currently listed as 6-5/205 which is very skinny. It would be awesome if he plays in the 215-220 range next season.

Why is it a stupid rule?

Most of us would like to see Mantha get his feet wet in the AHL right now, but we'll have to wait until next year. It might be a good rule in general, but its frustrating for Wings fans in this one case.

Detroit Sports nation on Twitter just said he will join gr for whatever is remaining in their playoffs after qmjhl playoffs. Don't know where they heard that from so don't take it as a lock..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

He may be playing for another month if he makes it to the Memorial Cup

If Val D'or makes the memorial cup he won't be playing in Grand Rapids at all. The AHL playoffs would almost be over and if the Griffins are still alive I doubt they'd bring in a rookie, even as skilled as Mantha over the guys who would have brought them there.

I'm pretty sure the difference between the DeKeyser and Mantha situation in regards to GR is the fact that Mantha plays major junior and DK was playing college. The CHL "protects" their assets a bit more than the NCAA.

I have no proof to back up this statement.

I'm pretty sure the difference between the DeKeyser and Mantha situation in regards to GR is the fact that Mantha plays major junior and DK was playing college. The CHL "protects" their assets a bit more than the NCAA.

I have no proof to back up this statement.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but their situations were 100% different. DeKeyser, an undrafted free agent, left WMU and signed with the Red Wings after Western's season ended. Mantha, who was drafted and is already signed with Detroit, is still playing with his junior team, and under the agreement between the NHL and CHL, the Wings can't call him up to the AHL until his junior season is over.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but their situations were 100% different. DeKeyser, an undrafted free agent, left WMU and signed with the Red Wings after Western's season ended. Mantha, who was drafted and is already signed with Detroit, is still playing with his junior team, and under the agreement between the NHL and CHL, the Wings can't call him up to the AHL until his junior season is over.

the discussion was about after Mantha's season was over

I know a lot of people are looking forward to see what this kid will bring to the organization. But I can see him not becoming a regular for 2 more years. It's Kenny's way!

Well, considering he has yet to play pro hockey, its for the best he spends a year or two in GR. he has a lot to learn, and he himself has even said so himself. Love the kids attitude though.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to see what this kid will bring to the organization. But I can see him not becoming a regular for 2 more years. It's Kenny's way!

You need to read more KH interviews. He's stated repeatedly Mantha will be on the team sooner rather than later, that he's not going to follow the usual "ripening" process, and that he will be given the chance to make the team in training camp.

Personally, I think him and Jurco will battle it out. Winner stays up, loser goes to GR as first injury call up.

Well, considering he has yet to play pro hockey, its for the best he spends a year or two in GR. he has a lot to learn, and he himself has even said so himself. Love the kids attitude though.

Agreed, there is absolutely no point in rushing this kid I still believe he will turn out as a steal in this draft but it takes time. Let him turn PRO learn all the inns and outs and bring him up when Blas and Babs are saying he is ready not before.

Guest DeGraa55

You need to read more KH interviews. He's stated repeatedly Mantha will be on the team sooner rather than later, that he's not going to follow the usual "ripening" process, and that he will be given the chance to make the team in training camp.

Personally, I think him and Jurco will battle it out. Winner stays up, loser goes to GR as first injury call up.

Id keep both up with Sheahan as a third line. Edited by DeGraa55

Hmm I think he should spend the next year in GR getting to grips with the pro game. That way, if he's lighting it up then we can add him. I think I'd rather that, and have him gaining confidence in a man's league and then heading up the NHL rather than trying to learn it the hard way in the NHL, struggling (potentially) and then having to be demoted.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but it makes me excited as hell to think what he could turn out to be.