• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Will Mantha join GR after the QMJHL playoffs?

Rate this topic

Hmm I think he should spend the next year in GR getting to grips with the pro game. That way, if he's lighting it up then we can add him. I think I'd rather that, and have him gaining confidence in a man's league and then heading up the NHL rather than trying to learn it the hard way in the NHL, struggling (potentially) and then having to be demoted.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but it makes me excited as hell to think what he could turn out to be.

Agreed!

Plus I look at the ice time situation. If he plays in Grand Rapids, he will get 1st or 2nd line minutes, plus special teams time as well. If he plays in the NHL, he probably will play 3rd to 4th line minutes with no power play time. I would rather have him playing 16-18 minutes a night in GR than 8-10 minutes a night in the NHL.

I don't think that will work with Mantha. The kid is a natural talent. Best to get him into the NHL and learn the ropes there. There are limits to what you can learn in the AHL.

Agreed.

Something we're missing a bit I think is the fact that the Wings tend to let the smaller guys over-ripen more. It's no coincidence that Nyquist and Tatar both maxed out their waiver exemptions before sticking with the big club while Sheahan and especially Jurco seem to have carved themsleves an NHL niche a little prematurely by Wings standards.

Matha has elite size for a scoring winger. This alone should speed up his development.

OK Wings history buffs, who was the last Wing successfully make the jump from juniors to the big league?

Primeau? Lapointe bounced around between Junior, AHL and NHL for several seasons.

Not Primeau, but he was close - actually he made the jump but was sent back down to Adirondack the following season.

So we're still looking for some kind of precedent :g:

Dandenault only played 4 games with Adirondack in 1995-96. QMJHL product...

Yeah, there we go! Good find! Its been a long time, if that was the last player. Could be time for another.

In a perfect world he would replace Franzen in the lineup. Holland doesn't have the stones to do something like that though.

I'd rather let Franzen know that Jurco and Mantha want his job, see if it lights a fire under his ass.

I'd rather let Franzen know that Jurco and Mantha want his job, see if it lights a fire under his ass.

Well he isn't going to be playing until 2019-2020 when his contract expires anyway and by then we will have Mantha, Jurco, Pulks all as RW on the roster so I see no need to keep him if we can buy him out for nothing this year or better trade him. And that is without any UFA acquisitions. I think you have to hedge your bets and we are better long term without him on the roster.

Buying out players only happens when there significantly overpaid. Franzen, regardless of ur own qualms with him, is worth 4 million, and would get more than that per year on the open market. Tootoo, whether u like him or not, doesn't play, and is therefore worthy of a buyout.

Sure Franzen has that ridiculously long contract, but I'm willing to bet he's still enough decent at 38. If I'm wrong when that rolls around ill change toon, but till then I believe

Watched the Griffs game online last night. They're announcers said Kenny had told them if the Griffs are still paying when Val D'ors is done Mantha will be sent to the GR

Athanasiou and Backman are going to be good ones. I've also been impressed by RH Dman Nick Jensen

Buying out players only happens when there significantly overpaid. Franzen, regardless of ur own qualms with him, is worth 4 million, and would get more than that per year on the open market. Tootoo, whether u like him or not, doesn't play, and is therefore worthy of a buyout.

Sure Franzen has that ridiculously long contract, but I'm willing to bet he's still enough decent at 38. If I'm wrong when that rolls around ill change toon, but till then I believe

Then send him packing. Not looking at stats Franzen is not worth much. I would rather an asset in his place then a liability. He's Ovi except 1/10th the player, when he isn't scoring he doesn't do anything else.

Then send him packing. Not looking at stats Franzen is not worth much. I would rather an asset in his place then a liability. He's Ovi except 1/10th the player, when he isn't scoring he doesn't do anything else.

I don't think he's a liability at all, just not much of an asset when he's not scoring. He's also on 1/10 of Ovis contract