Photo
- - - - -

Will Mantha join GR after the QMJHL playoffs?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:00 AM

I know a lot of people are looking forward to see what this kid will bring to the organization. But I can see him not becoming a regular for 2 more years. It's Kenny's way!

Well, considering he has yet to play pro hockey, its for the best he spends a year or two in GR. he has a lot to learn, and he himself has even said so himself. Love the kids attitude though.

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

I know a lot of people are looking forward to see what this kid will bring to the organization. But I can see him not becoming a regular for 2 more years. It's Kenny's way!

You need to read more KH interviews.  He's stated repeatedly Mantha will be on the team sooner rather than later, that he's not going to follow the usual "ripening" process, and that he will be given the chance to make the team in training camp.

Personally, I think him and Jurco will battle it out.  Winner stays up, loser goes to GR as first injury call up.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

Well, considering he has yet to play pro hockey, its for the best he spends a year or two in GR. he has a lot to learn, and he himself has even said so himself. Love the kids attitude though.

Agreed, there is absolutely no point in rushing this kid I still believe he will turn out as a steal in this draft but it takes time. Let him turn PRO learn all the inns and outs and bring him up when Blas and Babs are saying he is ready not before.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

You need to read more KH interviews.  He's stated repeatedly Mantha will be on the team sooner rather than later, that he's not going to follow the usual "ripening" process, and that he will be given the chance to make the team in training camp.

Personally, I think him and Jurco will battle it out.  Winner stays up, loser goes to GR as first injury call up.

Id keep both up with Sheahan as a third line.

Edited by DeGraa55, 01 May 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#25 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hmm I think he should spend the next year in GR getting to grips with the pro game. That way, if he's lighting it up then we can add him. I think I'd rather that, and have him gaining confidence in a man's league and then heading up the NHL rather than trying to learn it the hard way in the NHL, struggling (potentially) and then having to be demoted. 

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but it makes me excited as hell to think what he could turn out to be. 

temp 1

#26 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hmm I think he should spend the next year in GR getting to grips with the pro game. That way, if he's lighting it up then we can add him. I think I'd rather that, and have him gaining confidence in a man's league and then heading up the NHL rather than trying to learn it the hard way in the NHL, struggling (potentially) and then having to be demoted. 

Obviously this is all hypothetical, but it makes me excited as hell to think what he could turn out to be. 

Agreed!

Plus I look at the ice time situation.  If he plays in Grand Rapids, he will get 1st or 2nd line minutes, plus special teams time as well.  If he plays in the NHL, he probably will play 3rd to 4th line minutes with no power play time.  I would rather have him playing 16-18 minutes a night in GR than 8-10 minutes a night in the NHL.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

I don't think that will work with Mantha. The kid is a natural talent. Best to get him into the NHL and learn the ropes there. There are limits to what you can learn in the AHL.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

Let Mantha be our trade deadline pickup.

#29 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

I don't think that will work with Mantha. The kid is a natural talent. Best to get him into the NHL and learn the ropes there. There are limits to what you can learn in the AHL.

Agreed.

Something we're missing a bit I think is the fact that the Wings tend to let the smaller guys over-ripen more. It's no coincidence that Nyquist and Tatar both maxed out their waiver exemptions before sticking with the big club while Sheahan and especially Jurco seem to have carved themsleves an NHL niche a little prematurely by Wings standards.

Matha has elite size for a scoring winger. This alone should speed up his development.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#30 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

I think he'll be in Detroit to start the season

#31 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

OK Wings history buffs, who was the last Wing successfully make the jump from juniors to the big league?

#32 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

OK Wings history buffs, who was the last Wing successfully make the jump from juniors to the big league?

I won't believe any other answer besides Maltby. For obvious reasons.

#33 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Primeau?  Lapointe bounced around between Junior, AHL and NHL for several seasons.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#34 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, my guess would be Primeau or Lapointe. It's not a common thing, but if anyone can make the jump it's Mantha.

#NOMOREKINDL

#35 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Def not LaPointe. I watched him and Aaron Ward both play for the farm team.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#36 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Dandenault only played 4 games with Adirondack in 1995-96. QMJHL product...
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#37 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Not Primeau, but he was close - actually he made the jump but was sent back down to Adirondack the following season. 

So we're still looking for some kind of precedent  :g:

Dandenault only played 4 games with Adirondack in 1995-96. QMJHL product...

Yeah, there we go! Good find! Its been a long time, if that was the last player. Could be time for another. 

#38 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

In a perfect world he would replace Franzen in the lineup. Holland doesn't have the stones to do something like that though. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

In a perfect world he would replace Franzen in the lineup. Holland doesn't have the stones to do something like that though. 

I'd rather let Franzen know that Jurco and Mantha want his job, see if it lights a fire under his ass.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'd rather let Franzen know that Jurco and Mantha want his job, see if it lights a fire under his ass.

Well he isn't going to be playing until 2019-2020 when his contract expires anyway and by then we will have Mantha, Jurco, Pulks all as RW on the roster so I see no need to keep him if we can buy him out for nothing this year or better trade him. And that is without any UFA acquisitions. I think you have to hedge your bets and we are better long term without him on the roster.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?