• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Felt bad for the Heat last night....they're getting kicked out of town by the arena authority (next stop, Glens Fals, NY?) so there were like a dozen people there for what was most likely the last home game ever.

Griffs looked amazing...do not sleep on Andej Nestrasil.   It took him a couple of years to develop, but he has a very nice game between the dots.   I'm not sweating the Jarnkrok trade nearly as much having seen Janmark play a game or two.  He's, bigger and he has some skills...he made a very nice move tot he cage to set up Parkes on that first goal last night.

Edited by Shinzaki, 27 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

The roster is hilariously awesome.

It's kinda bittersweet for me, though. Knowing Blashill's going to be plucked by the Leafs and s***. blargh.

The way he was talking last week it sounds like he wants to see out his contract with the Griffs (summer 2015)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Griffins lighting up and The Mitch isn't even back yet. I've got a great feeling they can go all the way.

A hockey team that plays with PASSION and ENERGY. Griffins have got an almost perfect blend of size, skill, speed and physicality. Gonna be heard to stop.

Just wish the Wings took a few lessons on how GR has lit up the AHL the past few years.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#24 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I am not sure if this could happen but if i'm wrong someone please correct me.

Anthony Mantha and Val'dor are down to the final game, if they lose they are eliminated. Mantha should be able to come to GR should his team be eliminated which makes our team even better. I have a feeling he will score quite a bit of goals for us. This will also help him get ready to hopefully get a chance for the team next year. The kid is incredible.

Season Stats:

57GP 57G 63A 120P

Playoff Stats:

15GP 17G 7A 24P

• Nev likes this

#25 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I am not sure if this could happen but if i'm wrong someone please correct me.

Anthony Mantha and Val'dor are down to the final game, if they lose they are eliminated. Mantha should be able to come to GR should his team be eliminated which makes our team even better. I have a feeling he will score quite a bit of goals for us. This will also help him get ready to hopefully get a chance for the team next year. The kid is incredible.

Season Stats:

57GP 57G 63A 120P

Playoff Stats:

15GP 17G 7A 24P

It's already been pointed out elsewhere that Mantha is disqualified from playing in this AHL postseason due to not being on the roster prior to the end of the regular season. This applies to DeKeyser as well.

#26 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Dekeyser isn't eligible to play for Grand Rapids because he's played too many NHL games. I may be wrong but I think the rule you're referencing is for sending players down to the AHL from an NHL team.

As far as I know Mantha is completely eligible to join the Griffins just as Ouellet and Sproul did last season. He seems to think he's eligible based on this quote.

“To be honest, I’m not really thinking about it,” he said. “I’m trying to focus on my playoffs right now. Who knows? Maybe if Grand Rapids (Detroit’s AHL affiliate) go far this year, I might head up after my season here is finished.”

#27 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

It's already been pointed out elsewhere that Mantha is disqualified from playing in this AHL postseason due to not being on the roster prior to the end of the regular season. This applies to DeKeyser as well.

not true..guys from the CHL can jump in when their season ends

edit: see Athanasiou, Paterson, Nastasiuk as an example

Edited by ahkmed, 27 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#28 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

not true..guys from the CHL can jump in when their season ends

edit: see Athanasiou, Paterson, Nastasiuk as an example

Then why is Richdg saying he talked to a member of GR management and they said otherwise, over in the Mantha thread? Lol

#29 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

To be perfectly honest, my interest in hockey has been wavering at best - failing to watch as much as a period of the NHL Playoffs to this point - but I am extremely excited for the Calder Cup Playoffs and to be at the Van Andel on Wednesday.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#30 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

The way he was talking last week it sounds like he wants to see out his contract with the Griffs (summer 2015)

This is encouraging. But I think it's extremely unlikely he stays with the organization much longer.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#31 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

This is encouraging. But I think it's extremely unlikely he stays with the organization much longer.

He needs some time and the right fit.... Coming from the front office, what is that supposed to mean?

#32 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't think its an accident that his contract ends at the exact same time as Babcock's

#33 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

There's zero chance that the Griffins will defend their Calder Cup......................

......................without Jarnkrok :ninja:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#34 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

I don't think its an accident that his contract ends at the exact same time as Babcock's

And Babcock says he thinks a man is no longer effective after 9 (I think, don't remember the exact number) years in a job and next year will be his 9th year as head coach here.

#35 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

And Babcock says he thinks a man is no longer effective after 9 (I think, don't remember the exact number) years in a job and next year will be his 9th year as head coach here.

If Blashill becomes Babcock's successor, it will be because the same guy has been coaching the same players for too long. The irony is that he (Blashill) will actually have coached a lot of the guys on the 2015 Red Wings team for several years already via the Griffins. Not exactly a fresh face.  

Edited by rick zombo, 28 April 2014 - 02:16 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#36 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Griffins move on to the next round, and for the 2nd year in a row has their opponent's last game ever played end on their home ice....in the first round.

Pulk with a heck a slapper.  Hogan with 2.  Sheahan with 1 and Ferraro with an EN.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#37 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

Then why is Richdg saying he talked to a member of GR management and they said otherwise, over in the Mantha thread? Lol

I watched the game yesterday and the announcer's mentioned that Holland said Mantha would join the Griffins if they outlast Val'd Or. Not sure if this means Mantha will be playing though.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate