• Please log in to reply
1032 replies to this topic

#981 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

I could probably be alright with one of Legwand or Alfie back, but not both. I don't really see why Legwand would be necessary with Weiss healthy and a bunch of centers already on the roster. Alfie was not good after the Olympics, though injuries probably played a major role.

First order of business has to be fixing the defense.

There was a period of time after the Olympics where Alfie wasn't as good, but neither was Kronwall. They both had long Olympic runs while everyone else had rest, and then were expected to come back and be leaders on a team that was more battered than ever. I give him a pass for that because he did get it going again down the stretch. And next year, there's no Olympics and you'd have to hope we'll be healthier and can give Alfie a role that he can thrive in more.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#982 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I get the impression Alfie will never win a cup.  This playoffs it looked like he wanted his team to get the cup for him more than he wanted to get it for himself.  He wasn't very good, and I was extremely excited when he came at the beginning of the year.

Lower back pain can do that to you. I know from 15+ years of experience.

About Mantha - I'm not saying I think he's fully ready. Certainly I wouldn't expect him to be a key player right away. I'm just looking at our window with Z and D and K, and...it's closing. The future's pretty much here anyway. Might as well open the door. (Within reason, of course.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#983 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

The one positive I take away from this series is that I hope Holland sees are far the Wings are really away from being Cup contenders. 

As a side rant, I said it at the time and I will say it again....Suter and Parise were worth paying long term big time money to. Especially if you had to pay Parise to get Suter.  Depth is much easier to find than elite players.  Don't be afraid to sign top end guys because you are afraid of losing Ericssons or players of that level.

#984 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Go columbus
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#985 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Don't Hang Your Heads Wing Fans,Be Proud Of Your Team,Even Though You Don't Like  The Results,You Are Still Fans Of The Detroit Red Wings

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState, 26 April 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#986 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

I could probably be alright with one of Legwand or Alfie back, but not both. I don't really see why Legwand would be necessary with Weiss healthy and a bunch of centers already on the roster. Alfie was not good after the Olympics, though injuries probably played a major role.

First order of business has to be fixing the defense.

My worry with Weiss is that he's not going to pan out. Then we'd have to find ourselves a 2C, who, given our annual injury woes, would probably have to be capable of holding down the 1C spot for around 20 games, maybe even in the playoffs. Plus, we do need to get bigger, especially down the middle. Weiss is tiny, Legwand is fairly big.

But, yes - the blue line is the big thing. God Almighty, the defense.

Edited by Dabura, 26 April 2014 - 05:26 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#987 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

There was a period of time after the Olympics where Alfie wasn't as good, but neither was Kronwall. They both had long Olympic runs while everyone else had rest, and then were expected to come back and be leaders on a team that was more battered than ever. I give him a pass for that because he did get it going again down the stretch. And next year, there's no Olympics and you'd have to hope we'll be healthier and can give Alfie a role that he can thrive in more.

I really wish they would stop sending players to The olympics. It injured zetterburg. Maybe put an age limit of 27 or something.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

#988 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

I love babs, i agree with him. Gotta get everybody healthy in the off season. Babs hates giving credit to other teams. U can see it lol

Makes no difference. Our team is s***.

You forget, even with a healthy team, our team had a losing record earlier in the season. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#989 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

The one positive I take away from this series is that I hope Holland sees are far the Wings are really away from being Cup contenders. 

As a side rant, I said it at the time and I will say it again....Suter and Parise were worth paying long term big time money to. Especially if you had to pay Parise to get Suter.  Depth is much easier to find than elite players.  Don't be afraid to sign top end guys because you are afraid of losing Ericssons or players of that level.

Suter and Parise didn't want to come here. They were pretty set on Minnesota.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#990 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I pretty much agree with everything you say here except maybe Legwand. At times, when he was not burried on the fourth line he was our most physical forward. He skated to the net and could actually use his body to protect the puck. If all the others leave, he could still have a spot on the team I think.

Legwand got screwed by the coach. he was pretty good. Despite the weakness of his line-mates, that line wasn't bad 5 on 5. The obsession with keeping the same lines with a different roster was just madness.

#991 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Liked hearing from Hank. They asked him to comment about "hey, at least you guys have the kids and the future looks bright, right?"

He responded with, "Not if we're gonna have results like this. Need to regroup". 

Kids blew and everyone knows it. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#992 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

I really wish they would stop sending players to The olympics. It injured zetterburg. Maybe put an age limit of 27 or something.

I don't wholly disagree, but I think Z's back was going to go real quick Olympics or not. In some ways, it might've been a blessing that he went this year as he was able to get the surgery done and then he had 2 weeks to start rehab where he wasn't missing games. If it had gone during a normal season, he would've been missing 2 more weeks of games at least. But overall, not sure how I feel about the Olympics. I love them and all, but they really do derail a season and set up some teams for some horrible issues.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#993 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

My worry with Weiss is that he's not going to pan out. Then we'd have to find ourselves a 2C, who, given our annual injury woes, would probably have to be capable of holding down the 1C spot for around 20 games, maybe even in the playoffs. Plus, we do need to get bigger, especially down the middle. Weiss is tiny, Legwand is fairly big.

But, yes - the blue line is the big thing. God Almighty, the defense.

If legwand wants to stay after being made a 4th liner by babs, and for a reasonable price, i'd definitely keep him. Cant assume Weiss is suddenly going to play at his peak. The guy is still injured and virtually hasn't played in 2 years 

#994 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

If legwand wants to stay after being made a 4th liner by babs, and for a reasonable price, i'd definitely keep him. Cant assume Weiss is suddenly going to play at his peak. The guy is still injured and virtually hasn't played in 2 years 

Right. (Not sarcasm. I agree.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#995 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Well that's a wrap! I wasn't a fan of the full effort in this series but as a full season it was fantastic! I look forward to next year more then ever, take what we can from this going forward and Let's go wings!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#996 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Makes no difference. Our team is s***.

You forget, even with a healthy team, our team had a losing record earlier in the season. 

We were healthy earlier in the season? When? I guess i don't remember lol

#997 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Kids like Nyquist and Tatar got us into the playoffs but they were silent/invisible ... all that experience in the Calder Cup didn't turn into anything.  Got to wait another year and see. 

#998 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

I don't wholly disagree, but I think Z's back was going to go real quick Olympics or not. In some ways, it might've been a blessing that he went this year as he was able to get the surgery done and then he had 2 weeks to start rehab where he wasn't missing games. If it had gone during a normal season, he would've been missing 2 more weeks of games at least. But overall, not sure how I feel about the Olympics. I love them and all, but they really do derail a season and set up some teams for some horrible issues.

Or he could have had surgery when the olympics started, then got 2 additional weeks of rest. :D

#999 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Not his 90 year old owner.  Probably doesn't even know we lost.  

OK, that's not really necessary. Chris Ilitch has already been running the show for years. He can fire KH whenever he wants, so blame him.

#1000 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Kids like Nyquist and Tatar got us into the playoffs but they were silent/invisible ... all that experience in the Calder Cup didn't turn into anything.  Got to wait another year and see. 

I wonder if boston just wised up and studied them. Those guys kinda came out of no where. Maybe during the season nobody took them seriously enough. We will see next season if it was a fluke