Photo
- - - - -

Capitals fire Oates, part ways with McPhee.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

From NHL:

Coach Adam Oates and general manager George McPhee will not be back with the Washington Capitals, the club announced Saturday morning.

McPhee, in the last year of his contract, will not have his contract renewed. Oates, in his second year as coach, was fired. The moves, in response to the club missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in seven years, were announced by owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick in a release Saturday morning.

The club will discuss the moves in a 4 p.m. press conference Saturday.

I am a little surprised by both being let go.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm not surprised.

McPhee was a great fighter, but not a good GM.  The team never did well in the playoffs and could barely get past the second round.  Oates was the coach on the first team to miss the playoffs in a long time for Washington.

I think they missed their window of opportunity to win a Cup.  It'll be interesting to see what Washington will build around Ovechkin.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 26 April 2014 - 12:15 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

So, is this a case of ownership now looking for the right managerial mix who can build a team around Ovechkin? 

This of course assumes that they cap win a Stanley Cup with a team built around him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#4 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Kind of surprised that Oates got the ax this soon.  Two years isn't a lot of time.

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Kind of surprised that Oates got the ax this soon.  Two years isn't a lot of time.

My impression is there's not a single Caps fan on Earth who approves of anything Oates has done, aside from getting Ovie going again. Even the lethal power play is really just Ovie burying one-timers from the same spot over and over and over again.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Good call. These two were just mucking about. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#7 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I see Paul Fenton going in as GM, and bringing Barry Trotz along as his head coach. Oates if he's smart will go back to being an assistant in New Jersey. Not sure about McPhee, I'm sure he has some use to an organization as an assistant GM or consultant. Could be the kind of guy Brian Burke wants in Calgary. 

#NOMOREKINDL

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

McPhee is the ideal guy for Burke in Calgary. Basically a yes man, who can build a playoff team just doesn't get them far. With this construction Burke could pull the strings behind the scenes and McPhee would just be a figure head, doing all the talking/signings.

As for Oates read a pretty good article in the washington post about him and all I can say is wow, was this guy ever sure of himself. The next GM in Washington has a tough decision to make, do I trade Ovie and start the rebuild or not ? Trotz would be a great coach for the capitals, he knows how to create a defensive system and get blood from a stone. Although I'm not sure if he would like the scrutiny in Washington.

TL must be really pissed with this season good for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#9 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Trotz for replacement for sure. Trade Ovie to Edmonton lol.

#10 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Kenny, move in before anyone in Washington thinks and steal ovie! grab Carlson while on the raid and we are nearly cup ready!

#11 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

My impression is there's not a single Caps fan on Earth who approves of anything Oates has done, aside from getting Ovie going again. Even the lethal power play is really just Ovie burying one-timers from the same spot over and over and over again.

Is there anyone out there capable of 'coaching' this team other than having the universe revolve around 'Ovie'?

Me thinks there could be a revolving door in DC.

'Evolution' created by Offsides