• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Capitals fire Oates, part ways with McPhee.

Rate this topic

From NHL:

Coach Adam Oates and general manager George McPhee will not be back with the Washington Capitals, the club announced Saturday morning.

McPhee, in the last year of his contract, will not have his contract renewed. Oates, in his second year as coach, was fired. The moves, in response to the club missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in seven years, were announced by owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick in a release Saturday morning.

The club will discuss the moves in a 4 p.m. press conference Saturday.

I am a little surprised by both being let go.

I'm not surprised.

McPhee was a great fighter, but not a good GM. The team never did well in the playoffs and could barely get past the second round. Oates was the coach on the first team to miss the playoffs in a long time for Washington.

I think they missed their window of opportunity to win a Cup. It'll be interesting to see what Washington will build around Ovechkin.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Kind of surprised that Oates got the ax this soon. Two years isn't a lot of time.

My impression is there's not a single Caps fan on Earth who approves of anything Oates has done, aside from getting Ovie going again. Even the lethal power play is really just Ovie burying one-timers from the same spot over and over and over again.

I see Paul Fenton going in as GM, and bringing Barry Trotz along as his head coach. Oates if he's smart will go back to being an assistant in New Jersey. Not sure about McPhee, I'm sure he has some use to an organization as an assistant GM or consultant. Could be the kind of guy Brian Burke wants in Calgary.

McPhee is the ideal guy for Burke in Calgary. Basically a yes man, who can build a playoff team just doesn't get them far. With this construction Burke could pull the strings behind the scenes and McPhee would just be a figure head, doing all the talking/signings.

As for Oates read a pretty good article in the washington post about him and all I can say is wow, was this guy ever sure of himself. The next GM in Washington has a tough decision to make, do I trade Ovie and start the rebuild or not ? Trotz would be a great coach for the capitals, he knows how to create a defensive system and get blood from a stone. Although I'm not sure if he would like the scrutiny in Washington.

TL must be really pissed with this season good for him.